"Get Stupid" bourbons and/or other whiskeys

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw this post from RiverRat in the "What Bourbon Are You Drinking" thread, and it gave me a knowing smile.

Weller 12 with a couple of friends this afternoon. Light and airy, but a bit dry and woody on the tail end. Nice as a change of pace from all the cask strength stuff I've been drinking and this seemed dangerous in a different way - the kind of easy whiskey that might lead me to repeat-pour once or twice too often.

I've had a few bourbons that fall into this category. I coined the phrase regarding these as "get stupid" bourbons. Sometimes you have a pour of something, and it just really hits the spot. You go back and have another pour. Then another. Rinse, wash, and repeat. Y'all know what I mean. :rolleyes: It may be something high proof that just doesn't seem like it, or it could be something that's a regular in you rotation. It could be a "special" bottling too. It really doesn't matter. Sometimes ya' start off with a pour of something, and it just tastes so darned good, and the fact that it's an alcoholic beverage just somehow doesn't seem to equate. Then before you know it……..:crazy:

I remember the first time I noticed this phenomenon. (FWIW, I usually have a few cubes of ice in my pours.) Of course, I was on my computer. I went to the fridge, grabbed some ice, and had a pour. A while later, I went back to grab some more ice. My wife asked, "Is everything all right? That's the fourth time time you've gone to the fridge for ice." :skep: I had no clue at all. What can I say? Like I said before, I'm pretty sure at least some of y'all know what I mean.

So, I'll start the ball rolling. I have more than one get stupid bourbon, but the one that is tops on my list is the 2007 BTAC WLW. I absolutely love it, and it just doesn't drink like it's 117.9 proof. Wheater whore that I am, what can I say? :lol: Thank goodness I was smart enough to stock up and grab a bunch of these whenever, wherever and by whatever means I could. It's also why I don't open a bottle very often. Damn! Now I just might have to open a bottle pretty soon. :banghead:

So, what are your get stupid pours? I may chime in with more of mine at a later date. Being forewarned, is being forearmed. :slappin:

Cheers! Joe

All of them:) I tend to find some easy drinking ones like Old Ezra 101 or Virgin 101 or John J Bowman or.... you name it tend to be like that

ETL and ECBP usually fit that bill. Or any bottle that has a few pours left and for some reason I am hell-bent on finishing it.

Just about any 4R private selection barrel proofer I've ever cracked! :rolleyes:

Just...can't...put...it...down...

ETL for Sure. Booker's 25th, once I open it, I want to keep pouring, but i know I can never replace it once it's gone.

The 129 proof EHTBP, and the 10 YO SAOS SB. I've got a feeling the W12 I opened tonight won't last long either.

I also think I could sip Balcones Texas Rum all night.

EWbib. I keep bottles everywhere on my property. Work outside a lot. Had to get off the tractor or put down the chainsaw many times. Just laid in the grass or snow until it wears off. But I have sweet dreams. If only Kate Beckinsale and Hale Berry knew.........

For me it is the fighting cock with a splash of coke zero. I have had five before I know it. If drinking straight it is ECBP, stagg Jr batch 3, or 1792 sweet wheat. I went hard on the sweet wheat the other night. The following work day was unpleasant.

The ECBP 6th release is like that for me. Doesn't drink like it is that high proof at all. It will definitely sneak up on ya!:shocked:

Toss up between Larceny and Buffalo Trace. I'm pretty aware of the price / replacebility of what I'm drinking so anything pricey or hard to replace doesn't get hit too hard unless I'm in good company. But those two? Yes sir! Just keep pouring!

I haven't tried any of the EWSB newer than 2003, but every time I've opened one it's gone quick!

4RSB, OGD114 and the sweet salted caramel of KCSB. Once open, these get depleted the fastest and are among the few that I will go back to for repeated pours in the same evening rather than mixing it up. When I find a particularly good 4RSB - one that delivers sweet cream - it can be lights out.

SAOS BP Rye, can drink it all night and I damn near wept when it was discontinued

OWA, annoying how tough it is to find these days, miss my daily drinker

EWBiB, the old standby, goes down easy and keeps you coming back. If I start with an Old Fashioned I'll end up having way too many of these.

Neat, it is OGD bonded or VOB bonded. Since OGD is easier to find around WashDC than VOB, OGD is what I keep in the waste basket by my chair - unless I've made a VOB hit lately. EWB and ANY soda (but particularly those Euro-style, semi-fizzy sodas like Sicilian Lemon or Blood Orange sold by Wegman's) is just too easy to suck down. And then. of course, there is that Great Corruptor, who shall go un-named, who talked about how good JB bonded was in cocktails who caused me to try it and like it.

A refrigerated bottle of HHBIB in the summer time hits the spot just right. A bottle disappears in no time

For me, it's a purely situational thing.

The other day, I had to apologize to a friend for doing something really thoughtless to him. I brought over a peace offering of PVW 15. We popped it open and drank half the bottle between us, getting completely stupid in the process. I've gotten stupid on many pours. The key is that is just had to be well-made stuff. I have found that if you get stupid on Dickel, for example, you're in for one hell of a headache the next morning.

Lately its been Larceny with a sploosh of water.

Oh and I can get stupid on Kentucky Mules too, or so my wife says.

Now it's RHF, 4RSB, and ORVW10. Those will go down like water if I'm not careful. My first memories of the phenomenon are the old 12 yr French Oak Glenlivet and the 2004 GTS. Both of those damn near disappeared after the bottle was opened. Coincidentally the same friend was with me for both bottles.

Woodford with a splash of coke on long drinking days when I'm trying to "take it easy" or "pace myself"... I find it's soo damn tasty I drink it like a non-alcoholic beverage and then... boom.

As far as straight bourbons.... Noah's Mill has that mix of flavor and proof that gets me in trouble. I could drink that stuff over one big rock all day. Runner up to OWA, I think.

Sometimes I swear my OGD114 and 4RSB bottles have a leak in the bottom and evaporate a lot every time have a pour.

I've noticed that sometimes a bottle of OF Sig just doesn't seem to last too long. That nice mouth feel and cherry cola aftertaste keep me coming back for another pour. A big surprize is JTS Brown BIB. It sure doesn't drink like 100 proof. It's easier than a lot of low proof pours. I really ration the expensive or hard to replace stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.