Hochstadter's "Vatted Straight Rye Whiskey"

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

30 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Thanks for the response. Must just be me then!

What I find strange is that many have commented that HVSRW has a dominant MGP flavor profile, and this is something that is generally easy for me to identify and something I tend to enjoy as well, but that wasn't what I got from it. Perhaps if I see it in a bar I will give it another try.

I also enjoy the MGP flavor, and...to some extent, I enjoy all the whiskies you listed above (with the exception of Tempelton, which I will not be trying in exchange for my dollars). And I very much prefer HVSRW over those, particularly Rittenhouse of late. Now that has tasted very young and banana pudding-like to me the last few times I've had it, including just a couple of months ago. The only MGP variant I woudl select over HVSRW is SAOS, which of course is very rare these days. 

But I find HVSRW to be far more toward the ADL flavor profile direction than the MGP direction. Which is to say that I agree with you that it does not have a heavy MGP profile. I actually think that's very much the point of HWDR, HWRR and HVSRW, as well as the finished MGP ryes, like AE Rye, MWMwND, and WPOW, to get away from the MGP profile because some folks find it objectionable. 

4 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I also enjoy the MGP flavor, and...to some extent, I enjoy all the whiskies you listed above (with the exception of Tempelton, which I will not be trying in exchange for my dollars). And I very much prefer HVSRW over those, particularly Rittenhouse of late. Now that has tasted very young and banana pudding-like to me the last few times I've had it, including just a couple of months ago. The only MGP variant I woudl select over HVSRW is SAOS, which of course is very rare these days. 

But I find HVSRW to be far more toward the ADL flavor profile direction than the MGP direction. Which is to say that I agree with you that it does not have a heavy MGP profile. I actually think that's very much the point of HWDR, HWRR and HVSRW, as well as the finished MGP ryes, like AE Rye, MWMwND, and WPOW, to get away from the MGP profile because some folks find it objectionable. 

I would have to agree. I don't find the MGP component, however much it is, to be particularly dominant. It seems to have its own profile that separates itself from any of the components. Well, other than the Jacquin component as I have no idea what that tastes like!

It's a solid rye but it didn't blow my mind. Some off-putting sour notes in there that I didn't care for. HW Rendezvous blows it away IMHO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.