Four Roses Single Barrel Vs Four Roses Small Batch

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thats exactly how the market is here in KC. Hell, a few stores had their BP store picks on sale for $38.99.... after opening the 1 I bought (OESV @122.4) I went back and bought 7 more.

My local prices in South Jersey are $29.99 for the FRSmB and $35.99 for the FRSB. Store picks of barrel proof SB's run $50 to 55.

Thought the SmB was OK - wouldn't refuse a glass if it was handed to me. Tried a glass of the SB and promptly went back and got 2 more bottles. Stunning stuff if you like rye-heavy bourbon...

Good move considering they are now gone from LCBO and you never know if they will come back in stock.

Good move considering they are now gone from LCBO and you never know if they will come back in stock.

Sigh...it feels like I have to bunker anything to ensure a supply...

After seeing this thread I decided to go pick up a bottle of 4RSmB to try. 4RSB is what helped lure me away from single malt scotch exclusively, so I am probably biased but I didn't think the 4RSmB was nearly as good as the SB. I tasted them side by side over the course of an hour allowing them plenty of time to open up in the glencairn glasses and even though the SmB got better it never had the same complexity or depth of flavor. I will definitely be doing several more tastings just to be sure of my findings. ;-)

Cheers! -BE

SB being $25 more than SmB strikes me as outlandish and stupid. At most places I've been to, the SB is usually about 10 bucks or so more than SmB.

Kicking that rant aside, I started with SmB, liked it a lot, and then I got some SB. Whenever I have a reasonable choice between SmB and SB, I typically select SB because of its higher proof and more complex character (to me). If you get a chance to get some single recipe barrel proof versions of FR, do yourself a favor and get some. I really like FRSB but also really enjoy the single barrel offerings, especially OESK.

Here's a link to FR's infographic about the ten recipes: http://fourrosesbourbon.com/four-roses-bourbon-infographic/

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my first bottle of FRSB. I enjoy it very much, it is good with a nice finish. Honestly tastes similar IMHO to OWA/W12. Maybe a bit more flavorful?

Bought my first bottle of FRSB. I enjoy it very much, it is good with a nice finish. Honestly tastes similar IMHO to OWA/W12. Maybe a bit more flavorful?

Whoa.....I've never made that comparison, but hey, that's why this hobby is so great - there's something for everyone and nobody's taste buds are alike.

I'll be honest and say I didn't care for either one of them when I first opened them. Actually thought of giving them away to a buddy of mine who worships them. He told to not to give up on em and keep trying. So I did. And dang am I glad I took his advice. Once they both opened up and got some air in their bottles they became my go-to pours, along with a couple others.

If I had to choose between the two though.....I'd pick the SB. Its just more flavorful to me..and lacks some of the oakiness of the smB.

Whoa.....I've never made that comparison, but hey, that's why this hobby is so great - there's something for everyone and nobody's taste buds are alike.

Just my initial thoughts...I just started drinking bourbons. I've only purchased owa, w12, ec12 and this. And this was my first sip.[emoji6]

The numbers on this "groundbreaking" make no sense to me. Check out the end of this article:

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Lieutenant-Governor-marks-start-of-Four-Roses-Distillery-expansion-in-Anderson-Co-306161911.html

"The expansion in Anderson County is set to be completed in 2018 and those new warehouses are expected to be operational by 2022."

So it takes seven years to build a rack house? Do they have to finish growing the trees to get the wood or something?

Even the stills project - three years?

These are very puzzling timelines. Rack houses strike me as reasonably simple construction. Especially the 4R low-height ones...

I think there's only one company that builds the rickhouses and they are at capacity building rickhouses for everyone. It could be that their availability is out a couple years. Not sure if this applies to Four Roses since they don't use the traditional multi-story warehouses but it's a possible explanation.

Three years for the still does not surprise me. Adding onto an existing working facility while maintaining functionality is a logistical challenge. The bigger part of the puzzle is all of the approvals and permitting for hazardous functions such as distilling. The regulatory process can be time consuming.

But don't look for a cinnamon Four Roses: "You can print this in bold letters: That will never, ever happen. As long as I'm around. ... As a purist, that will never happen as long as I'm master distiller.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/06/04/3884617_four-roses-celebrates-55-million.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

best part of that story.

I think there's only one company that builds the rickhouses and they are at capacity building rickhouses for everyone. It could be that their availability is out a couple years.

I thought about that but if that's the case it's not a "groundbreaking".

I suppose on the regulatory.

The article seems to say there will be 4 new rackhouses in 7yrs. Strange the way they phrased it "as operational in 2022". By that description they should have a new one every 2yrs, which still sounds like a long time to build a simple structure that requires no interior finishing, plumbing, and minimal electrical.

I like how he said "first of an expected 13". I suppose we can look forward to that in 2042.

I thought about that but if that's the case it's not a "groundbreaking".

I suppose on the regulatory.

The article seems to say there will be 4 new rackhouses in 7yrs. Strange the way they phrased it "as operational in 2022". By that description they should have a new one every 2yrs, which still sounds like a long time to build a simple structure that requires no interior finishing, plumbing, and minimal electrical.

I like how he said "first of an expected 13". I suppose we can look forward to that in 2042.

Shhhh, Paul...You're going to wake up the Conspiracy Theorists over in the Masters Keep thread. :lol:

For me the best part of the story is they plan to eventually offer the Platinum in the US market.

One thing is clear... the master distiller at 4R is in charge, and obviously entrusted to keep the ship 'right'!

Too bad we can't say that for all the other distillery's, where the MD's appear to be playing second fiddle to the whims of the board and/or marketing division.

^^^^^This, which increases my respect for what they do, and, makes me fearful for the day Rutledge retires. I wish we knew what the succession plan was. Until we know, I will continue to stock up on their fine product.

Shhhh, Paul...You're going to wake up the Conspiracy Theorists over in the Masters Keep thread. :lol:

Thanks to your post it's all coming together for me, Joe - Wild Turkey distilled Master's Keep in the FUTURE using 4R's unbuilt still, and REVERSE-AGED them in the unbuilt 4R rackhouses, which LOWERED the proof.

Mind. Blown.

I like both, but might lean more towards the small batch for now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.