New High West Distillery

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On a trip to SLC in part to visit David Perkins and his beautiful new distillery near Park City, Utah. They are still putting the finishing touches on it but David was kind enough to take time from his busy schedule to give us a personal tour of his new facility and introduce us to the new "Sexy Beast"! He hopes to eventually have four of them (or as he described it really 8 with each one consisting of a pot still and a column still).

It was also especially nice of him to spend some time with us in the lab tasting through some of the latest projects. I of course could not help but bring a few things of my own along to share as well to include the recent WT Russell's Reserve GBS barrel pick which I think I can safely say David really enjoyed!

I must say that in addition to being a beautiful facility and setting he has one of the best views I have seen! Unfortunately I forget to get a picture of the view across the valley to the Uinta Mountains in the distance but trust me it is beautiful!

attachment.php?attachmentid=21303&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21304&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21306&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21307&stc=1

David was then kind enough to make us a reservation at his saloon in Park City for dinner. A thoroughly delightful evening.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21305&stc=1

After spending the previous day traipsing around Arches and Canyonlands National Park it was a lovely way to recover!

post-8493-14489822628798_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822629344_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822629881_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822630408_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822630937_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is a really nice, shiny, new operation for David. (Is that first pic a 'try box'? ...Never saw one like that.) GREAT pix! Thanx for posting those, Bruce. Nice shot of you posing in the hiking attire in front of that arch, and the pretty view beyond. Loox like a great time all around.

Wow! That is a really nice, shiny, new operation for David. (Is that first pic a 'try box'? ...Never saw one like that.) GREAT pix! Thanx for posting those, Bruce. Nice shot of you posing in the hiking attire in front of that arch, and the pretty view beyond. Loox like a great time all around.

Yes, it is quite an impressive box. Can't remember if it is because it will be capable of being hooked into a second still when installed or because the pot still and the column still can be operated independently.

Not the best view of the arch but a picture I had handy at the time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21309&stc=1

A more classic view in the early morning sun.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21310&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=21311&stc=1

A couple of different perspectives including one from behind which is a little dicey is it is pretty steep and a long way to the bottom!

post-8493-14489822631969_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822632489_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822632984_thumb.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

Nice report and excellent pictures. Wondered what I'd have tonight. Thanks - going to open my Campfire which has been sitting on an upper shelf about two years.

I agree with Squire. Thank you for sharing! What a great looking distillery and beautiful scenery! I do enjoy High West products and usually purchase one or two a year.

Excellent report! They have a very attractive facility. I like the mountain style of architecture for a distillery as a nice change up from the rural/industrial (which I also like quite a bit.)

Excellent report! They have a very attractive facility. I like the mountain style of architecture for a distillery as a nice change up from the rural/industrial (which I also like quite a bit.)

The distillery is situated on the property of a high end guest ranch near Park City so appearance is important I suppose but it is indeed beautiful and meshes well with the area. They will also be looking to do some moderate size event activities using the facility (meetings, wedding reception perhaps). There will be a small one story warehouse/rickhouse that can age about 1000 barrels (I believe) that looks a bit more industrial looking but it is located on the back side where it doesn't detract from the view and is not readily visible.

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 6 months later...

THIS is the thread I was thinking about while talking with David Perkins last night at WhiskyFest Washington DC.

HW's booth was kind enough to give me a taste of Yippee Ki-Yay even though the VIP session had ended.  Mr. Perkins said the YKY goes national in May.

Both things deserved special mention.  Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Going to resurrect an old thread...  Heading to Park City for a ski trip and already booked a tour of the Wanship HW Distillery.  Any pointers on stuff to see, any "off the tour" stuff to ask about, people to seek out? 

I'm pretty familiar with their normal lineup, but do they commonly have barrel select bottles available?  Anything special I should watch for?

Thanks-

Craig

There are occasionally a few bottles for sale at the gift shop that can't be found elsewhere. Unfortunately now that David Perkins has moved on I don't know as much about what is happening as I once did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.