Parker's Heritage Collection 9th 2015 Malted Barley

miller542
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last years PHC was probably my favorite LE release of last bourbon season. I'm going to have to roll the dice and trust Mr. Beam.

I agree at least as to the 127.4 did you have that one or the 126.8?

I agree at least as to the 127.4 did you have that one or the 126.8?

My bottles were 127.4. Your about to make me get a pour of it now. I think I will.

Hopefully people's concerns about the oddity of this release will put some brakes on the scramble to snap this bottle up. All it takes is one positive review of course and that's out the window :)

Hopefully people's concerns about the oddity of this release will put some brakes on the scramble to snap this bottle up. All it takes is one positive review of course and that's out the window :)

I rarely reach for a Scotch, but I'm intrigued for the same reasons stated by everyone else. Does anyone know of another bottling with a similar mash bill?

I rarely reach for a Scotch, but I'm intrigued for the same reasons stated by everyone else. Does anyone know of another bottling with a similar mash bill?

MGP started making a 51% corn/49% malted barley bourbon mashbill a couple of years ago but don't know if it is out yet and obviously nowhere near as old.

MGP started making a 51% corn/49% malted barley bourbon mashbill a couple of years ago but don't know if it is out yet and obviously nowhere near as old.

Good to know that if we like the PHC that there is hope for something that might be in the same ballpark down the road.

• 4 months later...

Looks like this is starting to make it out into the wild. If you get a bottle of this year's PHC, please share your thoughts.

Looks like this is starting to make it out into the wild. If you get a bottle of this year's PHC, please share your thoughts.

I have managed to acquire one but allocations to stores seem to be miniscule so far. Will try to get to it soon but it may take a while. Next week I hope.

I find it to be 'Unique', as I expected it to be. It's well-made, not over-aged by any means. A bit more time in the barrel may have put it closer to my preference point.

I would describe it (using shorthand) to be a cross between Bourbon and blended Scotch, also; 'as I expected'.

I can't say yet if I find it to be any sort of bargain. I expect I'll never love it that much; but... ..Am I sorry I bought it? NO!

Being Parker's last-issued-PH (although I suspect he has at least a few things aging, that he laid down, with the intended purpose being PH) makes it worth having IMHO.

I will post a better review in this thread after I've had a chance to really 'taste' it at leisure, and after it gets a bit more 'air time'.....

I can't help but view this one the way I do most of the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection offerings.

On the surface, I agree with you B3. But, the Parker's doesn't induce gag reflexes...:D

Actually, I found it pretty good. I still need some more time in contemplation mode with it, as I've not been able to wrap my head around what I'm tasting. It's not as different as I thought it would be, and I'm guessing that my preconceptions of something whacked going in have me screwed up.

I haven't had a chance yet to try mine but 35% corn and aging in new barrels (at least I think that is what I remember reading) almost has to make this a bit more bourbon like, especially when compared to the 100% Woodford malt, doesn't it?

Would be interesting to compare it to the 51 Corn/49 malt that MGP is making but that is nowhere near old enough yet.

I picked up a bottle today - planning to open it this weekend with some friends who are building a flagship program around locally distilled Colorado malt whiskey. I've been lucky enough to taste all of their initial release barrels and I've been encouraging them to offer a portion of the production at cask strength - so this will be an interesting thing to share despite very different philosophies and mashbills.

BTW - it was on stocked on the shelf at a local shop......

• 3 weeks later...

Had a chance to crack open my bottle tonight. For me, it didn't do much. I found it to be a bit flat. Not much going on. In the finish is where I started to pick up on the scotch characteristics, mainly, that medicinal taste. Again, not a ton but it was noticeable.

One thing to mention about me, my palate is far from trained. As for scotch, don't drink much as I've always been turned off by that medicinal taste prominent in most scotches. To date, the only single malts I can drink are (from favorite to least) Aberlour 12 NCF, Macallan 12, Glenfarclas 12 and Highland Park 12.

I get the feeling this year's release won't be near as popular as years past. Lots of people posting this in the "what you passed up" thread, odd mashbill, and ever-increasing price all indicate this is not quite up to the standard or value of the others in the Parker's Heritage line.

I love experiments and would love to try a 375 of this for maybe $25 or so, but leave the Parker's Heritage line to more "standard" offerings. If the Parker's Heritage line will be HH's way of bringing experimental items to market, I'm less excited going forward and doubt I'll pay $90 or $100 for it.

Hit mine again this afternoon. Not to really analyze, just to enjoy, which I did.

It really has grown on me. I like the rich, almost oily mouth feel, and the sorta smoky/sweet flavor which holds for a good long time through the finish. Unique, and enjoyable; just not Bourbon.

I had the opportunity to drink it again several times over the past few days and continue to find it very enjoyable. If it not as popular with others so much the better for me! But so far it still seems to be hard to find.

Had a chance to crack open my bottle tonight. For me, it didn't do much. I found it to be a bit flat. Not much going on. In the finish is where I started to pick up on the scotch characteristics, mainly, that medicinal taste. Again, not a ton but it was noticeable.

One thing to mention about me, my palate is far from trained. As for scotch, don't drink much as I've always been turned off by that medicinal taste prominent in most scotches. To date, the only single malts I can drink are (from favorite to least) Aberlour 12 NCF, Macallan 12, Glenfarclas 12 and Highland Park 12.

ditto

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2015, 4:14:46, miller542 said:

I get the feeling this year's release won't be near as popular as years past. Lots of people posting this in the "what you passed up" thread, odd mashbill, and ever-increasing price all indicate this is not quite up to the standard or value of the others in the Parker's Heritage line.

I love experiments and would love to try a 375 of this for maybe $25 or so, but leave the Parker's Heritage line to more "standard" offerings. If the Parker's Heritage line will be HH's way of bringing experimental items to market, I'm less excited going forward and doubt I'll pay $90 or $100 for it.

Finally showed up here, $100+tax.  Yep, I'm passing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.