BOTM 11/15: Eagle Rare Single Barrel

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had a store select recently that was excellent and as others have noted with store selects, it was darker than the traditional release.

I really enjoy ER. I recently purchases a store select and am looking forward to trying that version.

Well, I thought it was "time" to open one of my "10 year" neck labels and compare it to the latest release. Changed my mind. I have many more than a dozen bottles of other comparably priced and similarly available things open, some of which I haven't touched in a year or two or three. I decided I'd wait to do a SBS of ER10. After all, it's never been a regular pour although I liked it enough to bunker some (kind of like HMcK BIB a few of which are also bunkered because I liked the particular release). Oh, well, back to whatever I already have in the glass. Store selects? Tell me more.

Store selects? Tell me more.

As most folks know, store selects tend to be at the very least a little better than a normal bottling. Sometimes they can be great. On rare occasions, fantastic. At odd times they might leave something to be desired. I've experienced all of these with ER 10. After my introduction to ER10, I got lucky and was able to get a couple of bottles of a private selection. They was great. A while later I was informed of yet another store pick, and I was able to get one of those too. Wow! :bigeyes: It was even better than the previous one's I'd purchased. Absolutely fantastic. Then……… One day my wife and I took a drive. I had my list of liquor stores with me, and my gps was all fired up. We stopped at one place, and they had their own private selection of ER 10. The store even had it on sale at a really great price. I was a pretty happy camper. I was seriously considering buying a case. The only reasons I didn't were because I'd found a few other things that day, and my wife suggesting only buying one, and if I liked it, we could come back and I could buy a case. Sounded reasonable to me. I'm glad I listened to her. Got home, settled in, popped the top and had a nice pour. :puke: This bottle of ER10 tasted nothing at all like any bottle of it I'd had before, or have had since.Went back to it a few days later. Same thing. I kept waiting for it to get better, and it never did. To tell y'all the truth, I'm not sure how I ever finished that bottle, because it was almost to the point of being undrinkable. Goes to show ya' just never know.

Joe

I've got one in the bunker, I may open it later this month, but, I have been trying to limit my number of open bottles to 5. I usually rotate between them and somehow they all seem to empty close to each other time wise. I will definitely throw this one in my next group of 5. Unless I find Binnys private selection, then, I will definitely break my rule and open it.

ER10 was one of my first entries into the bourbon world, along with Blanton's. I was staying at a resort and one of the resort shops had a bottle open for customers who stopped in to browse and shop, that day. I recall the pour making the shopping experience a pleasant one and now I have a bottle in reserve, most of the time. It's a good value for the money, when a lot of options keep getting more expensive.

As with many here, ER was one of the first bourbons that really grabbed me. I have had many store selects in addition to the standard releases. I'm sipping a Harlan Wheatley store select as I sit here typing. Yeah I know its 11:55AM, but I have the house to myself and I'm taking full advantage. I have shared these bottles with many friends and bourbon newbies to great effect. To me there is a bolt of purity through these bottlings that sets them apart. Clean in a manner of speaking. The combination of vanilla,barrel notes and a hint of orange essence is killer. I even have a magnum of a store select. Can't say why I bought it other than the I love the bourbon, the graphics and it IS really big. What do you of with a magnum of great bourbon?

And I've been informed (as previous posters have stated) that ER10 lost it's Single Barrel designation due to changes in their bottling process. They cannot 100% guarantee that a minimal amount from one barrel does mix in with another during bottling. Loss of the Single Barrel designation occurred at the same time that MANY distillers were being sued for labeling claims such as "hand crafted". Rather than having to face possibility of lawsuits, they just dropped the SB designation.

I have on hand a bottle purchased at the BT gift shop and Store Select from Liquor Barn in BG, KY and recently a Store Select that involved in selecting at my store.

The gift shop bottle was classic ER, not much different from other shelf bottles. Refined, vanilla, some dark fruits and a little citrus.

The LBSS is a little darker, a little more oak on finish, seems a little more one dimensional but still tasty....

Not tooting my own horn (or the other SB members that helped me pick our store select) the ER10SS is one the best ER's I've had in quite some time. Honestly, we received 4 samples. 1st two were meh, 3rd was just okay....last sample was sublime. If I had to guess I'd say its way older (a measurable level darker), nose full of vanilla, dark cherry/fruit, caramel...lovely. Medium thick mouth feel, all the nose coming through on taste but even stronger. Nice oak on long finish. This is one that I bunkered.

And it was obviously a hit with customers...only a couple bottles left of the barrel. Customers returning and buying by the case.

just picked up a single barrel store select of ER10, looking forward to trying this tonight.

And I've been informed (as previous posters have stated) that ER10 lost it's Single Barrel designation due to changes in their bottling process. They cannot 100% guarantee that a minimal amount from one barrel does mix in with another during bottling. Loss of the Single Barrel designation occurred at the same time that MANY distillers were being sued for labeling claims such as "hand crafted". Rather than having to face possibility of lawsuits, they just dropped the SB designation.

Does anyone know why BT decided it was too inconvenient to flush the lines for ER but not their other single barrels? Cost of time and labor were probably factors but at least one other bourbon I can think of used to brag that it was expensive but worth it.

Does anyone know why BT decided it was too inconvenient to flush the lines for ER but not their other single barrels? Cost of time and labor were probably factors but at least one other bourbon I can think of used to brag that it was expensive but worth it.

Different lines I believe. ER moved to the new one, the other single barrels stay on the old one. (This is coming from a sketchy memory and could be wrong).

When you're having as much trouble keeping up with demand as they are, every drop counts. :rolleyes:

I'd rather them not waste good bourbon, than see a SB designation on a bottle. Personally, I could care less what they call it.

I just ordered a bottle from the only place around here I could find any. I didn't see it In their store but they listed it online

Just opened up another store select Eagle Rare 10, what a great pour for under $30 a bottle. Also, a nice bourbon when you just want to have a bourbon without thinking too much about it. 90 proof and 10 years old. What's not to like?

It's $32 here for a store select, and it is a great pour. Will be going back to get a couple more bottles of this to bunker.

It's $32 here for a store select, and it is a great pour. Will be going back to get a couple more bottles of this to bunker.

If I may ask; Which Store???

If I may ask; Which Store???

Superfine wines in Canton. I ended up getting two more bottles, there looked like there was 2 750ml bottles left, and 2 375ml bottles left.

I just opened my bottle. My first impression was just the alcohol with a sour after taste. I got some black licorice. Little or no sweet, and some pepper, but not rye pepper. The nose was OK but not strong. Oaky maybe?

My first thoughts were that this isn't as good as regular BT.

As I drank it more I watched the whiskey btch review and she mentioned the flavors taking a while to come. I agree with that. The taste was better the longer I left it in my mouth.

The finish does last a while but I can't really pin it down. It tastes stronger than 90proof. Not sure how much I like it, but I will give it another try after it is open a couple days.

Tom

Eagle Rare 10 is one I buy on a regular basis. To me it is a very good bourbon and occasionally get an outstanding bottle. Purchased 2 bottles 3 weeks ago @ $27, one lighter in color than the other, the lighter color of the two is the one I have open. My tasting notes fall in line with most I've read smooth, light caramel, nice oak, finish is light burn ,cherry moderate hang time. It is one I am happy to still find on the shelf.

I tried a whole pour last night and it was tasty. The sour and bitter notes were gone for me. I still have no clue if it was just me, or whether opening the bottle helped.

Multiple stores here have a few bottles on the shelf for $38 plus tax. I've passed on them as I'm not sure I'm in at that price point.

I remember tastings in years past as being "Good", yet short of "Great".

Thoughts on whether this is worth $40+ out the door? If it were $10 cheaper, I'd be in...

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.