BOTM 8/15: Elijah Craig 12 year old

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, guess what? I'm early this month. WTF? :skep: :woohoo::bowdown::toast: :cool:

I do have to admit that I can't take the credit though. Golzee sent me a pm suggesting EC 12 for the BOTM, so all the thanks are due to his suggestion.

It's been almost 10 years since EC 12 has been BOTM. Like Golzee stated in his pm to me, it's been the topic of some discussion here on the boards lately, so maybe it's time we visited it again.

Not much at all from me this time around. Sad to say, but I've never bought a bottle before, although I've had tastes from a few. Just not in my wheelhouse for whatever reason. So, I'll skip any more formalities, and just get on with the business at hand. Let's here what y'all have to say about EC 12. :grin:

Cheers, and happy posting!

Joe

Edited by fishnbowljoe

Hey, guess what? I'm early this month . . .

Ah, poop. I'm not ready, yet, for the BOTM. And, EC12 is not on my shopping list. A store near me has two (2) 4R barrel selects, and that's what I was going to get. Wait . . . could there be one EC12 in the trunk? We'll check when I go get the 4Rs. And, if not, maybe . . .

nice, Golzee, did you get to try it yet? I think I saw that you just bought yourself a bottle of it for the first time. it's an exceptional bourbon for a great price. I love that it's a 12 year bourbon that's easily available and it's usually the bourbon I recommend to newbies that are trying out bourbon for the first time.

Ah, poop. I'm not ready, yet, for the BOTM. And, EC12 is not on my shopping list. A store near me has two (2) 4R barrel selects, and that's what I was going to get. Wait . . . could there be one EC12 in the trunk? We'll check when I go get the 4Rs. And, if not, maybe . . .

Believe me when I mention that I really wasn't going to say anything about looking a little closer in your trunk Harry. What can I say? LOL

Like something another member stated once upon a time, "if you aren't having any fun, you're not doing it right." :grin:

Cheers! Joe

A regular, but not on hand… oh shoot, will need to head out on a shopping trip. Hopefully I can stay focused. [emoji4]

Great choice Joe!:bowdown: EC 12 is a very good, well balanced and readily available bourbon at a great price.

There's no dog and pony show here. This is a true small batch whiskey... aged 12 years... made by a major 'big boy' distillery at a great proof point for both entry level and experienced enthusiasts.

Here in Kentucky, I feel that EC 12 is often overlooked. I don't really know why, as it's always on shelves everywhere I go, but I suspect that it may be due to the fact that we often tend to overlook what's always in front of us... while we look for something we can't have and/or haven't seen before.

Nonetheless, I often take it to parties and let others try it blind. This whiskey never disappoints, leaving most to admit that they plan on grabbing a bottle (or two)!:grin:

Well shoot if Paddy didn't take the words out of my mouth. I'm thinking that if we looked at each others bunkers we'd find that we have darn near the same whiskey stashed away.

EC12 is one that I thought I didn't like, and that was based on trying it at a bar and not being impressed. But I really liked the BP version so I figured I'd give it another shot. I don't know what that old version of me was thinking because it blew me away. 12 yrs with a well balanced and rounded out flavor at an amazing price. It went from being off my radar completely to being an immediate top 3 or 4 bourbon for me (not including LE's). I now always have it on hand (and a few spares stashed away in case of emergency.)

Forgot to mention in my first post, this was also the first bourbon that grabbed me from scotch and got me looking around at what we are producing at home. For that I owe EC12 a huge debt of gratitude. Will enjoy grabbing another bottle and trying side by side with my open bottles of Henry McKenna and Evan Williams SB (2002), (and maybe will force me to crack open one of my bunkered ECBP bottles)

I love EC12. I always had an open bottle. But then I somehow built up a nice reserve of ECBP. So now I make a diluted 100 proof ECBP that is closer in proof to EC12 but with the barrel selection the BP. Best of both worlds in my book.

EC12 is great bourbon, and that's not even with consideration for the low price. I always keep it on hand.

Elijah Craig 12 Yr was my first introduction to upper shelf bourbon after I graduated from college and had my first real job and was making real money. It opened my eyes to what a good bourbon was and it still satisfies when I have a glass of it to this day.

I started buying a bottle of EC12 with the old age statement label each time I hit WalMart to do the weekly shopping and was able to accumulate a half dozen bottles before the new label has taken over. Cool thing though.... Once the new label hit the shelves, WalMart LOWERED the price $4 a 750ml!!! So I just keep buying a bottle every other time I do the grocery shopping.

Besides being a fantastic pour on it's own, I've been enjoying it vatted 60/40 with Larceny. Just dang good stuff!!

It's been almost 10 years since EC 12 has been BOTM.
Edited by jinenjo

I really like to have EC 12 regularly. So much smoother than many others with the same or low abv. Very nice all around and still as of yet affordable.

It's always been a favorite of mine. I would call it a "value" pour for the quality to price ratio.

One of my first favorites. It's definitely got a lot of oak, but it's not overwhelming. I think it's got one of the best noses of any whiskey I've tried. Like others have said, this is one the bourbons that got me interested in exploring American whiskey. Although I prefer Henry McKenna 10 year, I always keep a few EC12s on hand.

EC12 was my "gateway" bourbon and one I still love to this day. Great taste, great looking bottle and great price still, though creeping up marginally over the last few years which is to be expected. I just saw it at Sam's Club yesterday for $28 but picked some up in Indiana two weeks ago for $25 which is a terrific deal. There was a time a year or two ago that some here were slagging it for being too "woody" which has never been my experience. But if it is too woody for some people's tastes, it would make a perfect bourbon for vatting.

I find EC12 to be one of the best (& best value, to boot) Bourbons that are readily available.

It's profile is certainly HH, which I like; it's 12 years old (for how long? who knows?); it has a rich, full profile as one would expect at that age, without being too woody (to my taste buddies); it's mouth-feel is sublime; it's bottled at a decent proof; and has a very good finish (all: IMO).

Always on hand and frequently poured.... in fact, I think I'll have some right now!!! HA! :drinking:

When I was a bourbon noob I bought a bottle and just didn't care much for it. Now a couple years later there is always an open bottle on my bar.

This is one of the most flavorful, economical offerings readily available.

I got one of these down stairs I guess I need to open up if there is room on my upstairs shelf.

.... Once the new label hit the shelves, WalMart LOWERED the price $4 a 750ml!!!......

WTF, it went up $3 per here around the time the new label hit. Still a great bottle for $30.

nice, Golzee, did you get to try it yet?

I haven't tried it yet. I think I will crack it open later this week when I have some extra time.

I picked up a new label bottle tonight and just opened y bunkered old label to taste later tonight. I opened it in advance of drinking so I could vat 3oz of it with 3oz of Larceny to try after the EC12 neat tonight.

I picked up a new label bottle tonight and just opened y bunkered old label to taste later tonight. I opened it in advance of drinking so I could vat 3oz of it with 3oz of Larceny to try after the EC12 neat tonight.

I am not very good at tasting notes but I can say yummy. Forgot how good this is. Hopefully the new label bottle I bought is just as good when I get around to opening that some day.

I enjoy EC12. It is consistent and the quality and price are great! However, I find it is a "mood" pour. Occasionally, I find it a little too oaky. Other times, it falls perfectly within my wheelhouse. It is probably on the higher end age-wise for my tastes. For example, I found EC18 too oaky. I have had several really good barrel select versions (all at regular proof). I will continue to be a buyer as long as it is available.

My mood varies but generally my preference of EC12 compared to other HH bourbons is EWSB, EC12, then HMcK. This is relative since all are good and, as stated, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I want something a little lighter, sometimes something a little woodier and sometime something a little spicier. So many options and all are good!

Always have an open bottle on hand and at least one in the bunker. Flavorful, available, affordable.

EC12 is one of those "always on hand" bottles for me as well. Hard not to like, good for the novice and the experienced bourbon drinker.

Plus, at the price point, you don't cringe when someone wants to add Coke.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.