'Tis the season - which bourbon (or whiskey) speaks Christmas to you?

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We all have our favorites that speak to us this time of year for various reasons. Could be flavor, could be tradition, could be memories that were made while drinking a regular or a special favorite.

There's a few for me. 

First is George T Stagg and Handy. It was while visiting family during Christmas that my brother-in-law introduced me to these two. I was a Makers and Woodford guy prior to this and these two started me on the journey that eventually brought me here and turned me into an enthusiast. It was the following year that I was finally able to purchase my own bottles and that happened at Christmas so I cracked my own bottles for the first time during the season.

Second would be Lot B. PVW season in Washington State comes late so I was able to purchase my first bottle of this in a December and I saved it for Christmas Eve. Lot B is what it is and is and does not live up to the hype, but I forever associate it with Christmas Eve and day now so I'm kind of stuck in that I want to have one on hand because of that.

Lastly would HWMWND. This is another one that I was able to purchase for the first time in December of last year so it became associated with the season. I will admit to being influenced by the power of suggestion in that it's "Christmas in a glass". That works for me and the image of that has stuck.

Come Christmas Eve and Day, all of these will be sampled.

Which are yours?

It's funny you said HW because I was thinking rr for some reason. No particular reason, just seems like Christmas is more of a rye holiday

I found a bottle of the HWMWND last month and am waiting to open 'er up Xmas eve - hopefully, I won't be disappointed!

Cleveland Christmas bourbon, of course!...... KIDDING

I'll have to jump on the HWMWND pile here as well. Planning a SBS of acts 1, 2, and 3 this Christmas.

AECS always seems to hit here right before the holidays, and those Wings on the fancy box make it seem Christmasy

I will join the HW MWND band wagon.

Although I hope to have some of the new High West Yippee Ki-Yay arriving soon (young ryes from MGP and Barton finished in sweet Vya vermouth and Syrah barrels). The vermouth finished rye by itself was superb and I kind of wish David would release some of that by itself! So it remains to be seen how that works as a Christmas delicacy.

Very well I suspect!

It seems to vary by season for me.  Last year it was probably sb.com HHSSII.  Years prior to that it was Pappy or BTAC.  This year I anticipate it being the 1792 Port finish strangely enough.  Seems like a nice fireside pour, though.

Traditionally, I'd have to go with any of the BTAC, Wild Turkey or Van Winkle brands.  Mostly, because the holiday season falls after their releases (and they weren't available any other time).  The best of the premiums, often high proofed (or rye) for the seasonal weather of the holiday season! 

The exception is the Turkey, it was always available and just seemed to go hand in hand with the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.  You know, turkey with Turkey...;)

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, particularly the 2013 vintage is like fruitcake in a bottle.

Off to Bottles in Providence for a Pappy taste off - Pappy 20 vs. EC18. I think the recently released John E. Fitzgerald would have been a much more appropriate challenger for the Pappy seeing as it's secondary grain is also wheat and it's Stitzel Weller. Oh well.

HWMWND for sure and Angel's Envy Rye. I would also put WT101 in there as it is an accessible bourbon for everyone and part of my family's holiday traditions.

Hoping on the HWMND train as well. Just fantastic for the holidays (and pairs great with a cigar -  as someone on here mentioned). Also, I'll be breaking out some FRSB Store selects.

1 hour ago, atbat82 said:

Hoping on the HWMND train as well. Just fantastic for the holidays (and pairs great with a cigar -  as someone on here mentioned). Also, I'll be breaking out some FRSB Store selects.

I'll be cracking one of my MWND on Christmas (not sure if I'll crack the act 2 or 3 yet) but I opened a FRSB OESK (9yr 11m) last night and it is wonderful! Spicy with tons of vanilla and caramel and a little hint of like this berry thing it has going on. Tastes like the holidays to me!

[Aside - Thanks, Flahute.  Lot B was my welcome home bourbon up to about 2005 when I started having trouble finding it and more importantly thought it tasted different so stopped buying it.  Like good cigars which I also gave up years ago, I still miss it.  It was the bottle I always shared at Christmas.  My wistfulness will be a little less intense this year after seeing your remarks.  And that deserves thanks - can't have a sad Santa.]

Still treating newbie family members to the world of bourbon.  Last year was BT and MM.  This year, bonded OGD and VOB.  The rye? WT101.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
typos. sheesh

Four Roses SmBLE is my pour of choice the past few years for Christmas Eve...and Christmas day.  This is the first year in quite a while that we're not going to be able to go see our families in KY.  But I'll still be having a taste with family in my thoughts.

I guess Christmas bourbon to me would be Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms. If I could get it, I think RHF would be my top choice, but I can't, so ...

Tim

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎45‎:‎13‎, ratcheer said:

I guess Christmas bourbon to me would be Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms. If I could get it, I think RHF would be my top choice, but I can't, so ...

Tim

I am with you Tim.  I kind of lean toward BT products on Christmas.  My guess is I will probably have some GTS and Blanton's.   I have some RHF so we may pull it out too.  :D

HWMND....I got 2 bottles of it last year. Drank one and saved one for this year. I just opened the other 2 nights ago. Love it. Different but so good. Saw this year's version today in the store for almost $80....damn

9 hours ago, FlounderinDC said:

HWMND....I got 2 bottles of it last year. Drank one and saved one for this year. I just opened the other 2 nights ago. Love it. Different but so good. Saw this year's version today in the store for almost $80....damn

I paid 69.00 for it this year. It is awesome!!!

4R 125th is my Christmas season pour as it is the one that tastes like the holidays to me more than any other I have ever had. Its an unfortunate pick as its just about drained but has served me very well. For 2016 there will be a new seasonal star TBD hopefully more easily replaced than the unicorn that currently wears the crown. Until then Vive le 4R 125th!!

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎37‎:‎21‎, squire said:

It's a family holiday so we invite Old Grand Dad.

Hey Squire...... you can't "invite him" if he's already a resident there.:lol:

Oh and BTW I guess for me, the one that I'm looking forward to cracking this end of the year.... William Heaven Hill BIB that was signed by the man. Really been looking forward to it, and can't think of any better time to do it.

Edited by dSculptor

I rather miss the days when distillers sold colorful ceramic decanters at Christmas time. There was probably something toxic in the ceramic but the bourbon didn't last long enough for the whateveritwas to leach out. They made a nice display all lined up behind the bar. Somehow they all got "lost" when we moved.

I make my own Christmas Whiskey each year.  I take a half empty bottle of bourbon, and break up a candy cane in it.  Swirl it around for a few days until it dissolves, then sip on it by the fire.  This year, it's a 1792 that has the honor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.