What beer are you drinking - WINTER 2015-16

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a very good Stout with a friend at lunch today. Goose Island Bourbon, I had never heard of it, but it's the best bourbon aged stout I've ever had. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58078d3c5f44644f76f3430image.thumb.jpeg.12d58b234f820d6e433cb80

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Had a very good Stout with a friend at lunch today. Goose Island Bourbon, I had never heard of it, but it's the best bourbon aged stout I've ever had. 

image.thumb.jpeg.58078d3c5f44644f76f3430image.thumb.jpeg.12d58b234f820d6e433cb80

Very limited and a hard beer to get. 

This sells out like Pappy!!!

I liked them better as single 12 oz bottles. Even the slightly larger 16.9 oz is a lot to drink of this very rich beer on my own now that I drink beer much less often. And you could get them in a four pack instead of the single bottles so it was easier to share with a friend. This is the first year that they were produced in this size.

I stopped by the Avery tap house last night and enjoyed some Hog Heaven, a nice barleywine with a heavy, layered bitterness that is frankly delicious.  Avery is one of my favorites - their shelf stock is underwhelming, but the limited editions, seasonals and taproom offerings are some of the best (IMHO) in Colorado.

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I liked them better as single 12 oz bottles. Even the slightly larger 16.9 oz is a lot to drink of this very rich beer on my own now that I drink beer much less often. And you could get them in a four pack instead of the single bottles so it was easier to share with a friend. This is the first year that they were produced in this size.

I agree, seems like a 4 pack of 10 or 12 oz would be better. Very rich, but very good. 

11 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Very limited and a hard beer to get. 

This sells out like Pappy!!!

I didn't realize it was that hard to get.... I glad I was able to try it. 

Bourbon County Stout is not a great beer for a few reasons.  1, it's astringent and has some other off flavors.  2.  It's owned by InBev, after Goose Island sold out.  Which means it's not craft beer but crafty masquerading as craft beer.  In the beer world this is a big deal at the moment.  It also isn't rare, they reserve that for the limited variants.  Just don't buy into the hype.  A mass producer is buying up stock, in breweries and in material, ie: barrels, and is dumbing it down.

9 hours ago, Phischy said:

Bourbon County Stout is not a great beer for a few reasons.  1, it's astringent and has some other off flavors.  2.  It's owned by InBev, after Goose Island sold out.  Which means it's not craft beer but crafty masquerading as craft beer.  In the beer world this is a big deal at the moment.  It also isn't rare, they reserve that for the limited variants.  Just don't buy into the hype.  A mass producer is buying up stock, in breweries and in material, ie: barrels, and is dumbing it down.

I disagree on your comment that it isn't a great beer. It is...

11 hours ago, Phischy said:

It's like grandpa use to say, "if every man liked the same thing he would he would have to beat everyone off of grandma". 

Its the best Stout I've had. 

12 hours ago, Phischy said:

. . . .  2.  It's owned by InBev, after Goose Island sold out.  Which means it's not craft beer but crafty masquerading as craft beer. . . .

I disagree with this statement, profoundly.  Goose Island currently makes some fine stuff (Matilda, Sophie and others) and good beer is good beer no matter who owns a stock majority in the company.

The term "craft beer" carries about as much weight as "boutique bourbon".  For instance, this morning I can buy a six pack of Newcastle Brown Ale for $7.49 (.10 cents per ounce) or a four pack of Tallgrass Pub Ale for $9.99 (.15 cents per ounce).  Slapping the word craft on the label doesn't justify a 50% price increase and the Newcastle (owned by Heineken) tastes better.

But craft brewers are passionate and enthusiastic about their work, aren't they?

No, they're in it for the money.  A used car salesman is passionate  and enthusiastic but that doesn't mean the clunker he has for sale will reliably get me to work.

Edited by squire

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎54‎:‎46‎, Phischy said:

While InBev did buy Goose Island (It is actually now "AB InBev" after buying Anheuser-Busch. At least until and when the acquisition of SABMiller occurs which would make it a behemoth indeed) and many former GI products are now mass produced at various breweries around the country it is my understanding that BCBS is still made at the original brewery in Chicago by mostly the same people. In any case the proof is in the bottle and for me it has not changed significantly that I can tell when doing SBS comparisons going back several years. Still good stuff!

Edited by tanstaafl2

A Red Hare Long Day Lager out on the back deck listening to Duke and Yale on the radio. 

Little known fact is that I done turned down akademik skolerships to both of them skools just so I could go to Ball State University...

image.jpg

16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

A Red Hare Long Day Lager out on the back deck listening to Duke and Yale on the radio. 

Little known fact is that I done turned down akademik skolerships to both of them skools just so I could go to Ball State University...

image.jpg

I always knew you were a smart one.

Currently enjoying some Deschutes XPA Experimental Pale Ale.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying a Big Rock Bourbon Barreled Porter. It was a limited release sometime ago. Now it's in full swing. This is great stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.