Distillery only bottlings

gerrymueller
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll be going on my second trip to the area soon and I'm looking for recommendations on items to purchase that are only available onsite at the distilleries. When I visited in Nov. 2013, I did all of the distilleries on the trail plus Willet and Buffalo Trace. Planning on going to the new ones, Bulleit and Evan Williams Experience this time around, in addition to the Hardhat tour at BT and a visit to Copper & Kings (We Wisconsin boys do like our Brandy!)

I purchased and like Old Tub at Jim Beam, so I'll be picking up some more of those. Love anything BIB. And still have a bottle of American Stillhouse to drink from there. Didn't care for the Maker's Mark white dog. BT had their Rain vodka that was pretty good for a gift, but not my style.

So anyways, what are some other bottles that I can get at the gift shops. Rumor has it Heaven Hill has some bottles, but don't know what. Anything at Wild Turkey? Any others?

Thanks much!

Gerry

Heaven Hill has some interesting giftshop-only bottles, but they're pretty pricy.

Four Roses usually has some good barrel proofers in the gift shop.

If you visit Heaven Hill, try to do the "Whiskey Connoisseur Experience" tour - which is a 30 second tour followed by a high-end tasting of some of those gift-shop only offerings (plus you get a nice tasting glass!)

I recently had me some and have a bottle of the William Heavenhill from there... pretty tasty stuff, but not cheap, also the Very Special OF12 isn't too bad either, and I think it was $49.99 somethingish.

The Very Special OF12 was $39.99 last weekend at the gift shop. They also had the William Heavenhill 3rd edition for $129.99. and EC 23 YO at $279.99. Also Heaven Hill Select Stock for $149.99. Evan Williams Experience in Louisville had the Evan Williams 12 YO Red label for $129.99 and the 23 YO Evan Williams for $289.99.

Willett had a 22 YO for $319.99 (ran out before I got there), the 10 and 12 YO family estates (can't remember the prices) and a 25 YO rye for $389.99. MM had Cask Strength for $79.99...but was $62.99 and available at all the Liquor Barns.

Buffalo Trace only has the Wheatley vodka (which my wife loves) that's not available anywhere else.

Didn't make it to the "Bulliet" experience in L'ville, the Beam distillery or the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve distillery or Four Roses. Only had 1 day....

The Very Special OF12 was $39.99 last weekend at the gift shop. They also had the William Heavenhill 3rd edition for $129.99. and EC 23 YO at $279.99. Also Heaven Hill Select Stock for $149.99. Evan Williams Experience in Louisville had the Evan Williams 12 YO Red label for $129.99 and the 23 YO Evan Williams for $289.99.

Willett had a 22 YO for $319.99 (ran out before I got there), the 10 and 12 YO family estates (can't remember the prices) and a 25 YO rye for $389.99. MM had Cask Strength for $79.99...but was $62.99 and available at all the Liquor Barns.

Buffalo Trace only has the Wheatley vodka (which my wife loves) that's not available anywhere else.

Didn't make it to the "Bulliet" experience in L'ville, the Beam distillery or the 1792 Ridgemont Reserve distillery or Four Roses. Only had 1 day....

I heard the Willett 22 YO was a wheater. Nice but pricey.

• 3 months later...

(My inaugural post)

I recently (just 2 weeks ago) rode the trail over 3 days. Rain aside, it was fantastic. One thing I learned: bring someone in a car to pace you. There are so many great "distillery only" offerings, as well as all the other goodies, but I could only carry a few in the backpack.

What I narrowed it down to: A 15yo Orphan bottle of Forged Oak from Bulleit (my buddy grabbed a 21yo Orphan Barrel... It was great), and a bottle of Town Branch single barrel. The TB SB was a pleasant surprise. I just had to get one.

There were just too many. I felt like I was leaving a man behind. Evan Williams has a red label (not to familiar with EW) that is bottled for the Japanese market, but luckily a friend will be heading back to Louisville soon to get us each a bottle.

Obviously there are others, but these weren't mentioned previously.

Some nice stuff at those gift shops, eh? Maybe a 'drag-behind' trailer next time rather than a back pack, huh? HA-HA!

Welcome to 'the board', BS! HAVE FUN!!!!

Evan Williams has a red label (not to familiar with EW) that is bottled for the Japanese market, but luckily a friend will be heading back to Louisville soon to get us each a bottle.

Has anyone had this EW red label? Is it that much different / better than EC12 to justify that cost?

Oh, and welcome aboard? ;)

I don't see how it could be called better in any sense except for those who's taste preference runs toward more wood in the expression. For me the Heaven Hill profile peaks at about 8 and I prefer the nose of the basic Evan Williams Black label over any of the older ones.

Has anyone had this EW red label? Is it that much different / better than EC12 to justify that cost?

Oh, and welcome aboard? ;)

I've had the EW 12 that is sold in Japan. It's actually slightly cheaper that EC 12 in Tokyo.

I would describe the EW 12 as easy drinking and inoffensive. Not bad for an everyday pour, but I wouldn't spend more than about $25 on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.