New Kid On The Block; Whiskey on the Rocks

B_Dub___Cigar_Ambassador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just opened a bottle of the ec18 last week. I like it better than the ec12. Actually I am one of the weird ones who does not care much for the ec12. I only enjoy it with a bit of ice believe it or not. The ec18 is a wonderful pour straight, the only odd thing is it has alot more alcohol burn in the nose for a 90 proof bourbon. Even in the palate there is a bit more burn than I thought I would detect. But even with that, it is still a very decent pour and I will definately be buying another bottle.

... would you feel it's safe to say if you like the 12yo you'll love the 18yo?

I know you asked Tom, but may I offer my opinion, as well?

I love EC12. During the last two years, even with my buying everything I can get my hands on just to try it, I've consumed two 750s, one 1.75, and I'm about to crack a new 750 that I bought last week.

I finally finished my lone bottle of EC18 by making Manhattans with it. The bottom line for me is that there's just too much wood taste -- and scorched wood, at that. I'll probably buy another bottle in a year or two, but only to see if my taste has changed.

No, liking EC12 is not a reliable predictor that one will like EC18.

One man's opinion, but true in my own case.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I just made a quick read of this but did not see Elijah Craig 12 or 18. The 12 is near perfect and a good value. Give them a try when you have the time and $$$. grin.gif

I have seen you guys talking about the Elijah Craig. I will get some of the 12yo on my next phase of aquisition. Thanks!

You dont need the cigar, and yes I think the bourbon is quite good, but the catch here is I think it tastes very little like EC 12. At the risk of sounding trite, it is like no other bourbon you have ever tried, in a good way.

It is a tad on the woody side, though, and the cigar helps smooth that out.

TomC

I have had two bottles of the EC 18yo, and both were distinctly different from one another (the curse of the single barrel). They both had a bold woody flavor (which I like), but one was rather harsh while the other was noticably smokey and more complex than the other. I loved the smokey-tasting bottle but the other one was not as pleasing to my taste. So it was a split decision for me. Guess I'll just have to get another bottle as a tie-breaker!

• 2 weeks later...

I completely concur with Dave and SpeedyJohn! I was intending to write almost the exact same things till I got down to their posts! So just a few more comments:

I would certainly delete the Bushmill's 10yo. You don't need much young Irish single malt.

I would seriously consider adding:

Springbank 175th anniverary--this is a classic SMS distillery.

Longrow 10yo (either '92 or '93) very peated malt from Springbank.

Campbeltown Loch 25. Very old Springbank is currently almost impossible to find except in this great blend.

Century Reserve 13yo Single Cask Canadian. If you like the other Canadians you've tried you owe yourself this one.

Jameson 12yo would be the classic Irish blend. Great to compare with the Powers.

George T. Stagg barrel proof, you need this ASAP before it is gone!

Wow. I've only heard of two of those. Thanks for the rare suggestions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.