"...stored at not more than 125 proof..."?

O'DubhGhaill
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have tried to find the answer on my own, but if federal law requires that "Bourbon whisky" (27 CFR 5.22(B)(1)(i)) "is whisky produced at not exceeding 160 proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn...and stored at not more than 125 proof in charred new oak containers...." how is it that barrel proof bourbons, e.g. ECBP, Stagg, etc., are bottled at proof exceeding 125? Does the proof increase as the angels take their annual share? Thanks for your patience with this question if it has been asked and answered here before. (BTW, the quoted code uses the Scot's "whisky" spelling throughout, probably because additional sections address other whiskies.)

You are almost correct when you asked if the proof increases as the angels take their annual share. Depending on location in the rick house as far as upper floors (more temperature variation) compared to lower floors, I believe the upper floor barrels loose more water (and increase in proof) and the lower floors loose more alcohol. I might have that reversed.

I have been confused by that explanation before. Alcohol has lower boiling point than water so it looks like it would always evaporate first regardless of the temperature or location.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?13452-Proof-Increase-during-the-aging-process

According to the above thread, this topic has been discussed on here a lot (but the discussions may not always be easy to find). The above thread also contains some clues about the reason(s) for proof increases during aging.

According to a 1954 correspondence from the California State Board of Equalization:

"It appears that the charred oak barrel acts as a semipermeable membrane through which water and alcohol pass to the outer atmosphere and oxygen enters the barrel. The alcohol molecules, being larger, do not pass through the barrel at the same rate as the water molecules. For this reason, although there is some evaporation of water and alcohol during the aging process, the water evaporates more rapidly than the alcohol and the proof tends to increase. . . . The study by Liebmann and Scherl shows first that proof increases during aging from appoximately 102 proof at the beginning of the period to about 109 proof at the end of an 8-year period."

Thanks very much for the link BigBoldBully. I found a comment there that addressed the very question I had regarding why Scot's whisky abv decreased over time, whilst bourbon abv increases, often over half less the time that Scot's whisky ages. Very interesting magic at work on either side of the whiskey/whisky pond.

... the proof increases as the angels take their annual share. Depending on location in the rick house as far as upper floors (more temperature variation) compared to lower floors, I believe the upper floor barrels loose more water (and increase in proof) and the lower floors loose more alcohol. I might have that reversed.

I've always found it rather amusing that the angels' share is actually water because the alcohol stays in the barrel. Less water = higher proof. I understand that bottom floors lose relatively less water. More water = lower proof. I don't think the lower floors lose more alcohol. (Somebody correct this if wrong.) By taking their share, the angels give us better bourbon. Bourbon concentrate as it were.

I've always found it rather amusing that the angels' share is actually water because the alcohol stays in the barrel. Less water = higher proof. I understand that bottom floors lose relatively less water. More water = lower proof. I don't think the lower floors lose more alcohol. (Somebody correct this if wrong.) By taking their share, the angels give us better bourbon. Bourbon concentrate as it were.

Well, if the bourbon went into the barrel at 125 proof, and comes out at 115, then the proof went down. Barrels in both situations lose both water and alcohol, just in differing ratios.

An example of losing proof is the recently released Wild Turkey Masters Keep. As it was stored in a lower valley stone rickhouse, the smaller water molecules actually went INTO the barrel. It was barreled at 107 proof, dumped at 89 proof and bottled at 86.8. It was the time at the damper stone rickhouse that reduced it's proof.

An example of losing proof is the recently released Wild Turkey Masters Keep. As it was stored in a lower valley stone rickhouse, the smaller water molecules actually went INTO the barrel. It was barreled at 107 proof, dumped at 89 proof and bottled at 86.8. It was the time at the damper stone rickhouse that reduced it's proof.

Sure, but alcohol has to leave the barrel too, otherwise you would end up with a full barrel after 17 years.

The answer on angel's share is, it is a European expression originally, meant to explain conditions in French brandy and Scots whisky warehouses. It was adapted for use here but implies imperfectly for the reason you mentioned.

Where outside atmosphere is very high in humidity, water can enter barrel too, which is probably why some Scots whisky has a faint saline edge. So the comparative loss of water and alcohol sometimes favours one or the other depending on the maturation conditions.

Gary

www.beeretseq.com

Thanks to Gillman, amg, and GAbiker. You guys, and those like you, are why SB is worth way more than the cost of membership.

I just now discovered a very interesting

. He discusses, inter alia, how barrels on the first floor will lose proof over time while those far up will experience dramatic increases in proof over time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.