Which Whiskey Cocktail Book is the best, in your opinion - I need to get one!

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As far as I can remember, I have never owned a cocktail mixing book. I know there are many wonderful drinks that can be made from the Whiskeys, Bourbons, Ryes, Scotchs, etc. that we all enjoy.

I need suggestions on which is the best book to get now days, to learn. I need to get one very soon!

I would suggest "The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks". Great classic recipes written in old timely language that's enjoyable to read even if you're not looking for a particular recipe.

[h=1]"Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails" [/h]is a fun read, and has a ton of recipes in it.

They stray pretty far from the classics with some of their variations, but they provide good info on what made them classics in the first place.

It'll give you a good foundation and encourage you to experiment.

The Ultimate Bar Book, Mittie Hellmich - about 1000 recipes, handy size. I give this one to newbies on birthdays, etc.

The PDT Cocktail Book, Jim Meecham & Chris Gall - recipes and hints if you are "serious" about making cocktails.

Craft of the Cocktail, Dale DeGroff - also has recipes and hints plus some history.

The Bar Book, Jeffrey Morganthaler - a few recipes and a wealth of info on tools, prep, etc.

For fun - The Savoy Cocktail Book by Harry Craddock (circa 1925) has been reprinted. BUT, the reprint of this classic Savoy Hotel (London) barbook has no index.

I suggest finding at least one nonalcoholic cocktail book - pregnant people and people on drugs will appreciate your thoughtfulness. I also inherited an old paperback Playboy Cocktail book which I use for light drinkers - all the recipes are sized to what people drank in the late 1960s- most use ONE ounce or less of the primary spirit. Some of us count that as spillage nowadays.

There's a book I really enjoy called Imbide. It has history and recipes of the classics. Joy of Mixology by Gary Reagan is good for more modern stuff. The standby for bartenders is Mr. Boston.

Have to suggest The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan. While it’s a full on cocktail book there is a fair amount dedicated to bourbon and rye (some scotch) and the recipe specs are very traditional plus it has every classical imaginable if you want to start trying out new liquors. If you do get it, you will notice that specific bottles are called for in each drink, but after a lot of playing around I’ve noticed most are interchangeable with whatever brand you have around. There is also a great breakdown on which modifiers and bitters to look out for and step by step for all sorts of syrups and infusions which are really simple once you try them out. This was my first cocktail book and really got me into everything a few years back…plus the bar itself is amazing.

Thanks guys, lots of good suggestion. Now, which one to get? :rolleyes:

I love Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails. Not just whiskey but gives you the history behind them and variations. Wife and I are working through the book.post-5814-14489822266898_thumb.jpgpost-5814-14489822266898_thumb.jpg

post-5814-14489822266319_thumb.jpg

You may want to check out "The Kentucky Bourbon Cocktail Book" by Joy Perrine and Susan Reigler. I don't know Susan Reigler, but I've met Joy Perrine a number of times. A few other SB members are probably familiar with her too. Sometimes known as "The Bad Girl Of Bourbon", she's hosted mixology classes during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival at the General Nelson's Carriage Room. After her classes, she's joined us at the gazebo, and as per proper etiquette, she's always brought something to add to the table. There's never a dull moment when she's around. :cool: Great gal, and very knowledgeable.

post-3455-14489822267509_thumb.jpeg

You may want to check out "The Kentucky Bourbon Cocktail Book" by Joy Perrine and Susan Reigler. I don't know Susan Reigler, but I've met Joy Perrine a number of times. A few other SB members are probably familiar with her too. Sometimes known as "The Bad Girl Of Bourbon", she's hosted mixology classes during the Kentucky Bourbon Festival at the General Nelson's Carriage Room. After her classes, she's joined us at the gazebo, and as per proper etiquette, she's always brought something to add to the table. There's never a dull moment when she's around. :cool: Great gal, and very knowledgeable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20702[/ATTACH]

Great call, Joe. Joy is a delight, and whips up some spectacular cocktails. Just having spent time with her, and having enjoyed her hospitality at KBF makes the cocktails in her book all the more enjoyable to make.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20702[/ATTACH]

I'll second that Joe - Great call! An awesome book that is one of my top 5 go-to books for cocktails, and probably my top go-to for bourbon based cocktails.

If I could add one generic cocktail suggestion:

Hand Crafted Cocktails by Molly Wellmann

And a couple of bourbon specific suggestions:

The Kentucky Mint Julep by Joe Nickell

The Old Fashioned: An Essential Guide to the Original Whiskey Cocktail by Albert Schmid

Lots of good suggestions here, most of which I own and use, so no need to add much more except that Imbibe by David Wondrich was just recently revised and updated with even more cocktail recipes. A great read in general and be sure to get the 2015 version if you don't have it yet.

My favorite for a few truly odd but interesting cocktails (not all of which are whiskey based) is a tiny paperback book with maybe 25 or so recipes is called the "Beta Cocktails" by Kirk Estopinal and Maksum Pazuniak, a couple of bartenders who solicited creative original cocktail recipe contributions from bartenders from all over the country and originally made a small hand made book for other bartenders. Later editions were printed but I have no idea how many were made. Probably not a lot. Not even sure if you can still find this!

You need a pretty diverse liquor cabinet and a sense of adventure to make some of the Beta Cocktail recipes! At least one showed up at a past sampler I believe. it is a personal favorite.

Transatlantic Giant

1.5 Buffalo Trace bourbon

0.5 Smith & Cross rum

0.5 Cynar

0.5 sloe gin (Plymouth)

0.5 Creme de Cacao (brizzard)

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain and serve up

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.