Craft Whiskey Strange

SWC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I certainly don't think an alarm needs to be sounded, and perhaps this is unrelated to my overall question, but it seems that for the first time in my whiskey hobby career, a distillery is selling used barrels of whiskey on craigslist.

http://bozeman.craigslist.org/sop/5099023300.html

My question: are American whiskey producers having trouble selling off their used barrels? Major producers I imagine have long held arrangements and relationships with the Scotch industry, is that where the craft barrels are going? Volume has to be at an all time high. Maybe there isnt even a problem at all and I should go get one of these since it is not so far off. I've always wondered about this. Thoughts?

I don't think there's that big a demand for used 15 gallon barrels on the market. Can't think of anyone other than other craft experimenters who would have any use for them.

Breweries buy them for barrel aging beer. I could see 15 gallons being a good size for that.

I can think of a number of uses in the food industry (kimchi, etc.) as well, but the traditional market for used whisky barrels (Scots, Irish, Canadian) require the larger 53 gallon size.

We sell our 15 gal used barrels for $185 and generally you have to be on our waiting list to get one, so no problem in selling them.

Well there's an answer, higher price and a waiting list. Who buys them Wade?

Well there's an answer, higher price and a waiting list. Who buys them Wade?
Tequila producers and craft breweries is where most of ours go.

Breweries buy them for barrel aging beer. I could see 15 gallons being a good size for that.

Most breweries I've talked to about barrels want to buy full-size casks. Less volume = more barrels = more work + risk of contamination

I will say this, however, the 5-gallon casks are a hit among homebrewers. The vast majority of homebrewers brew in 5 gallon batches, so it's a perfect match for them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.