Jump to content

Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Barrel Proof


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

I finally had a couple ounces of this and I'm glad I tried it first.   The richness and proof is there and these are lacking for me in most JD products, but I feel it is way overpriced for what it offers.  The GD 9 year is a far better value IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • smokinjoe

    10

  • flahute

    9

  • TunnelTiger

    8

  • meadeweber

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is the correct acronym for this one JDSiBBPPS?  

Each of the four or so JD SiB BP's I've had presented me with a different profile - NOT like Bookers releases which tend to fall within a consistent profile.  Hence, I have learned to "play" with the

Had a pour from mine the other night and I think it is a fantastic bottle, I have just the one but I enjoy it so much that it won't be the last, well done JD!!

Posted Images

This was the clear Best in Show" at our annual Cumberland Falls Whiskey Afternoon.  Even the bourbon novices commented on how good it was.  What really stood out as compared to the others was the great mouthfeel it had. Very heavy and rich.  And, extremely approachable for a barrel proofer.  Even the novices were surprised by the lack of burn as compared to some other higher, though not actual barrel proof bottles.  

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This was the clear Best in Show" at our annual Cumberland Falls Whiskey Afternoon.  Even the bourbon novices commented on how good it was.  What really stood out as compared to the others was the great mouthfeel it had. Very heavy and rich.  And, extremely approachable for a barrel proofer.  Even the novices were surprised by the lack of burn as compared to some other higher, though not actual barrel proof bottles.  

Normally you'd suck me in with a post like this but I already have two bottles of it so there!!

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC

I also like this a lot after thinking I wouldn't and now have a couple of bottles around. About the only thing I DON'T like is: around here it is about 1.5 to 2 times the price of WTRB and approaches the MSRP on GTS.  Of course, one cannot just walk in and pick up GTS at that price like one can with JDSiBBP.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I also like this a lot after thinking I wouldn't and now have a couple of bottles around. About the only thing I DON'T like is: around here it is about 1.5 to 2 times the price of WTRB and approaches the MSRP on GTS.  Of course, one cannot just walk in and pick up GTS at that price like one can with JDSiBBP.

 

Thus is very similar to my expectations, too.  I'm not, and really never have been a Jack guy.  I haven't disliked it, but it just never got in my wheelhouse.  The Barrel Proof has blown me away with how good it is.  Hits all the good notes for me.   

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

I haven't really liked anything from JD in years. I expected very little and was very pleasantly surprised by this. Big cherry, wood spice and chocolate notes and some mild cola, with no banana at all. This is to JD what Booker's is to JB white label. 

 

For my tastes, I'd put it very slightly above Booker's & MMCS, and on par with WTRB & StaggJr, but slightly below ECBP.

 

But just like Booker's and WTRB, I can walk into most decent liquor store and pick up a bottle of JDBP any time I want it. That's maybe the best part here. HH and BT should take notes. 

 

From a price standpoint, given that I expected $150, I was again pleasantly surprised. The price is generally in line with Booker's, MMCS, StaggJr. Maybe a little more than ECBP. Of course WTRB is priced absurdly low as compared to its contemporaries, so it's tough to use it as a comparison.

 

I think we can clearly say it has the best lookin' bottle of the lot. Here it is next to its trashy little cousin. 

 

 

0204161854a.jpg

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thicker, richer and darker most certainly. But the barrel proof single barrel I'm  familiar with (130.2 proof, Barrel #16-0437, Rick R-12, bottled 1/25/16) is still with loads of the traditional and disagreeable house traits of JD. Banana a plenty, check. Back of the throat burn, check. Hell, even back and side of the tongue burn, check. A cloying disjointed sweet yet bitter finish, check. With water added, these are all more pronounced. Of course single barrels,  just like personal preference differ. I've also had a couple of 94 proof SBs and one Silver Select that were tasty and minimal on the above negatives. So I remain open to continuing experiences with it, just not on my dime ^_^ . 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Revisiting my JDSB Barrel Proof for the first time in a long time. Thought I was going for the RRSiB but my hand just sort of got drawn to the JD bottle as if a tractor beam pulled it in.

Took my first sip at full strength and what the heck? The banana note you all talk about was there. I've never once tasted this in a JD product before. I was a bit nervous, but as I added water it started to fade. At first, I got some of those Dickel vitamin notes combined with a faded banana taste. I realize this makes no sense. The palate can play tricks on you any given day. After adding a few more drops, all of that faded, and the beautiful pour I remember was present and correct. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
IncredulousNosco

I have no doubt anyone tasting banana in their JDSBBP is likely correct. I'm quite sensitive the flavor, and I think O#7 is absolute horrific with banana flavor, but the single barrel that I had didn't even have a hint of banana. I think it's just a matter of some barrels not being quite as good as others. I suppose that's the whole problem with single barrels--either that or the Arnett team aren't very good at selecting for the barrels at this volume. At least not yet. I'll admit it makes me apprehensive about the next time I get the urge to grab one of these gorgeous bottles. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The risk of banana notes is why I can't bring myself to buy a bottle of this.  I had a regular JD last year for the first time in probably 10 years on a flight, and it took me the entire 4 hours in the air to finish one 50mL bottle.  The banana was just overwhelmingly awful.  There are too many other great barrel proof choices that don't carry any banana risk; I'll stick to those.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I got a bottle of this at Total Wine over the weekend for $45 plus tax (normal price of $49.99 less a $5 coupon). I'm afraid of banana flavor but couldn't resist buying one at that price. I will probably open this soon and will add notes here when I do.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Not really a fan of JD, but never got the banana thing either. I was gifted a JDBP, and I get a cherry cola-ish thing out of it.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found this to be very good neat, but I felt that it suffered a lot when adding water. Luckily it sips below its proof.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 11/12/2016 at 0:52 PM, amg said:

I've found this to be very good neat, but I felt that it suffered a lot when adding water. Luckily it sips below its proof.

As I posted above (or on another thread), I like it a lot - JD was what got me into whiskeys after a REALLY bad experience with Canadian Club when I was underage in most states but, unfortunately, not where I was living.  I like this neat or with just a little water (proof above 95 for sure and a little above 100 is better for me).  (And, I'm really not that obsessive - except for whiskeys).

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

This finally arrived in UT and I had my first taste last night.  

 

The first sip immediately took me back to the very first bottle of Jack Single Barrel I had after turning 21.  Single Barrel Barrel Proof is what Jack was meant to be, and probably was 20yrs ago before the proof started dropping.   Single Barrel Barrel Proof is the current Jack on steroids.  I once read a review "if this is the kind of thing you like, this is the kind of thing you'll like" and it applies here.  If you like the "Jack Daniels" profile, you'll like this.  $50 for the Single Barrel Select vs. $55 for the Single Barrel Barrel Proof make purchasing the Barrel Proof a no-brainer.

 

I look forward to spending more time with this one.  I don't always want Jack, but when I do, I know this will scratch the itch for sure.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, miller542 said:

 

I look forward to spending more time with this one.  I don't always want Jack, but when I do, I know this will scratch the itch for sure.

I've enjoyed it more each successive time I've tasted it.  First time I added water to handle it, but it has smoothed out for me to the point where I don't need water -- I just try to keep the sips on the smaller side... : )  

Edited by Steve L
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

Been wanting one of these for quite awhile, the herd sems to be thinning on local store shelves. I looked at several proof points and decided on a 129.3 from 8/8/17. Most seem pretty positive on this release as as JD was a staple of my whiskey drinking life from 17 till about 40 I am happy to support it. I used to buy the single barrels at Costco in LA and that was my drink of choice after graduating from the #7  ( neat, none of that coke nonsense). I kept bourbon at arms length for many years after a JBW tasting in my teens and preferring by a wide margin JD, I assumed JB was what bourbon tasted like and I wanted nothingto do with that. There were however several forrays into WT101, always delicious but in my youth that 101 proof seemed scary regardless of how good it was so JD was a mainstay. Very glad to see it a CS and as a fan of the profile I expect I will enjoy this bottle quite a bit.

Edited by kcgumbohead
Spelling
  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2016 at 10:53 PM, Kpiz said:

I got a bottle of this at Total Wine over the weekend for $45 plus tax (normal price of $49.99 less a $5 coupon). I'm afraid of banana flavor but couldn't resist buying one at that price. I will probably open this soon and will add notes here when I do.

 

That's pretty good, and surprising!  I consider all of JD products overpriced, but how many cask strength whiskey's can you find at $45?  Knob Creek is the only one I can think of.  I may have to break a decades old run, and buy a fifth of JDCS.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 6:50 PM, musekatcher said:

 

That's pretty good, and surprising!  I consider all of JD products overpriced, but how many cask strength whiskey's can you find at $45?  Knob Creek is the only one I can think of.  I may have to break a decades old run, and buy a fifth of JDCS.

That is a phenomenal price point for this.  It is $65 here and often on sale for $60.  At $45 it is an extreme value imo.  I am usually one who purchases Russells Reserve SB and KCSB in that range and would definitely throw JDCS in that mix.   At $45 you should certainly give it a go.  

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Herbalthought

£50 in uk and not a bad drink, 1/2 the bottle disappeared in 3 days :) and the other half is now mixed with a very old Henkes creme de cacao and boy is this nice that extra proof really pulls the mix up. Now looking for other barrel proofs i have the 64.5% and will endeavour to find and try more of these

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting a bit concerned because I haven't been able to replace my bottle yet. I haven't put *that* much effort into hunting one down, and haven't had a chance to drive to TW thanks to non-stop blizzards, but none of my regular stops carry it anymore. I hope this is not next in line to get unicornized. Anybody else having difficulties finding it?

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kane said:

I am getting a bit concerned because I haven't been able to replace my bottle yet. I haven't put *that* much effort into hunting one down, and haven't had a chance to drive to TW thanks to non-stop blizzards, but none of my regular stops carry it anymore. I hope this is not next in line to get unicornized. Anybody else having difficulties finding it?

Not one bit, the newer gold labels with black writing are everywhere. 

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back before my dry March started, I was in bottle kill mode so I wouldn't have a bunch of near empties sitting around for a month. I was working on a JDBPSiB for about a week and I kept getting a mustard flavor on the finish. Pretty strong at times. It was weird. I didn't dislike it, I've just never tasted that before in any whiskey.

Has anyone else ever experienced that?

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, flahute said:

Back before my dry March started, I was in bottle kill mode so I wouldn't have a bunch of near empties sitting around for a month. I was working on a JDBPSiB for about a week and I kept getting a mustard flavor on the finish. Pretty strong at times. It was weird. I didn't dislike it, I've just never tasted that before in any whiskey.

Has anyone else ever experienced that?

Nope it's always been charcoal roasted bananas to me!

  • I like it 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Nope it's always been charcoal roasted bananas to me!

That's where it starts! Then it transitions to mustard.

It's all gone now so I can't revisit when dry March is over but I will be looking for it in my next bottle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.