A Convert (to OGD 114)

jsrudd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'd heard OGD 114 was good, but didn't believe it until now.

My mistake was purchasing a bottle of OGD 86 to see if I liked the style, even though almost all my other open bottles were 100 proof and above.

From the first pour, I did not like OGD 86 and so there it sat, languishing on my shelf for years and years, normally pushed to the back and forgotten. Occasionally, I would catch a glimpse of it when digging around for a different bottle, and I would give it another try with the same result.

I tried everything I could to get rid of it - it did some duty as a cooking bourbon or in cocktails that called for a half measure of bourbon - but, yet, the bottle still remained nearly full. I then tried vatting it with other bourbons and while this did improve the OGD 86 to some extent it was at the expense of superior bourbons.

Finally, setting aside my opinion of OGD 86, I decided to give OGD 114 a try. Everyone seems to love it and, really, can that many SB.com users really be wrong? It turns out, as I'm sure most of you know, that OGD 114 is almost a completely different product. The thin mouthfeel and astringency of the 86 is replaced with a muscular spiciness, which even holds up with the addition of ice or in a cocktail. Needless to say, I'll be buying a bottle soon.

All in all, if you're not liked lower proof OGD and, contrary to conventional wisdom, never given 114 a chance, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Every time I have a pour I'm amazed that I can pick up a bottle for $20 without difficulty. I enjoy other lesser expensive bottles as well, but 114 is truly the best value in bourbon for my money. And it's the benchmark for which others are compared.

I really hate to be one of the only voices of dissent hear, but OGD 114 just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to bourbon. I've bought a few bottles at times over the years and FWIW, it just doesn't 'tickle my fancy' so to speak. However, I do recognize it for what it is, and that so many members love it, and I have never had a problem recommending it to others.

Cheers! Joe

I like the profile of the brand generally, yet have read a number of posts from members who were neutral or even negative about lower proof Old Grand Dad but were enthusiastic about OGD 114.

I like the profile of the brand generally, yet have read a number of posts from members who were neutral or even negative about lower proof Old Grand Dad but were enthusiastic about OGD 114.

I had a bottle of the bonded a few years ago and liked it but was not compelled to replace it, but when I later tried the 114 I became an immediate convert. Booker's 25 tasted to me more like a royale 114 than a 10yo Booker's and that is a very good thing IMO.

I know transparency is not the name if the game in spirits, and maybe that's why OGD has been such a sleeper, but it'd be so cool to get the true lowdown on this product. Age range and what separates BH and the different proof iterations, other than their marketing. Anybody ever prod them at the distillery about this?

I fear our red-headed stepchild is heading upmarket though. Seems like the packaging and price are due for a reboot similar to the BIB.

I really hate to be one of the only voices of dissent hear, but OGD 114 just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to bourbon.

I really hate to be one of the only voices of dissent hear, but OGD 114 just isn't my cup of tea when it comes to bourbon

Cheers! Joe

I'll join you as a contrarian on this one. Just never hit me in the same spot as it does so many people here.

Grand Dad is a throwback to an earlier time when Bourbons were more fully flavored generally. Back in the 60s one of my uncles commented, "Grand Dad is stout". It's distinctive and not to everyone's liking though the style shows well in cocktails.

I like OGD 114 and Bonded about equally. While I was never a big fan of the 86 proof, it does seem pretty good when compared to the 80 proof. I think it would be interesting to blend 114 with either 86 or 80 proof in a ratio that brings it to 100 proof and see how that differs from the Bonded bottling.

Woohoo, another convert to the OGD114 club.

However I am always pleased to see numerous posts from members that don't like, God bless them.

We don't want this well liked by the masses and disappearing off the shelves.

to me, it almost smells and tastes like old cardboard boxes... a little bit of water helps to open it up quite nicely tho. However, I don't believe that once I get through this bottle I'd be buying another one.

to me, it almost smells and tastes like old cardboard boxes... a little bit of water helps to open it up quite nicely tho. However, I don't believe that once I get through this bottle I'd be buying another one.

Donut, is that the only bottle of OGD 114 you have ever had? "Old cardboard boxes," sounds like you may have gotten a bad bottle. Possibly a problem with the cork.

Donut, is that the only bottle of OGD 114 you have ever had? "Old cardboard boxes," sounds like you may have gotten a bad bottle. Possibly a problem with the cork.

yup, only bottle of it. but I'd hate to buy another bottle of something that I wasn't too thrilled about to only confirm that I don't really care for it. I already did that with OWA, altho at least with OWA I can vat it with W12 and make something I like.

yup, only bottle of it. but I'd hate to buy another bottle of something that I wasn't too thrilled about to only confirm that I don't really care for it. I already did that with OWA, altho at least with OWA I can vat it with W12 and make something I like.

Understandable.

Maybe try it at a bar, although it could be tough to find.

Or do what you are probably thinking: forget about OGD 114 and continue on with the other multitude of bourbons that you do like. I can't fault you for that. And it leaves more OGD 114 for the rest of us. Right TunnelTiger? :lol:

Understandable.

Maybe try it at a bar, although it could be tough to find.

Or do what you are probably thinking: forget about OGD 114 and continue on with the other multitude of bourbons that you do like. I can't fault you for that. And it leaves more OGD 114 for the rest of us. Right TunnelTiger? :lol:

haha... I meant to say, that I'm such a gracious person that I'm leaving these on the shelf for you guys!

Grand Dad is a throwback to an earlier time when Bourbons were more fully flavored generally. Back in the 60s one of my uncles commented, "Grand Dad is stout". It's distinctive and not to everyone's liking though the style shows well in cocktails.

This is why I like OGD114 so much. It's a fine neat pour, and makes a great Bourbon cocktail. (and at it's price point, you don't mind using it for cocktails)

I would love to try it. Unfortunately, Ohio doesn't get it. I'm a big fan of the BiB. It's pretty much my go to/every day pour. You'd think we could get such a popular, inexpensive bourbon in Ohio, but........... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This thread gives me an idea for a vatting of OGD 114 and BH, or maybe OGD 114 and the Signature Craft High Rye (though that's an expensive ingredient!)

Or he just doesn't like it... "Old cardboard boxes" is similar to my description of "week old flower vase water."

This thread gives me an idea for a vatting of OGD 114 and BH, or maybe OGD 114 and the Signature Craft High Rye (though that's an expensive ingredient!)

I eventually worked through my bottle of OG 86 by vatting it with a dusty bottle of Blanton's Silver. I didn't like either one very much on its own, but together they weren't too bad.

I really like the 114 its the best OGD, but the bonded is aces too. Will drink the lower proofs at times too tho. I have a pre barcode ND 86 proofer that's wonderful. So not all 86 proof should be slated. But then not many here would ever pass up ND juice either!

But then not many here would ever pass up ND juice either!

Yeah, I posted this in the dusty's thread, but I recently bought a bottle of Hill & Hill 80 proof solely because it had an ND barcode. Current production OGD 80 is probably better than this . . .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.