IW Harper 15 year

CardsJJH24
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actually tasting comments such as "thin" is exactly what I expected to hear about this.

A thin texture is a feature of that profile and with a whisky of this supposed statue one would expect a bit more of everything.

as in "Now 15% more thinner!" ?

:cool:

I've had the NAS in the past and I'm drinking the 15 year now. Found a bottle for a good price at Total Wine and decided to pull the trigger. (What the heck! I've never found a bourbon I didn't enjoy and it's a great bottle!)

As was said above, both are notably "thin." In fact I didn't like the NAS at first but by the end of the bottle I was really enjoying it. It opened up to some light fruity flavors. I was reading some reviews of this 15 year and they were saying the nose was "something, something, and sawdust." I just get the sawdust. Though it's reasonably good sawdust. I'm not all that good at identifying flavors but I'd describe a hint of honeydew and a little saltiness. Finish is pretty short but it has some baking spice and sweetness. The 15y tastes like a good but much younger whiskey. On the bright side, it definitely isn't overoaked.

I snagged a bottle for only $66 so I was willing to try it blind. I was quite impressed. While I do wish it has more proof. It did seem to drink higher then it is. And has some pretty great taste profiles, for me at least.

I'd probably be a customer in the mid-60s. But I'm not lifting a finger to go find it.

Hadn't planned on picking one of these up but stumbled on a bottle for 58.99 in Austin today. That's all it took to put it in the comfort zone, I grabbed it. Now time to finish up a bottle and get to trying it. Sounds like it will be an easy sipper, hopefully.

So I cracked my bottle a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to get on here and post my thoughts. First off, I knew it was 86 proof going in and anyone throwing down the cash for this should be aware of that too. There are plenty of other fine, high priced bourbons/whiskeys in this proof range. So I wasn't expecting a flavor explosion with rich mouthfeel that you get from higher proof/barrel proof. I was hoping this to be an easy sipper neat with a pleasant, complex flavor profile, and on those counts it delivered.

i didn't take detailed tasting notes, but what stood out to me were cherry notes which I found quite enjoyable. Definitely other things going on but not enough to stick out in my memory, which is admittedly poor right now due to the sleep deprivation that comes with a newborn and 3yr old experiencing nightmares every other night. But I digress.

Bottom line, I do not regret this purchase and feel like the $80 price point is fair. But I do plan on using the sweet retro bottle for vatting once I'm done!

If I find it for $60 or less I'm likely a buyer just because I'm infatuated with the bottle. Assuming I can strip the labels off, it will make an excellent decanter for the Rittlepigs and SB blends.

If I find it for $60 or less I'm likely a buyer just because I'm infatuated with the bottle. Assuming I can strip the labels off, it will make an excellent decanter for the Rittlepigs and SB blends.

You really need to quit being so damn logical! I just calculated the cost of a similar decanter (in my head:grin:), and you just blew all my reasons for passing on this out the door!!!

You really need to quit being so damn logical! I just calculated the cost of a similar decanter (in my head:grin:), and you just blew all my reasons for passing on this out the door!!!

Are you saying I'm an enabler?

I could, but I'm not, simply because I'm big enough to admit my weaknesses! Maybe I can regain some strength and keep passing on this...

... but, you're not helping...:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Approachable, medium bodied, competent stuff with nothing to rave about but nothing to criticize either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.