Crown Royal Hand Selected Barrel

R-Savage
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I finally decided to break down and buy a bottle of this. :unsure:  I just happened to spot it way behind the checkout counter at a local place I frequent. It was $46.99, which was $6.00 dollars less than the "sale" price at a local grocery store chain. 

I've tried it a few times now, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of this. Interesting to say the least.

Here are my tasting notes, as best as I can do for now.

Color- Fairly light amber, with a slight reddish hue.

Legs- Not much at all. They slide down the glass fairly quickly and in basically one fell swoop. Not much separation at all.

Nose- Heavy vanilla with hints of caramel.

Taste- Very sweet on entry. The vanilla is definitely there, along with a pecan like nutty undertone. The mid-plate is where the rye/spiciness becomes apparent. It's warming, but not too much so. The finish is what mystifies me. The spice is still there, but along with that is some light oak and smoke too. (Possibly from being aged in new charred oak barrels?) The finish isn't all that long either, especially considering it's a 103 proof, supposedly 7 year old, rye based whiskey. What gives here? Like I said, it mystifies me.

Many years ago, I cut my teeth, so to speak, on CC and CR. I like CR. I like CR Black even better, and I thought the CR Cask 16 was very good. I was really looking forward to a 103 proof CR product. All in all, a bit of an odd bird if you ask me, and a slight disappointment. Not bad by any means, and drinkable for sure, but not at all what I was expecting. Probably worth a try if you're looking for something kinda different to try. As for me, I probably won't be buying another bottle unless the price drops by at least $10-$15 a bottle. 

Cheers! Joe

Well, I bought another one of these a while back. It was on close out for $32.99 so I figured why not. I had a small pour after lunch today. My notes from above pretty much still hold true. The only difference is that the nutty pecan undertone has been replaced by one of peanuts.

Biba! Joe

On 1/12/2016 at 6:18 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, I finally decided to break down and buy a bottle of this. :unsure:  I just happened to spot it way behind the checkout counter at a local place I frequent. It was $46.99, which was $6.00 dollars less than the "sale" price at a local grocery store chain. 

I've tried it a few times now, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of this. Interesting to say the least.

Here are my tasting notes, as best as I can do for now.

Color- Fairly light amber, with a slight reddish hue.

Legs- Not much at all. They slide down the glass fairly quickly and in basically one fell swoop. Not much separation at all.

Nose- Heavy vanilla with hints of caramel.

Taste- Very sweet on entry. The vanilla is definitely there, along with a pecan like nutty undertone. The mid-plate is where the rye/spiciness becomes apparent. It's warming, but not too much so. The finish is what mystifies me. The spice is still there, but along with that is some light oak and smoke too. (Possibly from being aged in new charred oak barrels?) The finish isn't all that long either, especially considering it's a 103 proof, supposedly 7 year old, rye based whiskey. What gives here? Like I said, it mystifies me.

Many years ago, I cut my teeth, so to speak, on CC and CR. I like CR. I like CR Black even better, and I thought the CR Cask 16 was very good. I was really looking forward to a 103 proof CR product. All in all, a bit of an odd bird if you ask me, and a slight disappointment. Not bad by any means, and drinkable for sure, but not at all what I was expecting. Probably worth a try if you're looking for something kinda different to try. As for me, I probably won't be buying another bottle unless the price drops by at least $10-$15 a bottle. 

Cheers! Joe

Well, I bought another one of these a while back. It was on close out for $32.99 so I figured why not. I had a small pour after lunch today. My notes from above pretty much still hold true. The only difference is that the nutty pecan undertone has been replaced by one of peanuts.

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.