What do you order at a bar?

bullitt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here's What a Guy's Drink Order Says About Him. From a female bartender's perspective. Bourbon and tequila drinkers make out pretty well. What do you think?

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-cocktails/news/a51343/what-his-drink-says-about-him/?utm_content=buffer7b83d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The last couple times I ordered from the bar I got MM46 & Duke. When I'm eating out Mexican I usually order a "fresh margarita" at the bar. Most Mexican restaurants worth their salt can make you one if you ask the bartender. I always give them my instructions about exactly what I want and ask them if they can make it. Sometimes they won't make it or will tell you they can't. One bartender told me he couldn't because they didn't have any fresh limes! Most Mexican restaurants serve margs made with cheap mixto tequila, a powder margarita mixer, and most of the time it's blended with 50% crushed ice. If you want a really good drink the next time you go out Mexican treat yourself to one of the best marg you can get. First look the bar over to see if they have a good selection of 100% agave tequila. If you can't see the bar or any tequila you will most likely have no luck getting this drink. A good tequila selection will be a good sign that they know tequila and margarita's. Tell the bartender you'd like to order a fresh margarita. Usually they will say yes hoping you accept what they want to give you. So whatever they say, start off by telling them you want a margarita "on the rocks" and with a half lightly salted rim. Then proceed to tell them you want it made with  2oz. of 100% agave tequila, (tell them which tequila you want it made with if you know by naming the brand and pointing to it on the shelf. It helps here if you know a little about tequila and whether or not you want it made with a blanco, reposado, or añejo tequila. Just be sure they know you want 100% de agave)  1oz. Cointreau or Grand Marnier, and 1oz. fresh squeezed lime, 1/2oz. agave nectar to add a bit of sweetness or simple syrup if they don't have the agave nectar and lastly add a splash of orange or lemon juice. Stay at the bar because most of the time they will tell you they'll have it brought to your table. Just decline and say you'll wait for it and watch that they actually give you what you ordered. There will be and upcharge for the drink but believe me it will be worth it! If you want it more tangy and sour (most people don't like it really tart) just leave off the nectar, simple syrup, or orange/lemon juice. You have to make them believe that you know your stuff and that you want what you want. A good Mexican restaurant will understand what you are asking for and why and will be glad to make this for you. A really great restaurant will already make all their margarita's this way or some fresh variation. You can also make these at home and experiment a bit to see how sweet or sour you like them. If you make the effort you will not be disappointed and your guests will love your Margarita's. 

Edited by bullitt

Depends on the bar/restaurant . . . and certainly don't give a darn what the order taker thinks of my order.

The bottom line is if you go to a wine bar and expect amazing bourbon, you're probably in the wrong place.  If you go to a high end bar/restaurant known for it's cocktails, they may not have every craft beer in the world.  If you go to a sports bar, don't be surprised if their high end bourbon is Jack Daniels . . . 

If you want a great cocktail, you're probably going to have to make it yourself.  If you want a great bottle of wine with a meal, find a good wine store and learn how to cook.  If you want to try the trendiest LE scotch or bourbon plan on getting your savings account out . . . 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't go out much any more and its never to a bar.

These days I tend to order something I've not tried before that I'm either curious about or interested in buying . . . bourbon or beer.

2 hours ago, petrel800 said:

If you want a great cocktail, you're probably going to have to make it yourself.  If you want a great bottle of wine with a meal, find a good wine store and learn how to cook.  If you want to try the trendiest LE scotch or bourbon plan on getting your savings account out . . . 

Bingo... 

I've become a bit of a steak snob because I can drop $20 at a butcher/store and cook something up myself that will destroy the offerings at all but the nicest steakhouses... and those steakhouses will involve a $100-150/head tab as a baseline. 

When heading out to a bar, I'd say 1 out of 10 bars I go to have a bourbon list that gets me excited, and those items generally will run me $20+ per pour (or much more). I'd wager everyone here has a collection at home that puts most bars to shame... and it gets really tough to get excited about dropping $10 on a pour of Makers Mark or even OWA107. For that reason I'll usually just drink a beer unless the bar staff are skilled... then a cocktail (OF/SAZ/etc). 

Oh Cosmo.  Another silly article from the silliest magazine.

My order depends on the venue.  I rarely order whiskey because most places lack the selection I have a home.  Those that bring it charge appropriately.  I might order a cocktail if the bar is decent.  I usually stick to beer when out.  

For me, it usually depends on the bar, what they have to offer, and the price. If the price is right, I'll order something different or decent. Case(s) in point, one place I've been to has had ORVW 10, and Lot B at decent prices. Another place I've been to had Stagg Jr at a fair price. (FWIW, that's what made me take notice, and got me hooked on Stagg Jr Batch #3. :huh:) On the other hand, if nothing like that is available, I'll usually go with something that I tend to call  "the usual suspects". MM, KC, etc…. :)

Cheers! Joe

The bars around me don't have very good bourbon selections compared to what I have at home, so I usually take the opportunity to try a craft beer or two.  It's kind of like Russian roulette, but with no chance of dying.

Edited by TheNovaMan
Added one more thought.

7 hours ago, -icon- said:

Bingo... 

I've become a bit of a steak snob because I can drop $20 at a butcher/store and cook something up myself that will destroy the offerings at all but the nicest steakhouses... and those steakhouses will involve a $100-150/head tab as a baseline. 

I agree about the steak.  Once I got my Anova for Sous Vide cooking its hard to expect perfection or even proper salting from a steak place.  Even before the Sous Vide I spoiled myself and my wife by learning and improving home steak technique

As for drinks when I'm out, I go to the good local cocktail places when I want a well made cocktail, the local whiskey bar when I want a pour of something I haven't bought yet or something special during their annual Whiskey Week and pretty much just beer anywhere else.

SEE Joe, supra.  I've noticed an uptick in the number of places that are carrying Booker's as well as KCSB and KCRye and basic KC.  That should be encouraged as it may lead to additional choices for us all.

Old bars/restaurants - I know what they usually have, and they usually know what I want.  New bars/restaurants - I ALWAYS walk by the bar on the way to the table to see what they have even if, like today, I'm out at lunch and likely to order a beer or a soda instead of bourbon -- you never can tell when something jumps out.  (Today it was ETL next to Col. Taylor Rye - I passed on both; I was driving.)

I usually order a Manhattan or some other whiskey cocktail if I'm out at a restaurant.  Very rarely will I order a bourbon neat unless they have a great selection.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎50‎:‎05‎, petrel800 said:

Depends on the bar/restaurant . . . and certainly don't give a darn what the order taker thinks of my order.

Mark pretty much nailed it for me. If I am going to a bar of my own choosing then it will typically be one that I think can make a decent and interesting cocktail. I rarely go to a bar intentionally unless it is for a cocktail and I tend to be more adventurous than most people when it comes to what cocktails I will try. In fact something off menu is my favorite thing to try. I have even been known to bring my own "exotic" mixers when the bar will allow it! After all I have more liqueurs, amaro's and the like at home than many bars do.

As for whisky of all flavors, I can typically find a better selection at home that is already paid for so other than rare exceptions I don't drink whiskey neat at a bar unless I am going for a specific tasting. Or tequila or rum or brandy or gin or anything else for that matter!

If I am at a bar for a reason other than my own choosing and I don't know the capability of the staff then a beer of some sort is usually the safest option.

And don't get me started on how to make a decent margarita and how hard that is to find!  :D

Than again I tend to prefer a "Margara" these days anyway.

Hah! I never noticed that it was a Cosmo article. What I found interesting, unless because it's Cosmo it's total bunk, was the female bartenders take on a bourbon drinker as opposed to the others. The article made me think about the difficulties I have whenever I'm dinning out Mexican and try to get a decent Margarita.

I usually try to order something I have never had before, whether it is wine, beer, cocktail, or whiskey.  According to Miss8ist, that has amounted to over 1000 entries into the database we have been keeping over the years (and that's just for the stuff we've actually remembered to enter in!).

Life's too short to keep drinking the same thing over and over again!  (at least when you go out!)

I've become a bit of a steak snob because I can drop $20 at a butcher/store and cook something up myself that will destroy the offerings at all but the nicest steakhouses

I do the same thing, but I'm stupid because every now and then I will try a steak hoping it will be worth it but am always disappointed whether it's $15 or $40. In the same vein, I don't expect much in terms of whiskey when I go out because my living room has a better selection than most bars. I usually land on WT101. 

Unsurprisingly, this article is silly. That being said, I order bourbon neat when I'm out and my place is clean because I like it that way, so maybe not entirely off the mark. Though, I suppose I'm going to have to try out some of this 'MacAllen' Ivy is talking about, sounds delicious. 

edit: Just read the rest of it and must say I have to agree with this: 

"People love Fireball ... less so now than like a year ago or two years ago." Maybe 2016 will be the year Fireball dies and takes those who love it above all else with it.

Edited by Chris m
added quote

The other night, I ordered Knob Creek, because the bar had KC props on the bar and KC ads posted on several walls. A few minutes later, the server came back and said, "We don't have that." I was very puzzled, pointed to one of the signs, and she said I could ask the bartender about it. The bartender said, "Of course we have it," and fixed my drink. I have no idea...

Tim

5 hours ago, ratcheer said:

The other night, I ordered Knob Creek, because the bar had KC props on the bar and KC ads posted on several walls. A few minutes later, the server came back and said, "We don't have that." I was very puzzled, pointed to one of the signs, and she said I could ask the bartender about it. The bartender said, "Of course we have it," and fixed my drink. I have no idea...

Tim

A pretty clear lesson there! If you want to be sure go straight to the source. Which is why I like to sit at the bar if I can and almost always at least visit the bar first before ordering so I can get my own feel of what's available unless I know the place and already know what I want.

Depends on the restaurant. I will try something new if it's on the list. Let's me know if I want to invest in a bottle of it.

Had a healthy pour of GTS the other night at a great price. The bar didn't have any BTAC on the list, but pulled a bottle out and opened it after I asked. It helped curve the desire to open the bottles of GTS in the bunker. That probably won't last long though, because it was real real good.

If they don't have a good selection then an ice cold beer will be just fine!

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016‎ ‎20‎:‎40‎:‎34, ken_mays said:

Usually just a beer because I can nurse it until I can get out of the bar.  

This +1.  If I'm in a pub, it's Guinness.  If I'm at a restaurant, well, usually a Manhattan depending what's on the shelf, Rittenhouse/or some other rye or Knob Creek or other that stands up neat.

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A pretty clear lesson there! If you want to be sure go straight to the source. Which is why I like to sit at the bar if I can and almost always at least visit the bar first before ordering so I can get my own feel of what's available unless I know the place and already know what I want.

This. Whenever going to someplace new, I always walk by the bar first to scope out the selection. Oftentimes I'll see something good that's not on the menu.

People who see my occasional "what bourbon are you drinking" updates might notice that most of my from-a-bar pours are at Symphony Hall in Boston.  I'm there probably six to twelve concerts per year.

I'd say about 70% of what they pour is white wine, and another 5% red.  There are so few whiskey drinkers that I think we surprise the bartenders, and I get all kinds of different glassware, and usually fairly generous pours.

I do get some wistful looks from older patrons, who have probably been forbidden alcohol, or are allowed only a single glass of wine or beer in a week.

When possible, I'll swing by the bar and try to take note of what's on the shelves before placing an order, which helps alleviate the "...Um, Jack Daniels?..." you often get when asking the waiter what bourbon/whiskey they have.

I'll often start with an Old Fashioned or Manhattan, then go from there, based on the bartender's success rate with that one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.