What ever happened to Randolph Scott?

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

SBers of a certain age notice that bourbons have changed over the years. Makes me wonder what ever happened to good Old Whateveritwas BIB. I remember a post from somebody who claimed that Old Crow must be a great bourbon because it was General Grant's drink of choice. The 4R I remember from the '60s was horrid stuff. Some bourbons have gotten much worse over the years. Some have become infinitely better. Some have been resurrected by distillers who bought the name but found that resurrecting the flavor is a feat of a higher order. Some have lost proof and/or an age statement. Some have gained a single-barrel iteration.

What bourbon do you miss the most from your misspent youth? For extra credit, name a bourbon, other than 4R, that has actually gotten better.

Oh, that's easy, Yellowstone 7 yr 90 proof and the slightly upgraded Yellowstone Mellow Mash. Pretty much reduced to plonk in recent years lets hope the relaunch deal with Limestone Landing brings this one back to it's former glory.

I could add Grand Dad and Forester are relatively unchanged from years ago but the whisky in the mix is younger across the board and I believe the brands have suffered a bit because of it. Not bad mind you, just slightly more edge than previously. Arguably they are cleaner and more consistent than heretofore but less characterful as well.

Oh, that's easy, Yellowstone 7 yr 90 proof and the slightly upgraded Yellowstone Mellow Mash. Pretty much reduced to plonk in recent years lets hope the relaunch deal with Limestone Landing brings this one back to it's former glory.

I bought some Yellowstone in Yellowstone a few years ago. Should have gotten a T-shirt instead.

Benchmark used to be much better when it was a Seagram's brand.

(The Four Roses available in the US in the 1960s was a blended whiskey, not bourbon, according to the company).

Olde Bourbon was a brand Dad (famous for still having his first nickel when he passed) claimed to like. The couple times I snuck a few sips I thought it to be some sort of bug killer. He bought and drank it, I'm sure, because it was the cheapest stuff he could find. I don't recall seeing the brand after about .....1970??? S,o the fact that it's still gone from the marketplace is a definite improvement. Anybody else recall this one?

Olde Bourbon was a brand Dad (famous for still having his first nickel when he passed) claimed to like. The couple times I snuck a few sips I thought it to be some sort of bug killer. He bought and drank it, I'm sure, because it was the cheapest stuff he could find. I don't recall seeing the brand after about .....1970??? S,o the fact that it's still gone from the marketplace is a definite improvement. Anybody else recall this one?

Was there an extra-aged version for a couple bucks more called Old Olde or maybe Ancient Old Olde?

Was there an extra-aged version for a couple bucks more called Old Olde or maybe Ancient Old Olde?

Don't recall; but certainly coulda been. The only one Dad kept was the 'regular 'Olde'.

Don't recall; but certainly coulda been. The only one Dad kept was the 'regular 'Olde'.

Sorry. I was just jerking you around with word play on Ancient Ancient Age and all the other Old(e) Whatever bourbons.

Sorry. I was just jerking you around with word play on Ancient Ancient Age and all the other Old(e) Whatever bourbons.

Yes, I remember Olde Bourbon from my college days. Don't remember much about it except it was cheap.

90 proof Jack Daniels. Other than younger whiskey in the mix now, I think we have so much more variety and choices. I think with distillery expansion and some easing of demand, there will be some older whiskey more available in the future. I would like to see more age statements, too. That why I like bonded whiskey, you know it is aged a minimum of 4 years, it is a more pure product and they are still relative inexpensive.

Edited by kaiserhog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.