Cocktail Book Burning in New Hampshire!!

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Love this story below. :lol:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/03/bartending-book-with-drink-names-like-stripper-mom-pulled-by-n-h-liquor-commission/

Intrigued and figuring that this was just some sort of modern cocktail book problem where all modesty and decorum has been tossed out of the window in favor of the lewdness that permeates our society today, I went to my handy copy of the tried and true, if staid, Mr. Boston Official Bartender's Guide which was first printed in 1935 to see how it stacked up:

Before I start, if you're offended by drinks like the "Panty Dropper" maybe we should not use the word COCKTAIL to begin with...:D

Hence, I found the Mr. Bostons' book to be LOADED with offensive cockta...er...drink mixes...

"Bosom Caresser" Hmmm

"Froth Blower" Hey I appreciate your enthusiasm honey for my once-a-year treat, but you're scaring me a bit..

"Screwdriver" Watch your language, young man.

"Creamy Screwdriver" That's it! Do you eat with that mouth?

"Trinity" Offensive to Athiests. Get God out of our classrooms and our likkra books!

"Black Magic" Offensive to Christians. Godless Heathens!!!

"Indian Summer" Offensive to Native Americans

"Rob Roy" Offensive to the anti-gay crowd. Though, cherished by the LGBT community especially with an accent on the cocktail...;)

"Robert E. Lee Cooler" Offensive to African Americans

"Gin Swizzle" Offensive to Snoop Dog cuz he's not getting his royalties

"Sloppy Joe's Cocktail" Offensive to me. Have you been talking to my wife?

"Smashes" Offensive to prohibitionists. Obviously promoting excess drinking

"Pink Pussy Cat" Substitute Vagina here, and Mr. Boston would be OK in New Hampshire.

I guess I better get a fire going!

:lol:

This sort of thing pisses me off. I am sure New Hampshire has better things to worry about/should be worrying about. Lewdness and drinking go hand in hand, peoples inhibitions drop and so do panties when people drink. Also, I am sure that the bartenders/employees that were offended by cocktail names hear far worse things said by patrons on a semi-regular basis. This whole political correctness thing is getting out of control. Change yourself, not others. Thats my two cents.

Amen!

We are politically correcting ourselves into a society of wusses! My take... Grow a little thicker skin and quit bitchin'!

A couple of thoughts --

Some of New Hampshire's state liquor stores are located conveniently in plazas along the interstates (which sure doesn't encourage drinking and driving, does it), but nobody seems bothered by that - least of all me when I've traveled there.

The Bartender's Black Book 8th Edition (the most recent edition on my shelf) contains a lot of those. But then, so does the classic Savoy Cocktail Book (1930 ed. republished in 2013). How come it's only now that we all getting upset? And, who is "we", anyway?

Because you have to be at least 18/21 (depending) to drink alcoholic beverages legally/licitly, and because minors shouldn't be book shopping in state liquor stores, anyway, and because consumers of alcoholic beverages, by that act alone, show they can tolerate risk and controversy, why NOT sell the book? Live Free or Die, remember.

Heck, every time I drink a Corpse Reviver #2, I think of pooping zombies.

What should be offensive is: I have a 1974 Playboy cocktail recipe book, too. The typical cocktail today has two to three or more times the alcohol of the typical cocktail in the Playboy book. THAT's something to get excited about.

:pope:

Joe, I recently inherited a 1935 copy of Mr. Boston (mine is entitled the Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide) and I am having intense trouble finding the "Bosom Caresser"--what category is that one under?

B3, in mine (1988 edition) it's under the Brandy area. It lists the following:

1oz. Brandy

1oz. Madiera

1/2oz. Triple Sec

Stir with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Dang, sounds almost better than the real thing!!! :lol:

I've never had a cocktail with a provocative name that was any good. I think they try make up for terrible recipes by coming up with stupid names. If that book's full of shitty cocktails, then burn away, I say.

B3, in mine (1988 edition) it's under the Brandy area. It lists the following:

1oz. Brandy

1oz. Madiera

1/2oz. Triple Sec

Stir with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

Dang, sounds almost better than the real thing!!! :lol:

Thank you, Sir. Unfortunately not in my edition, but you will be glad to know the Sloppy Joe's Cocktail is present and accounted for.

Interestingly, if the government of NH is looking for a chaste book of cocktail recipes, they should check out Somersize Cocktails. Although its subtitle promises "sexy libations" the recipes themselves were apparently named by a noncreative hack with serious puritanical tendencies. (The most risque is apparently the "Candy Cane Hot Cocoa").

Before I start, if you're offended by drinks like the "Panty Dropper" maybe we should not use the word COCKTAIL to begin with...:D

Hence, I found the Mr. Bostons' book to be LOADED with offensive cockta...er...drink mixes...

:lol:

It is my understanding that the term "cocktail" refers to a rooster feather, the original swizzle stick. If that is offensive, we are truly doomed.

Tim

HAHA. It's listed as "Temporarily Out Of Stock" on Amazon.

They're getting slammed with orders.

Classic. Anything banned hast GOT TO be good.

Absolutely ridiculous! Reprimanding that book isn't going to ever change the names of these cocktails, these drinks have been around for years. If I had a nickel for every screwdriver ive ever drank I would I would have an endless bourbon bar and never once did I consider the name to be offending anyone. Im 38 years old and I have not once heard anyone complain about the names of these drinks. Get f#@&%?$ real!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.