Metze's Select

MDBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/19/2016, 3:25:55, PaulO said:

I'm not sure what the concept or who the market is for this.  I've been underwhelmed by Bernhiem Wheat.  So this is  much younger plus about half GNS. :wacko:

Young whisky blended with GNS is much cheaper to produce so I recon their market is those who use whisky primarily as a mixer.  Compete with the Canadians and save on shipping expense.

• 3 months later...

I finally tried it last night.  It wasn't what I expected.  With the high rye, I was expecting spice.  First I too a sniff and usually get alcohol and have blow a puff of air into the glass.  This one had a light nose of cherries and caramel.  The first sip, smooth, very smooth.  A tiny bite, and sweet flavor.  I liked it.  Guys with more experience than me can correct me here, but the closest light bourbon that I think of is Angels Envy.

16 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

I finally tried it last night.  It wasn't what I expected.  With the high rye, I was expecting spice.  First I too a sniff and usually get alcohol and have blow a puff of air into the glass.  This one had a light nose of cherries and caramel.  The first sip, smooth, very smooth.  A tiny bite, and sweet flavor.  I liked it.  Guys with more experience than me can correct me here, but the closest light bourbon that I think of is Angels Envy.

Not sure which MGP product you are speaking of. The Metze's Select is a bourbon. The MGP whiskey called Cloud's Batch '41 (not sure it is out yet) is a blended whiskey with 49% GNS.

Angel's Envy is a lot of things to a lot of people but it is also a bourbon. Perhaps you mean it has a "light" nose and or palate? But the term "Light Whiskey" means something else altogether! And apparently different from Blended Whiskey as well which is what Cloud's Batch is apparently.

Closest thing I can think of today is "American Spirit Whiskey" which is produced not far from me here in town. Basically it claims to be heavily filtered white dog with some other stuff (probably GNS) mixed in as best I can tell. Not light whiskey exactly but also not bourbon.

It is all rather confusing. Best to just stick to straight bourbon and rye!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Not sure which MGP product you are speaking of. The Metze's Select is a bourbon. The MGP whiskey called Cloud's Batch '41 (not sure it is out yet) is a blended whiskey with 49% GNS.

Angel's Envy is a lot of things to a lot of people but it is also a bourbon. Perhaps you mean it has a "light" nose and or palate? But the term "Light Whiskey" means something else altogether! And apparently different from Blended Whiskey as well which is what Cloud's Batch is apparently.

Closest thing I can think of today is "American Spirit Whiskey" which is produced not far from me here in town. Basically it claims to be heavily filtered white dog with some other stuff (probably GNS) mixed in as best I can tell. Not light whiskey exactly but also not bourbon.

It is all rather confusing. Best to just stick to straight bourbon and rye!

You hit the nail on the head.  Thanks.  By light, I did mean in nose and especially palate.  I found Angels Envy to also be light in palate.  I guess, I had a error in thinking that Greg Metze would make a bourbon similar to Bookers, Elijah Craig.  But he did an excellent job, IMHO.  I will buy another bottle and bunker it.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:34 PM, KyleCBreese said:

A local store has this on clearance. I might go pick one up.

Curious....How much (if you don't mind me asking)?

2 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

Curious....How much (if you don't mind me asking)?

It was either $50 or $60. I can't remember. I think I'll go back for one. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:58 PM, smokinjoe said:

I may be way of base on this, but it may be a way to commemorate their history by offering a combo of product from both of their distilling operations?  Wheat whiskey from Lawrenceburg  and wheat GNS from Atchison?  Or, if both are produced in the same facility, perhaps giving a nod to both their aged whiskies, and the historical general alcohol production from Kansas.

I believe this is correct. There's no market for a product of this sort, so it was most likely given out to employees of the company at both distillery facilities for a one-off release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.