What Tequila Are You Enjoying Today?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After a nice hot day in the Sun, a Little Tequila seemed in order. I really enjoy a nice sipping tequila, and there are so many nice offerings available. Today, I went with a Clase Azul Reposado. Wonderfully juicy and very drinkable. Pulled a bottle out at our last Cinco de Mayo party, and even non-liquor drinkers were loving on it. How 'bout you? What Tequila are you enjoying these days?

Last night it was El Padrino Anejo and Senor Almendrado, an almond flavoured Reposado. Not sure tonight, I'll come up with something after supper.

After a nice hot day in the Sun, a Little Tequila seemed in order. I really enjoy a nice sipping tequila, and there are so many nice offerings available. Today, I went with a Clase Azul Reposado. Wonderfully juicy and very drinkable. Pulled a bottle out at our last Cinco de Mayo party, and even non-liquor drinkers were loving on it. How 'bout you? What Tequila are you enjoying these days?

I sure do love that Clase Azul Reposado too. You are quite generous to share it with non-liquor drinking friends, that's for sure!

It is quite the little sweety, our little friend Clase Azul Reposado, but she certainly has her place now and again and that bottle sure is purdy! They do seem to be very fond of the tequila they make though. Of note the distillery (NOM 1416) is the same place they make Avion of "Entourage" fame and Casamigos, peddled by "the Clooney" et al.

I also just read in the K&L Wines Spirits Journal about the new Clase Azul Mezcal (Mezcal of course being the hottest "new" trend amongst the glitterati).

Sounds interesting but for $230????? :shocked: Umm, no thanks.

And completely forgot to mention that the Dulce Vida 100 pf tequila I had last week during the latest Wednesday tasting was surprisingly good and I thought it well worth consideration. Several months back we did a comparison with Chinaco blanco and anejo (I have the reposado as well but didn't include it in that tasting). Chinaco is one of the few blancos that I really enjoy on its own. It is a bit unique in that it is a "northern" tequila from the eastern coast of Mexico along the gulf coast, a region not connected with Jalisco at all.

Would love to try the extra anejo which is called Chinaco Negro but it is in Clase Azul Mezcal territory at around $200 if you can find it!

Edited by tanstaafl2

And completely forgot to mention that the Dulce Vida 100 pf tequila I had last week during the latest Wednesday tasting was surprisingly good and I thought it well worth consideration. Several months back we did a comparison with Chinaco blanco and anejo (I have the reposado as well but didn't include it in that tasting). Chinaco is one of the few blancos that I really enjoy on its own. It is a bit unique in that it is a "northern" tequila from the eastern coast of Mexico along the gulf coast, a region not connected with Jalisco at all.

Would love to try the extra anejo which is called Chinaco Negro but it is in Clase Azul Mezcal territory at around $200 if you can find it!

Just picked up a bottle of Chinaco blanco myself a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. It was in a clearance bin and nearly $20 off so I couldn't pass it up.

Just picked up a bottle of Chinaco blanco myself a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. It was in a clearance bin and nearly $20 off so I couldn't pass it up.

I really enjoy the big agave notes and the fairly strong peppery character of it. Will be curious to know what you think. $20 off is pretty good. Sounds like about 50% off!

Indeed. I would never have paid $40 plus for it but was happy as a clam to find it for $22. There are other blancos that I quite like on their own such as El Tesoro and Fortaleza, among others, so I'm feeling confident that I'll really enjoy the Chinaco as well.

Indeed. I would never have paid $40 plus for it but was happy as a clam to find it for $22. There are other blancos that I quite like on their own such as El Tesoro and Fortaleza, among others, so I'm feeling confident that I'll really enjoy the Chinaco as well.

Yes, those are both solid brands and I have some of the various reposados/anejos. But Chinaco blanco always seemed a bit better although as you note it is a bit pricey, especially as a mixer. So I generally just don't use it that way!

Sipping blanco tequilas is something that I have started trying only in the last year, or so. Totally new experience that I am still getting used to.

Sipping blanco tequilas is something that I have started trying only in the last year, or so. Totally new experience that I am still getting used to.

I have been enjoying my go to Don Julio Anejo lately with this hot weather in the Northwest. A finger or two in a heavy base tumbler? I call that an evening wind down.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying out some samples I had collected this weekend to help make the World Cup final more entertaining since it ended largely before you had time to settle into your seat and I am not much of a soccer fan anyway.

The tequila section of the evening (rum, Scotch and American malt alos made an appearance) included a Casa Noble Extra Anejo, a Don Pilar Extra Anejo (which came highly regarded) and a Riazul anejo. I was pretty biased towards the Don Pilar to start with but for me the Riazul was the clear favorite, at least this evening. I had the Don Pilar second followed by the Casa Noble third. All could use a bit more proof of course but it is what it is.

Riazul had a superb agave nose and a much better balance of agave and age, perhaps because it was an anejo rather than an "extra" anejo. Might have to look for one of those but not sure it is available locally.

Riazul is one of my faves, and I stocked up on it last year when I found a place that had it underpriced. The other component of the Riazul profile is that it's aged in cognac barrels. I always raise an eyebrow these days when something is aged in cognac barrels.

The Casa Noble for me was discernably of high quality but not something I felt I had to pop for again. The Cuervo Reserva De Familia struck me as a waste of money. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing really right with it either.

With Cabo San Lucas being a bourbon desert, it was pretty easy to shift my taste over to tequila. My wife and I did the all-inclusive option at the resort we stayed at and they included a couple of decent reposado tequila's in the list, so we went through all of those at some point. Nothing wild, but some decent ones that I could handle as a sipper if needed. (Which I did a few times, it was needed after all that time dealing with pushy timeshare people!).

We hit the town a couple of times and from recommendations we went to La Hacienda del Tequila. They had a fair amount of damage from the hurricane last fall and weren't really doing any samplings when we were there, so didn't pick anything up as I just didn't know what to pick. Looked like a really nice selection though. We ended up at J&J Habano's Cabo, a cigar and tequila store. Wonderful place - highly recommended. After tasting a few, ended up taking up a bottle of El Gran Jubileo Anejo. Really nice stuff - waiting for my BIL to come to St. Louis in a week before opening it in the states though, but a nice, smoky taste to it that had a smooth, solid finish. Easy to sip and enjoy.

Trying out some samples I had collected this weekend to help make the World Cup final more entertaining since it ended largely before you had time to settle into your seat and I am not much of a soccer fan anyway.

The tequila section of the evening (rum, Scotch and American malt alos made an appearance) included a Casa Noble Extra Anejo, a Don Pilar Extra Anejo (which came highly regarded) and a Riazul anejo. I was pretty biased towards the Don Pilar to start with but for me the Riazul was the clear favorite, at least this evening. I had the Don Pilar second followed by the Casa Noble third. All could use a bit more proof of course but it is what it is.

Riazul had a superb agave nose and a much better balance of agave and age, perhaps because it was an anejo rather than an "extra" anejo. Might have to look for one of those but not sure it is available locally.

Decided to take the plunge and picked up a couple of bottles of Riazul anejo via mail along with a couple of other odds and ends.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21248&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21249&stc=1

An interesting if pricey half bottle of Brandy de Jerez from Navazos Palazzi and a Mauritian rum called Penny Blue for no particular reason other than it caught my eye and rounded out my shipment.

post-8493-14489822608378_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822608603_thumb.jpg

I received an email recently from Hi Time Wine Cellar with an extraordinary sale on Don Abraham blanco and reposado only to discover that they no longer ship to Illinois! Major bummer, as they were a main supplier of hard to find tequilas for me. Will have to make arrangements with relatives in Wisconsin to have future items shipped there.

• 2 weeks later...

couldn't resist a 1.75 liter Clase Azul Reposado--only about double the price of a 750 ml bottle, so actually a bargain

AB44BD0D-A9C6-425F-B2C9-6FFEC4EBA4B9_zpsxqhrdffq.jpg

With Cabo San Lucas being a bourbon desert, it was pretty easy to shift my taste over to tequila. My wife and I did the all-inclusive option at the resort we stayed at and they included a couple of decent reposado tequila's in the list, so we went through all of those at some point. Nothing wild, but some decent ones that I could handle as a sipper if needed. (Which I did a few times, it was needed after all that time dealing with pushy timeshare people!).

We hit the town a couple of times and from recommendations we went to La Hacienda del Tequila. They had a fair amount of damage from the hurricane last fall and weren't really doing any samplings when we were there, so didn't pick anything up as I just didn't know what to pick. Looked like a really nice selection though. We ended up at J&J Habano's Cabo, a cigar and tequila store. Wonderful place - highly recommended. After tasting a few, ended up taking up a bottle of El Gran Jubileo Anejo. Really nice stuff - waiting for my BIL to come to St. Louis in a week before opening it in the states though, but a nice, smoky taste to it that had a smooth, solid finish. Easy to sip and enjoy.

glad to see someone visiting La Hacienda.

sorry to hear they had hurricane damage.

I got a Siete Leguas extra añejo there

d49ed816-0d24-4b62-beac-3f6f14dce0ab_zps21c49a0b.jpg

6ab91b6c433c2832dcde2daaa284843a_zps4fb997be.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.