A few questions from a newbie

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, you're in a liquor store and you see all these bourbons you have yet tried. On Long Island, there really are no good bourbon bars that I am aware of, so bars for tasting new bourbons really isn't a option.

How do you decide on which to try?

I often ask member's here what they think. I also have a few books that I have read. What do you go by? Age? Price? Distillery? Mashbill? Label? Book review?

Also, if the book review and members opinion differ, how do you make sense of it. I just read a book where Old Grand Dad 4 was rated as not recommend, yet members here seem to really enjoy it.

I can tell you, from my point of view I will rarely spend more that $60 unless I taste it first.

I can tell you, from my point of view I will rarely spend more that $60 unless I taste it first.

You might take a tour of the Bourbons of the Month to get SBers' reactions to a wide swath of the market. Or you could just buy any straight bourbon in the $20-30 range. It is virtually impossible to find anything bad in that range, just some you will find more appealing than others. Besides, you may find that your palate is not yet ready to appreciate the nuances or the power of some of the $60+ bottles. Be patient and watch your tastes evolve.

Buy miniatures if they're available to you. That way you can taste different bourbons without buying whole bottles. There are some threads on this forum dealing with newbie suggestions. Seek and ye shall find.

OK, you're in a liquor store and you see all these bourbons you have yet tried. . . . .

First let's separate wheat from chaff and that's where members here can help. Just because the label is different doesn't mean you haven't tried it. There are many brands on the market that contain whisky from the same bulk source (MGP or Heaven Hill) which does not disqualify them as being good, rather says they are much the same and one may not be different enough from the others to notice. If you have a question about a specific label ask away, someone here will know something.

As a general rule I don't buy anything from an unknown source, all I ask is that the brand producer have made it or be open about from whom they bought it. Also writers, reviews and bloggers, while sometimes interesting to read, are not a reliable indicator of what you might like. That's their take on it and some have a better palate than others, but they like us are limited by individual taste preferences.

I prefer Rye recipe Bourbon and others like wheat in the mashbill. Get that sorted out first and you will be well on the path. Again, read the reviews and opinions posted here in the review and BOTM forums. The fact we're not paid for our reviews make them more valuable than some who are, and who may also be shy about biting the hand that feeds them.

Try a few sub-$30 bottles, of different variety, like a wheated (Larceny, Weller, etc.) and one with higher Rye (like OGD). Try some lower proof vs higher proof bottles. Maybe try some Beam, Wild Turkey, 4 Roses.

And remember your tastes will likely change. Also, realize that a bourbon that is loved by the most experienced guy on this board just may not be your thing. It doesn't make either one of you wrong. Drink what you like, but be open to try new things.

Buy miniatures if they're available to you. That way you can taste different bourbons without buying whole bottles. There are some threads on this forum dealing with newbie suggestions. Seek and ye shall find.

This. I'd pick up damn near anything you haven't tried before - and even things you may have tried before but don't recall. Besides the standard bearers of many places (Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams black, Jim Beam white, Wild Turkey 101), you can find some labels that are pricier (like Bookers).

I suggest starting with the standards. They provide a basis for comparison both in brand styles and prices. Gary suggests many of these above. Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Black, Wild Turkey 101, Maker's Mark. How do you identify the standards? Look at your local restaurant bar or online.

I can also add to look at the Whiskey Tree thread. One recipe from one distillery can become many different labels only due to different ages, proof (amount of water added before bottling) and barrel selection. You can limit your search by skipping most of the 80 proof whiskies in my opinion.

I'd try all of them with the exception of those that aren't honest as to where it comes from.

At least that's the fun way of doing it.

Once you determine what you like (and that may change over time) you be able to pick up on recommendations from others with similar tastes.

Hello guys! I can see I was not clear in my question. Squire hit it on the head. I wasn't looking for recommendations, more of a thought pattern. Lets use a situation my friend had. He had $30 and wanted a bottle of bourbon.

Four bottles met the price guidelines: Evans Williams 2005 Single Barrel, 4 Roses, Henry McKenna BIB, and 1792. I wasn't asking which you would buy, but the thought process for the you would buy.

For years I gave a dear friend a bottle of good Bourbon as a combined Christmas/Birthday present (he was born in January) and invariably when football season arrived we would be over at their house for game parties and the gift Bourbon from months earlier was still untapped. So when gift time came around again I picked up a bottle of 15 year old Ezra Brooks Single Barrel but called his wife first. She suggested something "lighter" so I gave him a bottle of 15 year old Canadian Club Limited Edition instead. That bottle was emptied long before football season started in September.

So now I ask the wife.

Ah! A pattern is what you were looking for.

If suggest starting at one end of the end and work towards the other, or vice versa, top to bottom works well too!

But seriously, just start. There is no right and no wrong. Just do. And enjoy.

B

Hello guys! I can see I was not clear in my question. Squire hit it on the head. I wasn't looking for recommendations, more of a thought pattern. Lets use a situation my friend had. He had $30 and wanted a bottle of bourbon.

Four bottles met the price guidelines: Evans Williams 2005 Single Barrel, 4 Roses, Henry McKenna BIB, and 1792. I wasn't asking which you would buy, but the thought process for the you would buy.

Standing in an isle and scanning a wall of bourbon bottles is really a tough place to try to make a decision unless you have a good foundation of previous information. I've done it and been happy with my purchase and I've also regretted my purchases at times. The best advice I can give is educate yourself as much as possible before you go spend that $20-$30-$40-etc.

Everyone has their own tastes and so it's best to figure out what YOU like and then build your plan around that. What is liquid gold to some will be described as swill by someone else, so value what others say as info but not as doctrine. Even the highest of bourbon gurus are really only authorities at their own bar/bunker.

Develop a plan for how you want to approach being a bourbon enthusiast. Maybe it's a list of bourbons you have read about that sound interesting to you, or maybe it's to try everything from a specific distillery or mash bill, or maybe it's just "Hey, I like high rye bourbons so I'm gonna buy a bunch of those!" Whatever you decide on for your plan, then let that guide you and help narrow your choices. But don't let it limit you because after all... This is all about enjoying bourbon and there is a whole bunch of good bourbon out there to enjoy!!

Not trying to be a smart ass, but how about this as a thought process....hmmmm ..I haven't tried this one before.

In order to become a scientist ..one must experiment first. :cool:

Damn straight standing in that isle and trying to decipher it is a daunting task for a newbie.

Heres what my process was/is:

Find a resource, SB for example, whittle down that isle by getting a handle on who makes these bourbons ( bourbon tree), surprise!! there arent as many distilleries as there are labels, in fact there are only a few.

I then took to the bourbon trail to see and taste what and why were the house styles of the distilleries (I focus on distilleries not NDPs so that cuts out a big chunk of that aisle already).

I did the trail because its a short drive away, if thats not practical, chart who makes what, see the whiskey tree for quick answers and a list will materialize in short order.

Airplane sizes are your friend as many have stated and a perfect stand-in for trail tastings ( in some cases far superior). Make notes of likes/dislikes and in a short while that mammoth aisle will shrink to a VERY manageable size.

From here a newbie can slow down and enjoy the ride, explore the tree by your notes, distillery, mashbill, proofs any combo YOU think would be fun and interesting.

Thats what I did and the foundation of what I continue to do.

Cheers and Slainte!!

I know you are looking for some sort of algorithm or logical approach, and I agree with others that it may not lend itself very well to bourbon selection. However, you can approach it in a methodical way.

0) Learn the definitions. Bourbon, Kentucky bourbon, straight bourbon, bottled in bond, wheated, high rye... be aware of the differences.

1) Age - lots of bourbons have an explicit age statement on the label. Others do not. There is an appreciation among most here for an explicit age statement. Not that everything lacking a statement is crap, far from it. But be aware that some bottlers will attempt to pass off some truly raw stuff without an age statement. When you are age-savvy you can better distinguish who hides crap behind No Age Statements and who doesn't.

2) Distilleries - use the whiskey family tree to get a feel for who makes what. This will allow you to more easily chase down flavor profiles you like. It will also help you identify a brand's lower shelf, mid shelf, and premium expressions, and will help you avoid duplication.

3) NDPs - once you know who makes what, you are better armed to identify those non distillers who simply buy, bottle, and brand. Again not all of this is crap but there's not much point paying a premium for the same juice in a fancy bottle.

Even after all this, you will just have to go buy a few and try them. Research tasting notes, but I find those only a rough guideline for the most part.

I think it also helps to experiment a bit with HOW you drink that bourbon once you've actually decided to buy a bottle or bottles. Try it neat, with a bit of water, with an ice cube, with an ice ball. Obviously one can try it with mixers or in a cocktail of some sort, but to get to the true expression of the spirit, I think one has to go as unadulterated as possible. For a lot of people, there's a progression to drinking it neat (or with just a drop or two of water to open it up). And even the experienced guys may tend to cut the high proofers just a bit.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but how about this as a thought process....hmmmm ..I haven't tried this one before.

In order to become a scientist ..one must experiment first. :cool:

That is my thought process right there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.