A cheat sheet for all of the abbreviations?

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can figure out a few and I am clueless about many. I normally just ignore the ones I can't decipher and just move on, but that is not helping with my education. I have looked around for a cheat sheet not no joy yet. Can anyone point me to a source so I can be a bit less clueless? :thankyousign:

Cheers.

I thought I read a reference to one on here, obviously I did not look good enough.

Thanks Squire, your my newest hero. :cool:

Why can't people type the name of the whiskey? Why should it be necessary to refer to a list of abbreviations?

I've often wondered this myself, as it certainly complicates things for newcomers. I swing back and forth between typing out the words and using the abbreviations, finding the "shorthand" useful when referring to the (fairly) obvious (i.e.-WT101, OGD, etc.). But even after being an active member now for roughly 7 years, I am sometimes stumped as hell myself by things that people type, especially when referring to special bottlings and limited releases. Like Darwin, I am prone to simply skipping over some posts if I find the decoding too laborious.

I think it's something that has crept into the vernacular due to messaging from keypads. OMG, WTF, it would seem the kids communicate in acronyms.

I try to keep my posts legible enough that a new member doesn't need a decoder ring.

I'm kinda with you, Fricky as well as Unclebunk. I generally am able to understand the abbreviations; but occasionally encounter one that stumps me.

I think it is probably off-putting to some newcomers. I wonder if some newbies feel like it's a kind of 'secret handshake', or some form of initiation that they must go through.

I often type the entire name of brands, especially if they are less commonly available ones, just for the less-initiated.

I suppose I too, sometimes abbreviate, making my meaning less clear, just to save keystrokes; thus saving wear and tear on my one good typing finger. HA!

Hopefully I/we'll be able to provide some updates to the abbreviation list when the new site goes online. In the mean time, if any of y'all have any that aren't currently on the list, send me a pm. I'll make a list.

Cheers! Joe

I'm with ya Doug, but it's a little late for that ;)

The new forum software we are preparing to deploy has acronym expansion functionality. In English, that means that when you move your mouse cursor over "GTS" in a thread, a little box will appear next to it that says "George T. Stagg". Granted, it can't do that for anything it hasn't been told about, and building up the list will take awhile, but it will deprecate that ancient post referenced earlier in this thread.

I'm with ya Doug, but it's a little late for that ;)

The new forum software we are preparing to deploy has acronym expansion functionality. In English, that means that when you move your mouse cursor over "GTS" in a thread, a little box will appear next to it that says "George T. Stagg". Granted, it can't do that for anything it hasn't been told about, and building up the list will take awhile, but it will deprecate that ancient post referenced earlier in this thread.

For us newcomers this will help tremendously...thanks much

Why can't people type the name of the whiskey? Why should it be necessary to refer to a list of abbreviations?

Seriously. Is it really that hard to type it all out. Glad someone else feels the same way.

Gotta learn the lingo, jargon, etc. After my son started working off shore, he began using the industry jargon and acronyms in talking about what he does. I have no idea what he's talking about most of the time.

New abbreviations have popped up since I joined. Some of them just haven't seeped into my brain yet. It took me several weeks before I knew what SAOS is without having to think about it. I finally found a bottle. I won't forget now. OTO, I have forgotten where to find the abbreviation cheat sheet here. I'm sure I found one when I first arrived. It wasn't comprehensive but it oriented my thinking which makes keeping up and figuring out new ones easier. Unfortunately, something like OCD won't let me pass over unrecognized ones without some level of irritability.

Kudos to you guys for planning updates. One of my favorite hobby sites died because the administrators ignored it, didn't actually use it, etc. I can't see that happening here.

Edit: Thanks for posting that link to the abbreviation list, Squire. It's right where it should be.

Edited by dean_martin

I saw the SAOS thread and looked at the cheat sheet, no joy. Google gave me Scottish Agricultural Organisation Society. I have now lost interest... :smil41df29a15fb35:

Edit. Johnny clued me in, thanks! :cool:

Edited by Darwin

Using the cheat sheet, and with a little effort, you learn. That's part of the journey. And you can always ask.

Also, some of the abbreviations have worked there way into the boubonia language, like GTS and OWA, and others. Learn and have fun. We've all been there at one time.

It's like learning a mini-language. At first you'll stop at each acronym or abbreviation and think about it to translate it in your head before continuing. Eventually it becomes automatic and you don't even notice the difference between abbreviations and the long names.

I was new once and was stumped by some of the acronyms. The abbreviation list was my friend and I figured them out pretty quickly. There were always new ones to test my instincts, but I always figured them out quickly. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's a big deal. They aren't hard to figure out. Some people aren't the best typists so the abbreviations help. They don't bother me.

Typing out the full name is easy on a computer, but on a phone it can get tedious so I get why we use them a lot. That said, if the thread is about a specific bottle or maker then using abbreviations in all but title won't cause any confusion. If it is a general thread like, what are you drinking, then yeah it can get confusing at times. When in doubt just ask, but it will come to you eventually.

Typing out the full name is easy on a computer, but on a phone it can get tedious so I get why we use them a lot.

On a phone??? How do you get the right mix of letters? Whenever I rotate the dial on my phone, it calls out a single number; but three letters. HA! :slappin:

Typing out the full name is easy on a computer, but on a phone it can get tedious so I get why we use them a lot.

On a phone??? How do you get the right mix of letters? Whenever I rotate the dial on my phone, it calls out a single number; but three letters. HA! :slappin:

ROTFLMFAO. Decode that beeetches!!!:grin:

The new forum software we are preparing to deploy has acronym expansion functionality. In English, that means that when you move your mouse cursor over "GTS" in a thread, a little box will appear next to it that says "George T. Stagg".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.