So, I tangled up my pvw stash

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had some 100% SW pvw 20s and a few non 100% SW pvw 20s. I think I already know the answer, but is there a way I can figure out the year on any of these to untangle them again? UPC, etc?

It is sort of silly as I am sure both are equally excellent, but I liked having them separated and wanted to ultimately do a direct comparison to see if I could discern a difference between SW and non SW.

I haven't been doing as much whisky drinking (or been on this forum as much as I used to) in the last few years, doing more wine and craft beer, but I still love my whisky and bourbon being my whisky of choice.

Hope all is well here.

Vange

The reason I have as many SW pvw 20s is partly due to a forum post Chuck Cowdery (from this site) and so many other bourbon places posted here. (Thanks again Chuck!) I found pvw 20 to be my #1 bourbon in 2006. HE said at that time here, (paraphrasing now and going on memory) if you find something you love, you should buy enough to have as you never know what will happen. So, I did. I never expected this pvw craze tbh. It is pretty insane. I no longer hunt for it. I drink all the other great bourbons I have or are out there on the shelves now. The price and pain you have to pay is just hard to justify even being my favorite bourbon from back in 2006.

I found the thread!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?9581-What-Should-You-Start-Hoarding-Now&highlight=hoard

I see a similar hysteria with craft beer now too. I love the new availability of all this good craft beer (esp IPAs) on the East Coast, but the demand and hysteria is crazy!

Anyway, I am hijacking my own thread now...

wow, you guys started hoarding that long ago! quite the interesting thread, thanks for bringing that back up. oh, and sorry I can't help ya with your original problem tho... but good luck with it!

Hidden

wow, you guys started hoarding that long ago! quite the interesting thread, thanks for bringing that back up. oh, and sorry I can't help ya with your original problem tho... but good luck with it!

There is a Dot Matrix that can be useful for dating bottles:

Date CodesDating Van Winkle bottles post-2007 is made relatively easy based on “laser codes” or “dot matrix codes” printed onto the bottles. These codes indicate the bottling line, date, and time the bottle was filled, but can sometimes be difficult to find and/or read. The date codes are usually printed on the back of the bottle below the label, though occasionally they’re above the label or under the label itself. A bright flashlight shining though the bottle from the other side will often aid in finding the code.

There are two versions of the date code layout, each with its own decoding schema:

Pre-2012: K2250910:22

In this example, the K = the bottling line, 225 = the 225th day of the year, 09 = the year bottled, 10:22 = the time bottled in military time.

2012 and on: B1312011:11K

Here, the B = Buffalo Trace, 13 = 2013, 120 = the 120th day of the year, 11:11 = the time bottled in military time, K = the bottling line.

Prior to 2007 Buffalo Trace wasn’t using Date codes, so it’s a little tougher. You can see the timeline for more clues.

For more info, check out:

http://whiskeyid.com/van-winkle-timeline/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.