"Instant Aging" Cheap Bourbon Myth

UGARedDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://lifehacker.com/make-cheap-bourbon-taste-better-with-this-instant-agin-1737429843

This kind of stuff pisses me off; although, I should admit I haven't tried it. I just can't imagine this really being any good. I certainly wouldn't call myself a "whiskey expert" just an "experienced whiskey drinker."

I guess my real question is: what do I do when some well-intentioned (but classless) friend of mine tries to get me to drink such a blasphemous concoction? :hot: Hahaha

Pretty sure this qualifies as a Whiskey liqueur, not a 'cheap bourbon'. Not much different from Southern Comfort, or any of the cinnamon flavored products.

Doesn't make it any better though...

What do you do? Educate him. Otherwise he might do it again.

Not that the writer ever exhibited any credibility, but any that he did have went out with the window with this inane statement: "The price difference between good bourbon and cheap stuff is usually $50-$100."

Not that the writer ever exhibited any credibility, but any that he did have went out with the window with this inane statement: "The price difference between good bourbon and cheap stuff is usually $50-$100."

That was a comment, not part of the article.

The inane comment was "anything in plastic" which is a glib, superficial statement that implies knowledge but shows a lack of same. Wild Turkey 101 is sold in a plastic 750 Traveler container and I wouldn't call that cheap hooch.

Still, all the article is really saying is you can add flavoring to inexpensive whisky which should pass for common knowledge anywhere.

haha yea, I saw that too and couldn't stop laughing. it was a someone else who made a comment tho and not the actual author of the article. Still, someone else made a comment about how Sherry will cost $15-20 for a bottle when all you will use is a tablespoon of it. that in itself, makes the process not worth it unless you have an open bottle of it already. if it was that easy to turn crap bourbon into good bourbon, many of these NDP's would have already done it and been successful with it. well I guess there's that honey and apple stuff...

Flavoring doesn't change what it is anymore than putting lipstick on a pig. The best way to disguise cheap whisky is pour it into an empty bottle that once held good whisky.

They left out the step wherein you pour it through a Brita filter. That's just lack of attention to detail right there ...

http://lifehacker.com/make-cheap-bourbon-taste-better-with-this-instant-agin-1737429843

This kind of stuff pisses me off; although, I should admit I haven't tried it. I just can't imagine this really being any good. I certainly wouldn't call myself a "whiskey expert" just an "experienced whiskey drinker."

I guess my real question is: what do I do when some well-intentioned (but classless) friend of mine tries to get me to drink such a blasphemous concoction? :hot: Hahaha

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.