a few Question about opened bottles

Amhazed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok so tonight I revisited Bakers. This was the 1st time I've touched it since I popped the cork probably a month ago. It's hard to remember. Anywho.. Tonight it seemed much more tasty than i remembered. I actually would probably put it ahead of a couple of bottles that I had previously thought were better. Why is this? Does the bottle being opened affect the contents so much as to change ones opinion about it? Or could it be that I've just tried so many different Bourbons since the original pour. That it has heightened my appreciation of it? The next question is about something the sales clerk told me at the local liquor store. He said when bottle gets half full or worse. I should start putting marbles in the bottle. This has something to do with oxidation? I think that's what he said. It was a week or so ago and he was allowing me to sample a couple bottles at the time. Like the Jefferson Ocean. Really neat story behind that one. Anywho...has anybody else heard of this marble thing?

Never heard or thought of marbles. I have heard that letting air get to some bourbons does open them up. I also know that what I've eatin lately and what's int he air (pollen) may affect taste. BUT, still never heard or thought about marbles.

Never heard or thought of marbles. I have heard that letting air get to some bourbons does open them up. I also know that what I've eatin lately and what's int he air (pollen) may affect taste. BUT, still never heard or thought about marbles.

I searched it in forums. I found a few threads that mentioned "marbles" but none that said whether it was a good idea or bad idea.

A lot of home winemakers use marbles to eliminate head space in carboys for this reason but never heard of it in bourbon or any other Whiskey.

Decanting works for wines and other spirits that oxidize, and there are a few relatively recent threads on SB about putting nitrogen or some similar wine-bottle-filler-upper's so I suppose marbles would work by filling up the bottle to cut down on airspace.

I have a practical concern: How do you keep the marbles in the bottle and out of your glass when you tilt the bottle? I can't keep aspirin in a bottle when I tilt it, and they aren't round. Marbles would be all over the place.

Decanting works for wines and other spirits that oxidize, and there are a few relatively recent threads on SB about putting nitrogen or some similar wine-bottle-filler-upper's so I suppose marbles would work by filling up the bottle to cut down on airspace.

I have a practical concern: How do you keep the marbles in the bottle and out of your glass when you tilt the bottle? I can't keep aspirin in a bottle when I tilt it, and they aren't round. Marbles would be all over the place.

One of the threads I mentioned that I had read earlier here. Mentioned some kind of pouring device that kept the marbled out of your glass.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble for me. The flavor change from oxidation is usually an enjoyable one for me, anyway.

Marbles seem like a lot of trouble what with having to wash them after a bottle empties, etc. If you really are concerned about a particular whiskey degrading due to too much air exposure, pour it into a smaller bottle. And then a smaller one. This is what some here do.

The issue of air time making a bourbon better is not universally agreed upon. I tend to think it helps some. Others believe it's us (our palate) that changes. I agree with that too. I think it is one or the other or both depending on the situation.

The marble idea surfaces ever few years or so it seems. My minimalist approach is simply drink what's left.

The marble idea surfaces ever few years or so it seems. My minimalist approach is simply drink what's left.

I either do this, or don't worry about it. I haven't had one degrade on me yet after sitting for 6 months or so.

That's how I feel. I had a collection of half-empty bottles that I really wasn't reaching for, for one reason or another. So instead of saving them, I simply finished them off before returning to what I preferred.

As for the original question, I've experienced change in higher proof bottles a few times after they've been open a while, and it's usually for the better. I've never kept a bottle around long enough to see one go the other way. Otherwise, our palates can change day to day depending on what you've eaten among other things.

I think it has more to do with your palette at the time. As long as the bottle is tightly sealed with the cork or screw cap it shouldn't affect the remaining juice.

Tonight it seemed much more tasty than i remembered. I actually would probably put it ahead of a couple of bottles that I had previously thought were better.

Is the discussion here about stainless steel bearings as marbles? I cant get the thought of glass marbles out of my head, the idea seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I myself am a small bottle decanter, any special bottles I buy I make sure to decant a 4oz sample and stash it away as a refference sample and time capsule for the future.

Well, the marble idea (displacing some amount of air with an inert substance) is valid, I'm sure.... But, more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

Decanting lower-fill bottles (those with significant air in the bottle), is a good and simple idea. Here's another....

Try some vatting, giving some consideration to mixing 'what with what'. One can make some interesting combinations, and it's fun to experiment.

Exploring the possibilities while eliminating some bottles on your shelf is a win-win.... and if you manage to "hit" on some of 'em... it's a win-win-win!

....Or, as Squire points out... Just Drink 'em Dry!

Well, the marble idea (displacing some amount of air with an inert substance) is valid, I'm sure.... But, more trouble than it's worth IMHO.

Decanting lower-fill bottles (those with significant air in the bottle), is a good and simple idea. Here's another....

Try some vatting, giving some consideration to mixing 'what with what'. One can make some interesting combinations, and it's fun to experiment.

Exploring the possibilities while eliminating some bottles on your shelf is a win-win.... and if you manage to "hit" on some of 'em... it's a win-win-win!

....Or, as Squire points out... Just Drink 'em Dry!

So, there's a name for it?? Vatting? I do this a lot but I haven't done it with more than a glass. My favorite is Blantons and weller antique so far....my bottles are still much to full to just "drink 'em dry". Mostly I was asking about the marble thing for future reference. Since I was told to do it. I figured I'd ask the folks here. I've been shopping around online today looking for bottles that are half of reg sized 750ml bottles

99.9% of time bottles taste different because of your perception. Also what you ate or drank that day can effect your palate. Sure bottles can become oxidized to an extent in the bottle. That same also happens in the barrel. But oxidation in bottle so minor that unless you are going to go years without finishing the bottle, I would never worry about it. Lots will disagree with me; mainly folks who take this way too seriously.

So, there's a name for it?? Vatting? I do this a lot but I haven't done it with more than a glass. My favorite is Blantons and weller antique so far....my bottles are still much to full to just "drink 'em dry". Mostly I was asking about the marble thing for future reference. Since I was told to do it. I figured I'd ask the folks here. I've been shopping around online today looking for bottles that are half of reg sized 750ml bottles

Can get glass bottles in a variety of sizes including 375ml (12.7 oz) from Freund or other bottle websites. You may want to replace the "standard" cap with one that is more likely to be airtight although I think the Freund caps are plastic lined and so pretty air tight. You may have to call to be sure to get he right ones. Some good info here.

375ml bottles

Can get glass bottles in a variety of sizes including 375ml (12.7 oz) from Freund or other bottle websites. You may want to replace the "standard" cap with one that is more likely to be airtight although I think the Freund caps are plastic lined and so pretty air tight. You may have to call to be sure to get he right ones. Some good info here.

375ml bottles

Thank you. I will check this out

I do think that some air time will influence the flavor a bit, but also that our perception changes quite a bit over time (and from day to day).

I had a system where when a bottle was opened for 2+ yrs, and half full or less, I'd decant it . . . just to be safe. This became "work", and I don't bother with it anymore. I have some bottles that have been open since 2011, and I haven't seen any issues. On the other hand, I've had bottles opened for just a couple of months when I noticed the cork wasn't keeping tight (but I just replace the cork with a VacuVin stopper).

For bottle sources, from time to time I pick up 375s or 200s of Evan Williams Black Label, or WT101 (and when I'm done drinking, I keep the bottle!)

Never judge a whisky on the first pour. I would say the third pour is when you get a good idea of what the whisky is about. The spirit settles down and the true character comes out.

By then my character begins to come out as well.

I don't think he meant drinking all three in one sitting:lol:

I'm reminded of the Scotchman who said, "Six double whiskies is reasonable refreshment but after that it turns into mere drinking".

I think most of the changes we perceive in whiskeys we haven't tasted in a while is down to palate development, especially if we're in an exploratory phase, drinking lots of new stuff, learning profiles, etc. Preferences change, and develop.

I lost my marbles years ago.

Edited by The Black Tot

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.