What bourbons do you like to drink on ice?

BigPapa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I also find that chilling a bourbon (not necessarily with ice, BTW) can release some flavors to me that I don't get when at room temperature.  My guess is that the cooling knocks the sting off the heat of the alcohol, allowing those flavors dominated by the alcohol to become more perceptible to me.  

I've always wondered how the HH6yrBIB would taste out of the refrigerator as that's one you mention quite a bit. But, I've never tried it. Laziness I suppose. My one experience with a chilled bourbon that has made me think along the lines of what you say above was about a month ago. I had a pour of 4RSB that I took with me outside to the hot tub. Outside temp was about 10 degrees (this was eastern Oregon, not the mild Seattle climate) and that glass sitting on the side of the hot tub got quite cold. I was surprised by the difference in flavor and liked it. That wedge glass you got as a gift seems like the perfect way to experiment with this as I don't like ice melting in my bourbon.

I don't always put ice in my bourbon, but when I do ... it's usually a 1.25" ice ball (made with Old Limestone water) during the warm and hot months and usually only with EW Black or Four Roses.  Otherwise, I cut my whiskies with the same water, but with varying amounts, usually .5 oz. - 1.0 oz. per 2 - 4 oz. pour and all depending on proof, my taste, etc.  I always taste before adding water though, so I experience all the way to barrel proof, but find water opens things up incredibly.

Edited by O'DubhGhaill

Not usually an 'ice head' but found many times in the past that ESWB is incredibly well suited to a block or two, probably the only bourbon that seems to improve.

3 hours ago, onemorepour said:

Not usually an 'ice head' but found many times in the past that ESWB is incredibly well suited to a block or two, probably the only bourbon that seems to improve.

EWSB

Any vintage will do

On 12/30/2015, 1:29:29, tanstaafl2 said:

I have found in increasingly that I prefer most cocktails served up (no ice). I certainly use ice to shake or stir as appropriate and I might chill glasses if I have had adequate time and space to prepare ahead.

I also find I rarely drink bourbon with ice. I am sufficiently nerdy to almost always carry an eyedropper of cool water to use as needed. If I am drinking "socially" I almost always tend to have a cocktail if a good one can be had or I am making them myself which of course automatically implies it is a "good one"! :D

If cocktails aren't an option then it might be a port, sherry, brandy or the like. If one is going to be snooty one might as well go all out... B)

LOL about snooty; since the shoe fits, I'll wear it.  I, too, consume most cocktails up, especially when drinking away from home, but I don't hesitate to make the same things in an old fashioned glass with ice on request or on hot days, etc.  And, is it snooty to serve them at home up only in pre-chilled antique crystal glasses holding a measured 2.5 oz?  They date from the late 1940s; I guess back then they didn't drink much per serving (hahaha).  It sure is snooty to keep my 20 or so unopened ports on wooden racks in a small nook in our basement, the nook having brick walls and stone ceiling (well, two stacked large one-inch-thick Pennsylvania slate patio slabs).  Speaking of which, it IS New Year's Eve, and I'm not getting any younger . . .  A Fonseca Guimaraens 1984 is right there on top.

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

LOL about snooty; since the shoe fits, I'll wear it.  I, too, consume most cocktails up, especially when drinking away from home, but I don't hesitate to make the same things in an old fashioned glass with ice on request or on hot days, etc.  And, is it snooty to serve them at home up only in pre-chilled antique crystal glasses holding a measured 2.5 oz?  They date from the late 1940s; I guess back then they didn't drink much per serving (hahaha).  It sure is snooty to keep my 20 or so unopened ports on wooden racks in a small nook in our basement, the nook having brick walls and stone ceiling (well, two stacked large one-inch-thick Pennsylvania slate patio slabs).  Speaking of which, it IS New Year's Eve, and I'm not getting any younger . . .  A Fonseca Guimaraens 1984 is right there on top.

I say go for it! Port will certainly be in my rotation this evening.

And no, I certainly don't think antique crystal glasses for your cocktails is the least bit snooty! But then I may not be an unbiased judge... :D

Sounds like they may be "Nick & Nora" style glasses which were typically much smaller back in the day. I solved that problem by using what I think are probably antique stemmed Sherbet glasses which are a bit larger although a bit shallow making sloshing the drink out a bit of concern especially after the second or third one!

33 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Snooty?

Just watch out for that leaded crystal, Harry!

I don't want you jeopardizing your pregnancy.

On 12/30/2015, 11:02:10, T Comp said:

. . .

BUT it is still common around here at social occasions like weddings  where bartenders have "no shots" orders and can only serve spirits over ice. I posted some years ago,  about it being a big deal and needing a managers approval for the bartender to serve me a neat Knob Creek at the members only stadium club at White Sox park, then named the Jim Beam Club :rolleyes:

Nationals Park's Lexus Presidents Club has the same policy (and the same brands).  When I asked, they did give me an empty plastic cup along with my two cube KC and a napkin for my fingers.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Cool water for me. I find that the ice melts SO fast that my drink becomes diluted before I can blink. I also have whiskey stones but they've adsorbed the smell of the freezer over time. 

I drank some bookers with a small ice cube, and it was weird to see the ice sink to the bottom. I guess frozen water is heavier than 64% alcohol.

21 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I drank some bookers with a small ice cube, and it was weird to see the ice sink to the bottom. I guess frozen water is heavier than 64% alcohol.

Ooooohh!  Going to try this during bowl games today.  Picked up a Booker's #4 on the 31st, and I have to open the bottle before I can put it on the shelf.  "Yeah, that's an old bottle.  It's open, isn't it?"

A note about the ice cube, I'm using ice with no cracks or air bubbles in it. I'm not sure if it will work with all ice cubes.

In a word, none.  Though I usually dilute 'everyday' BPs down to 100 iinto empty bottles (MMCS, ECBP, WTRB, Stagg Jr, Bookers, FR PS, SAOS, as I try to have most distilleries represented). 

LEs like GTS and WLW, though, I'll sip tiny pours at full strength every blue moon or so.

On December 30, 2015 at 1:29:29 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I have found in increasingly that I prefer most cocktails served up (no ice). I certainly use ice to shake or stir as appropriate and I might chill glasses if I have had adequate time and space to prepare ahead.

I also find I rarely drink bourbon with ice. I am sufficiently nerdy to almost always carry an eyedropper of cool water to use as needed. If I am drinking "socially" I almost always tend to have a cocktail if a good one can be had or I am making them myself which of course automatically implies it is a "good one"! :D

If cocktails aren't an option then it might be a port, sherry, brandy or the like. If one is going to be snooty one might as well go all out... B)

What Bruce said...except the eye dropper thing.  His nerdism surpasses mine there.

i will definitely add water to higher proof bourbons but more and more I find ice as a turn off (cocktails too).  I find it generally dulls too much of the flavor.  

It's very rare I use ice, but the two bourbons I like with it are EHTBP, and Stagg Jr.. EHTBP is always hot to me and it handles ice very well. What I like about Stagg Jr. is by the time you get to the end of a glass you have BT, which isn't a bad think at all. 

I do agree with Joe on the social side of using ice while drinking. It makes the drink last longer. Most of the time your not looking to get hammered, you just want something to hold in your hands. This helps prevent you from punching the person your having to talk to because it's rude to say "your an idiot" and walk away. Everyone hates to waste a drink and break a glass... :lol::lol:

I usually drink bourbon neat or with a small splash of water.  But during the summer, or as others have mentioned, social occasions, I will have a bourbon on the rocks.  Thinking of bourbons that are good on ice, Bookers, WTRB, KCSB, OWA, some ECBP batches, and Stagg Jr.  I might have to mix things up tonight, and try one of these tonight!

After reading the above posts I grabbed the smallest ice cube I could find and tossed it into a Canadian Glencairn with some ECBP.  As it diluted I got some really nice barrel char and vanilla notes that changed throughout.  I also have an almost empty bottle with about 1-2 pours of HH6BIB that are about to go in the freezer for my first drink after work tomorrow.  It's nice to try different things from time to time 

I almost never drink bourbon with ice if I have my way.    I don't like the way it mutes the flavors and waters the drink down.    I'll add a splash of water if I'm drinking something that could really use dilution.   As for a cool drink on a hot day, when I want to work bourbon in there -- I might be a bit of a weirdo but I have grown to like a big tumbler of cool water with maybe an ounce at most of whiskey mixed in. 

Edited by ken_mays

I will have to try the tumbler thing the next hour day we get here.

as to ice, maybe you are using too much. I like to chop off a little piece when I use ice. Not enough to dilute much, but enough to get it cold. Not saying you should do it, just that it might be interesting to you.

I had some High West  rendezvous rye matured in there Manhattan cask with ice in my Yeti lowball.

Loved it. A Manhattan flavor without adding sweet vermouth and bitters

Edited by BigPapa

17 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I will have to try the tumbler thing the next hour day we get here.

as to ice, maybe you are using too much. I like to chop off a little piece when I use ice. Not enough to dilute much, but enough to get it cold. Not saying you should do it, just that it might be interesting to you.

I'm sure that's part of it.  Last couple of times, people insist on putting in a cue ball sized piece of ice.    I do prefer bourbon warm or slightly cool at most.  I would put it in the frige before I'd add more than a thumbnail sized chunk of ice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.