Woodford Double Double Oaked

Lepisto
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know WR doesn't get a lot of love here, and neither does the Double Oaked, but I got a bottle of it a while back for my birthday and really enjoy it. I don't know if it is $50 good, but I do enjoy the vanilla notes in it. Anyway, I saw that Woodford came out with a double double oaked, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. The website said it would only be released at the gift shop and select retailers, but I have a feeling that might be a marketing ploy to induce panic and excitement when finding it on a shelf. Anyway, the website also gave tasting notes saying that it is spicier than the double oak version. I've seen it at a couple of stores around me, and realized that it is about $50 for a 350ml. Figured I would see what others think before committing. Maybe someone will get it for me for my birthday!

I had it last night, and went ahead and bought another bottle at the distillery today. I am not a fan of double oaked at all, but do enjoy the double double oaked. It isn't a "dessert" bourbon at all. Lots of spice notes and not sweet. Completely different than Double Oaked.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the double double oaked, as I've not had it. But, I'll say that the Double Oaked really shines in cocktails. Ok neat, but I recently found it's calling when part of boulevardiers! :D. I look forward to trying the DDO, to see what it does. Woodford keeps experimenting with wood influences. The "why" is the big question...my own opinion is that the straight pot still whiskey they pull just can't stand on its own, unfortunately. They either have to mix it with Forester whiskey to make a good offering (I'll drink regular WF all day long, BTW.), or try and use various barrel influences to get something the market will accept.

My BIL picked up a bottle while we were visiting WR. He was kind enough to give me a couple of sips.

I am still kicking myself for not buying some. It was hands down one of the best I've ever had!

If they would sell it in a 750ml for $60, I'd gladly pay-up!

I'm a Woodford fan and enjoy the Double Oaked quite a bit. The Double Double Oaked is something I'd definitely pop for at the right price.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.