It was not a dream (Glenfarclas)

dmarkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I just got back from London.

As we're walking from I forget where now to the Tube to go back to our hotel, I decide to switch it up a bit and take a walk down the side streets. I'm walking through Mayfair, so needless to say it's quite a "posh" section of town. I stumble upon a wine store (Hedonism Wine on Davies St) and see they have Whisky. "Oh sweetie, let's just pop in there for a second. I want to get a chuckle and see what they have there." My lovely girlfriend indulges me. It is a Tuesday night. There in the back, in front of the $10,000+ wall of whiskies (yes they did have PVW 20 by the way and yes they did want 3 GRAND for it) is a man.

This man is a man from Glenfarclas. He is showing off his wares. He's got a new release they're selling called the 511.19 Family Reserve. He'd like me to taste it. This man also has. This man. Also. Has. Open. The following (eep) bottles:

Glenfarclas 25 year old

Glenfarclas 30 year old

Glenfarclas 40 year old

Glenfarclas 1956 (almost 60 years old)

He pours each one for me to taste. Not little sips, but pours as if he's known me for 20 years. I can honestly say that all of these whiskies (didn't try the 25 - how bourgeois!) were delicious. The 30 and the 1956 had strong notes of wood spice, and a liveliness like much younger whiskies, but the 40 had a buttery-ness that made it stand out for my girlfriend; she loved it. The '56, 40, and 30 all had plenty of what you'd expect, with a bit of tobacco, deep, toasty caramel-ish flavor to them. Each one was distinctive and delicious.

I will say this however. I do strongly believe that once you get to whiskies of that age (say past 20 or so) it's down to personal preference, cask selection, and storage more than age. You really can't say that any of these was any *better* than any other, just that they were all super yummy and different. I wish I'd had more time, a leather chair, and perhaps a dash of water to give you guys a better review.

I walked out of that shop tipsy, with maybe $300's worth (at a bar) of free whisky in my belly and HAPPY, with a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 and Glenfarclas 511.90 (less deep tobacco, more green apple). Neither one had an age statement. Didn't try the 105, but a bloke came in, tasted the spirits with me, and pointed at the bottle and said, "That's the best damned 50-pound bottle of whisky you'll ever drink". That was enough for me to pick one up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21799&stc=1

post-6047-14489822956641_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmarkle
adding image

You were in the right place at the right time!

I like the Glenfarclas 105. It's a nice cask-strength Sherry bomb. Check the back for an age statement. The last bottle I had said it was ten years old on the back.

That is cool, DM. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have had limited exposure to Glenfarclas, but have always enjoyed saying it in my best Scottish Brogue. :D Now, your post has given me a hankerin' to pick one up!

I've been on a Glendronach spree lately snapping up a few Revivals, but I did recently pick up a Glenfarclas 12 for $50. The 105 does not appear to be widely available, but is about $100 around here, so not cheap.

Great story and run! I hope to rest a 40 yr in my bunker one day, but it's crept up in price a lot the last few years and is harder to justify.

Every time I relate the story verbally, I use my best Scottish voice as well. All my Ralfy-watching has proven helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenfarclas 105 has been a favorite of mine for many years. I just pulled my bottle off the shelf and there is indeed a 10 year age statement on the back label. They've made 20 year 105 (very limited) and 40 year 105 (extremely limited) in the past. There's a bottle of 20 year 105 sitting in a bar in Montreal that I've been eyeing for a while. I think that's at the top of my list next time I'm up there. Last time I was there I snagged a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 year, which doesn't get exported to the US.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/28/2015, 12:39:59, VT Mike said:

Glenfarclas 105 has been a favorite of mine for many years. I just pulled my bottle off the shelf and there is indeed a 10 year age statement on the back label. They've made 20 year 105 (very limited) and 40 year 105 (extremely limited) in the past. There's a bottle of 20 year 105 sitting in a bar in Montreal that I've been eyeing for a while. I think that's at the top of my list next time I'm up there. Last time I was there I snagged a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 year, which doesn't get exported to the US.

I just bought a couple more bottles of 10 year age-stated GF 105 today.  Not only is it not widely available, but I do understand that the 10 year age statement is going away.  For my own peace of mind and enjoyment, I'd rather have a few bottles around with the age statement.  The 105 is outstanding IMO.

14 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I just bought a couple more bottles of 10 year age-stated GF 105 today.  Not only is it not widely available, but I do understand that the 10 year age statement is going away.  For my own peace of mind and enjoyment, I'd rather have a few bottles around with the age statement.  The 105 is outstanding IMO.

The 15 year is kind of special because it is non-chill filtered and bottled at 46%, where most of the rest of the lineup is 43% (12, 17, 18 (duty free only) 21, 25 and 30, the 10 year is at 40%) and chill filtered. I definitely recommend picking up a 15 if you are traveling outside of the US and come across one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.