Crown Royal store select

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my stores got in their bottles of PS Crown Royal that is 103 proof. I liked the CR Northern Harvest Rye so much I picked up a bottle earlier this week. Haven't opened it yet but I expect it will get visited this weekend.

Went by my other store an hour ago and they tell me they are getting some in and it will be over 100 proof as well.

Anyone seeing similar bottles in their locales and does anyone have any tasting notes?

It is all 103 proof as far as I know. Stores don't get to "select" their barrel, they just get one given to them at random. Had a bottle from the Texas SB from early last year and did a SBS recently with the SB from a local store and found there was certainly some variability from barrel to barrel as would be expected. Nice enough bottle and certainly one of the better CR options out there but not exactly complex.

Thanks tans. At least with this and the northern harvest rye they are moving in the right direction

I've seen it a large grocery store chain here. They actually bought two different barrels. I used to drink CR before I got into bourbon. I'm somewhat interested, but not for $65.00. :rolleyes:

I'd never seen this until yesterday and bought a bottle also 103 proof but being 39.99 was a big motivator to purchase as well

I'd never seen this until yesterday and bought a bottle also 103 proof but being 39.99 was a big motivator to purchase as well

I used to work at one of the best liquor stores in California. I got to taste this when we were considering whether to carry it. I thought it was outstanding and delicious. Very bourbon-like but with its own twist. What you're basically getting, if I recall correctly, is the bourbon-like main flavor whiskey that is the heart of crown royal, without any grain whiskies blended in. I recall it being spicy, fairly complex, and delicious. Really enjoyed the proof. Would have definitely bought a bottle myself, but I too agree that it is overpriced. $35 to $40 would be much more fair for what it is. But it's Diageo, so what can you expect? To my consternation, our store decided not to carry it, citing it as "way too hot" for the proof (strongly disagreed with them there). But I do think as far as a business judgment, that was probably a good call-- it's sort of an awkward niche-- too strong and intense for the typical Crown drinker, a hard sell to the typical bourbon drinker who dismisses Canadians with extreme prejudice, and too expensive all around. For the price they're asking, everyone should be buying Four Roses barrel proof single barrels selections.

All that said, I thought it was a very thoroughly enjoyable whisky, and really nice to try something tasty at a high proof from Canada.

I've seen it a large grocery store chain here. They actually bought two different barrels. I used to drink CR before I got into bourbon. I'm somewhat interested, but not for $65.00. :rolleyes:

Not sure whether I had a brain fart, or if the store dropped its price, but I was there this past weekend, and they still had some form both barrels priced at $52.99. Knowing me and my CRS disease, it was probably a brain fart. :crazy:

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.