Hancock's President's Reserve

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Howdy Folks!

I know you've been wonderin' what bourbon to use on your steaks and such. Well ponder no more. *THE* bourbon to use is Hancock's President's Reserve. It's rather pricey at forty smackers a bottle, but it does come in its own liquor cabinet. Last Sunday I mixed equal portions of Hancock's with Lea & Perrins' Traditional Steak Sauce with spectacular results. *Believe it* This *is* the real deal. Smooth & delicious. It's everything you've ever wanted in a great great steak marinade. Cook over a real charcoal fire in a kettle grill of course.

My wife Vickie has just brewed up a batch of Burgoo. One wiff tells me that there is a goodly amount of Hancock's President's Reserve contained within. It smells very much like that wonderful stuff served with pride in the Old Talbert Tavern in Bardstown. When cooking with bourbon I highly recommend Hancock's President's Reserve - a single barrel pour from the fine folks at Buffalo Trace. Ask for it by name - Hancock's President's Reserve. You'll be glad you did.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

• 1 month later...

Linn,

This is the first time I have seen someone recommend Hancock's as a marinade. I must give it a try. I know this might sound somewhat sacrilegious to all those Bourbonians out there, but, the new Sazerac Rye (18 year old) makes an unbelievable addition to chili.

Ken

Folks,

Don't waste your pricey single barrels on chili, there's always beer. Try instead some of my beans: Boston Baked Beans & Booker's. Easy on the beans! Linn, prepare to remove pants yet again (abruptly, this ain't no thinking thing) if you mess up on the delicate bean to bourbon ratio. Visualize Roto Rooter with a 126 proof flame-thrower. A real 'gas'tronomic adventure!

Want less bang for your pleasure? Soak some pork chops in Rare Breed. Or try prime rib and Woodford Reserve. Life is Good.

Hey, anybody tried seafood and bourbon? Snapper, salmon, grouper?

Omar

Eat Well. Laugh Often. Sip Bourbon.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

SHRIMPS!!!!

A pile of big ol' Gulf of Mexico shrimps. Big ones. Nothing smaller that 16-20 count. Small shrimp are good, but they just don't have the texture or flavor of big shrimp. Soak 'em in bourbon (anything you like to drink -- no junk).

A Skillet. Big. A Chinese Wok is even better.

Very small amount of Olive Oil (yes it will smoke; don't let it get that hot).

A little Butter (see above about browning)

Sprinkle a little Coarse Ground Garlic Powder (or chop your own. Don't use the fine, powdery stuff)

When water sizzles, drop in the shrimp. Stir immediately to get every critter coated with the oil/butter.

Sprinkle with Just ONE of the following, depending on what part of the country you want your guests to think you're from...

Prudhomme's Cajun Seasoning

Old Bay Seasoning

McCormack Mesquite Seasoning

Salt'n'Pepper

Teriyaki

Don't look away. As soon as they turn pink, they're done. About 30 seconds.

Serve with gusto. Home-made gusto is best, but store-bought will do. Don't use fancy, imported gusto with this dish, though.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Shrimp?

Thanks John, I didn't think shrimp could stand up to whiskey. I'll give it a try. Maybe it will work with big scallops too.

How 'bout fish, fresh or saltwater -- catfish, mullet, snapper, mahi-mahi, wahoo, tuna, mackeral, grouper, bonito, shark, kingfish, any fish. I suspect the stronger tasting fish (like wahoo or kingfish) would hold up better to high alcohol than delicate fish (snapper, mahi). Any fishing pros?

Omar

Eat Well. Laugh Often. Sip Bourbon.

C'mon John, I've still got a hangover from Saturday night's Xmas party, and your bourbon/food pairings are making me ill.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

No, No, I'll take the shrimp, it's the Weller and bologna that got me.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well, I do have to admit that "recipe" was not technically tested on actual human beings :-))

Although when I had the flu recently, a bowl of hot soup, a <u>HAM</u> and mayo sandwich, and a double shot of David Nicholson sure was mighty fine treatment.

=John=

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Omar:

> How 'bout fish, fresh or saltwater

How 'bout 'em, indeed. Catfish is my preference. In a small saucepan, for each decent size filet (8 - 10 oz.) combine one clove minced garlic, 1 tsp. sugar/maple syrup/honey and 2 tbsp. butter (preferably european-style low moisture butter) and cook over medium heat until garlic just starts to carmelize. Add 1/3 cup (more or less to taste) of bourbon of your choice (stand back, too, because unless you used the eurobutter, that sumbitch is going to spatter like you wouldn't believe) and one tbsp. finely chopped pecans and cook uncovered on low until it's thickened somewhat. Cover and set aside. Meanwhile, pan sear or fry the fish as normal until just underdone, then pour the bourbon mixture over the fish and turn frequently until the filets are coated and the sauce is cooked to the pan. Deglaze the pan with bourbon or even some good apple juice if you want, pour over the fish and you're done. It can take one or two tries to master making this, but the effort is worth it.

Stotz

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Shark - now that's good eatin'! Grab a charter boat out of the Chesapeak Bay at Rudee's Inlet at Virgina Beach or a little further south at Nags Head in North Carolina go out into the Gulf Stream and hook one of those big bastards!

Reel 'em in. Drink some Hancock's Presidents Reserve while you fillet him out. Head for shore. Crank up the grill and smoke 'em good. Eat and enjoy. Indulge in a nude beach bunny desert. Tell your wife a fish tale.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John,

This sounds good. Is this going to be your contribution to the tailgate party at the Bourbon Festival next year?

Mike Veach

You guys don't know how good it makes me feel reading about your preference for Hancock's, Weller, etc. It makes a brand manager feel important. Just wanted to add one additional comment about recipes. If you know someone at a distillery, you may be able to get some char after the barrels have been dumped. In addition, the bungs sometime fall into the dump trough and get saturated with bourbon. If these are added to hot coals on the grill and the steaks, chicken, or what ever are then smoked, you will have to fight the neighbors off with a whip and chair. The resulting taste is unlike anything you have ever tasted.

Ken

PS. DO NOT put the char and/or bungs on an open fire. This could prove very unpleasant!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I have done this and Ken is right. The char is an excellent addition to the charcoal in the grill. So Ken, should we put you down for some char at our tailgate party next year at the Bourbon Festival?

Mike Veach

Mike and Ken,

OK Mike, now my feelings are hurt. I gave you a bag of cut-up barrelheads. Did you try those? I've been trying to market that very thing...

I'm also in the process of putting together a Bourbon recipe database. Here's one for starters. I can't take the credit for this one. It's Emeril's:

VANILLA AND BOURBON MARINATED PORK LOIN WITH SOUR CREAM MASHED SWEET

POTATOES AND PECAN GRAVY

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2000

2 vanilla beans, split and scraped

1 teaspoon orange zest

1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup cider vinegar

2 bay leaves

2 cups bourbon

1 pork loin, trimmed and cleaned (about 6 pounds)

In a small saucepan, combine vanilla beans, orange zest, black pepper,

brown sugar, cider vinegar and bay leaves and cook over medium heat

until sugar is melted and flavors have begun to meld, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and add bourbon. Cool marinade completely before

pouring over pork loin in a glass casserole or bowl. Refrigerate for 48

hours, turning every 12 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove pork from marinade and pat dry.

Transfer marinade to a saucepan and reduce volume by 1/3. Reserve to use

in the pecan gravy. Place pork on a rack on a baking sheet and bake for

45 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 155 degrees F. Let rest 5

minutes before slicing. Serve with Pecan Gravy and Sour Cream Mashed

Sweet Potatoes.

For the Pecan Gravy:

1 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup butter

1 cup chopped trinity (equal amounts onion, celery, green pepper, finely

diced

1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

3 tablespoons flour

1 cup pork marinating liquid

1 quart chicken stock

In a saucepan cook pecans in butter until you get a pleasant pecan

aroma. Add trinity and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic, cayenne pepper

and cook for 2 minutes. Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, then add

marinating liquid and chicken stock. Continue to cook until sauce has

thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt

and pepper.

For the Sweet Potatoes:

8 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

1 cup sour cream

1/4 cup bourbon

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup Steen's cane syrup

Salt and white pepper

In a large saucepan, boil sweet potatoes until fork tender, about 15 to

20 minutes. Pour off all of the water and put potatoes through a food

mill or ricer. Using a large plastic spatula, fold in sour cream,

bourbon, brown sugar, and cane syrup. Taste and add salt and white

pepper to taste. Serve immediately or put in a casserole dish and reheat

when ready to serve.

Yield: 12 servings

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Bj

Blowin' smoke in Bardstown

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

My My BJ that does sound good! Are you cooking this for our party next year?

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Brenda,

I am sorry!!! You are right but since you gave me those chips I have not had a chance to use them at a proper cookout. Of course we would be happy to use your barrel chips at our tailgate party, but I feel that there may be enough cooking going on that we might need you and Ken's barrel charcoal to feed our fires.

Mike Veach

Hey Linn,

I'm really looking forward to next year. I'd be more inclined to bring a grill and do some Bourbecue Chicken or some pulled pork w/ Bourbecue sauce. And I will for sure be using chunks of cut-up barrelheads in with the lump charcoal. Sound good?

Bj

I'm glad Brenda J chimed in. She sent me a bag of barrel chunks too. I haven't cooked with them yet, but I have shared them with people who were curious about the smell of a spent bourbon barrel. Don't you have a web site, Brenda, or some other way for readers of this forum to find out more about your fine product? (Hint, hint. Give yourself a plug, girl.)

--Chuck Cowdery

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Indeed it do! We'll need several grills; your barrelhead pieces, barrel char, charcoal, and I think a barrel each of Blanton's and Kentucky Spirit should do nicely. So all you industry folks out there be sure to bring whatever you can!

We're looking forward to meeting you soon Bj.

Linn Spencer

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Linn,

I have already met Brendaj and I can tell you it was a pleasure. I am looking forward to her contributions to our tailgate party. She mentioned smoking a butt and some chicken. I can hardly wait.

Mike Veach

Chuck,

You really are a Sweetie! You're so right about the smell. Got pulled over for speeding with a trunkful. The car smelled like a bar! The officer was a real nice guy...I gave him a couple of bags and we both went on our way. But for a moment, it was *scary*.

I haven't really hyped the barrel pieces because I've sold everything I had cut-up and I haven't decided if this can be profitable. Yes, I do have a website but it's not finished. The recipe page needs to be redone and none of the recipe links are live (on the top of the list of New Years Resolutions). But, if ya'll would like to have a look...I would much appreciate thoughts and feedback:

<a href=http://mail.centralky.com/~brendaj/index.html>http://mail.centralky.com/~brendaj/index.html</a>

A very Merry Christmas to all on this list!

Bj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.