Mature wheaters (or lack thereof)

Sean Bond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Look around at sales flyers. It had been marked down everywhere in StL.

Just curious....What's it selling for there?

11 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

at costco and binny's right now it's going for $50 on sale.

Good point, it's been $50 at Binny's for a little while now, and is the second time I've seen it at that price there in the last few months.

I've seem it two places below $40. I actually got mine for 23.99, but now I realize they probably had trouble scanning the Barcode, and rang up MM instead

38 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I've seem it two places below $40. I actually got mine for 23.99, but now I realize they probably had trouble scanning the Barcode, and rang up MM instead

WOW!

3 hours ago, Sean Bond said:

Good point, it's been $50 at Binny's for a little while now, and is the second time I've seen it at that price there in the last few months.

yup, I picked it up the first time it was down at that price from Binny's.  then saw it at Costco for that same price too, might've been $48 tho, I forget.

8 hours ago, Sean Bond said:

. . . . I haven't had 20 or 23 year Pappy, so I can't comment on what such significant age does to a wheater . . . .

I have, quite a bit actually, they were too woody for my tastes.  A bit of explanation perhaps, In all fairness I can say the same of overaged rye recipe Bourbons as well.  Back when the Pappy line was still comparatively reasonably priced I bought the older ones for single malt friends who were locked into the "older is better" mindset though I half suspect it was a display of wealth as well.  No matter, I got to share in the drinking so can't complain.

A word about older Bourbons generally.  You can take a 12+ year old barrel of Bourbon that is woody beyond the point of drinkability and by careful, selective filtering, remove enough of the astringent tannic wood influence to make it something the average consumer can swallow.  Filtering processes developed by the rum and beer industries are so sophisticated they can remove just the objectionable parts while leaving color, complexity, and to a large degree flavor not nearly so diminished as mention of the process would indicate.

In short they can bring it back to a point of pleasing mildness that will appeal to most consumers, especially those with disposable cash who want something more impressive than challenging.

maybe that keeps them special.  weller antique is versatile.   if you want a vaporous roar drink it as is.  if you want to taste the rainbow...cut it at various levels of 'neatness'.    its one of the best (if not the) buys in wheaters.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎40‎:‎10‎, SebastianLloyd said:

I know this isn't bourbon but has anyone tried Dry Fly 100% wheat?

The only 100% wheater I have had is bernheim wheat whiskey

1 hour ago, BourbonGuy said:

The Bernheim is in a different class of whiskey from bourbon for sure, but it is not 100% wheat.  I believe I have read that the wheat content in the mash bill is 51%.  

I'm another who doesn't care for regular MM but does like MMCS.  The CS seems like it has much more complexity and my bottle at least tastes noticeably older than MM or MM46.   Regular MM tastes almost like it's diluted with PGA and then cut down to 90 proof. :(

smokinjoe  is correct in saying Bernheim is a wheat whiskey with around 51% wheat (probably). Careful when you say "wheater" or "wheated" as those terms generally refer to a bourbon with wheat in the mashbill (MM, Larceny, Weller, Winkle) not a wheat whiskey (Bernheim, Dry Fly). 

Also, all I get from MMCS is grass and rubbing alcohol, so if you're hesitant about buying a bottle (even 375), I would try it at a bar first. Though I am not a fan of the standard or 46. 

3 hours ago, Chris m said:

Also, all I get from MMCS is grass and rubbing alcohol,

This is what I get as well which is really disappointing because I really, really, want to like it because I know what a good batch of Maker's can taste like.

21 hours ago, Chris m said:

Also, all I get from MMCS is grass and rubbing alcohol, so if you're hesitant about buying a bottle (even 375), I would try it at a bar first. Though I am not a fan of the standard or 46. 

That's exactly what I got when I tried it a few months ago for the first time.  I bought one of the little sized bottles (100ml?)  and thought to myself "maybe I just got a bad bottle".  So, a week later, bought another small bottle at a different store and still got the same, nasty taste.  Poured it down the drain and will never try it again.  I'm not willing to spend bigger bucks to try the MMCS if it's just gonna be a stronger version of the same awful stuff!

Edited by starhopper

Rumor has it there is a 12 year MM in the pipeline with speculation that it will be in the gift shop in 2016 with national distribution in 2017.  Basically a double aged Makers. Will be fun to compare with W12 and VSOF 12.

4 hours ago, bigmzungu said:

Rumor has it there is a 12 year MM in the pipeline with speculation that it will be in the gift shop in 2016 with national distribution in 2017.  Basically a double aged Makers. Will be fun to compare with W12 and VSOF 12.

Older Maker's at 50% or higher would be great.  I want to like Weller, but Buffalo Trace doesn't even seem to ship it to the New York area.  I'm not paying $54 plus for Old Weller Antique just because a bunch of New Yorkers want to refill old Pappy bottles with it.  (Either BT isn't shipping it here or that's what is happening, because I never see it on the shelves or in bars here - except 1 or 2 bottles per year for over $50).

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎44‎:‎34‎, bigmzungu said:

19 hours ago, danz said:

Older Maker's at 50% or higher would be great.  I want to like Weller, but Buffalo Trace doesn't even seem to ship it to the New York area.  I'm not paying $54 plus for Old Weller Antique just because a bunch of New Yorkers want to refill old Pappy bottles with it.  (Either BT isn't shipping it here or that's what is happening, because I never see it on the shelves or in bars here - except 1 or 2 bottles per year for over $50).

MM12 at 100 proof or greater would indeed be interesting. Maybe they will eventually do a cask strength version as MM is now and MM46 will soon be (I think distillery only at the moment?). But if MM46 cask strength is $40 for a 375ml at the distillery I shudder to think what they will ask for a MM12 even at 90 proof like MM or 96 proof like MM46 much less at cask strength.

Certainly isn't going to be in the price range VSOF12 or Weller 12 was back when you could still find those two, even if it is just 90 proof like those two are.

13 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

MM12 at 100 proof or greater would indeed be interesting. Maybe they will eventually do a cask strength version as MM is now and MM46 will soon be (I think distillery only at the moment?). But if MM46 cask strength is $40 for a 375ml at the distillery I shudder to think what they will ask for a MM12 even at 90 proof like MM or 96 proof like MM46 much less at cask strength.

Certainly isn't going to be in the price range VSOF12 or Weller 12 was back when you could still find those two, even if it is just 90 proof like those two are.

That's a good point, although I'd be willing to pay a little premium if that means MM12 Cask stays on shelves longer than W12 (or 107, even). I like MMCS a lot, and it's pretty great that I can actually find it on the shelves at multiple liquor stores (and for decent prices). 

MMCS seems to have come down in price slightly now that the shine has come off of it, novelty-wise. Perhaps we will see the same thing happen with a 12yr release.

I paid 50 for my 750 of MMCS. I'd pay 60 to try the 12. Probably not more, though.

• 1 month later...

Speaking in general about wishes, I wish fervently that Maker's would leave some number of barrels in a sweet spot in some rick house (if they even  know where there is a sweet spot?), instead of rotating positions of barrels all the damned time. 

I know, I know; their deal is CONSISTENCY.   Rotating the barrels throughout the floors and, who knows even the sides and edges even of their warehouses, gives 'em that; but it prevents the possibility of getting a superior barrel every once in a while.     And, it makes even the thought of extra aging some of 'em onerous since the additional years would mean even more expensive movement.    I wonder if The Samuels' have given any thought to such a program, just for a "Limited Release" which we all know can be such a cash cow for a brand.   Just a few random thoughts about older wheaters......

Totally agree ^. Oh well, maybe an NDP will buy their distillate and do it for 'em...

...maybe one already HAS :o:blink::ph34r:

No, I don't have any secret knowledge. Just good ol' SB.com reckless speculation!

Edited by The Black Tot

Agree!  Based on my limited experience with the MMCS, it would be sublime with a little more age. 

I'd even go so far to say that I'd kick anything Weller's ass...

Didn't someone recently say that MM was only scratching at the tip of their proverbial iceberg? 

• 3 months later...

I've seen OWA on shelves in Manhattan for ridiculous prices - $50 a bottle. But that was last year so I'm sure it's even more now.

WP_20150110_004.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.