Jump to content

New Kirkland (Costco) Tennessee Whiskey


mosugoji64
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

Don't know if anyone saw this, but it looks like Costco is getting into the Tennessee Whiskey game with this one:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15224001000270

Anyone hear where this one might be coming from?

Also ran across this one and thought I'd post it here for your amusement:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15220001000041

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • PaulO

    11

  • mosugoji64

    9

  • kevinbrink

    5

  • ratcheer

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have to agree. That seems too likely a coincidence otherwise. Not many places have a lot of 7yo TN whiskey to sell I should think.

Did anyone else taste the vitamin flavor?  I was going to try it.  I'm just not a big fan of Dickel (except for their sourced MGP rye).

There was a bottle available for tasting last week in the gazebo in Bardstown. To me, vitamins were clearly present in the nose and taste; therefore, I thought it was Dickel. Not everyone agreed.

Posted Images

DonutsNBourbon

I was just at costco this past weekend and saw it there too, was wondering what was up with that

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2016‎ ‎3‎:‎11‎:‎29‎, mosugoji64 said:

Don't know if anyone saw this, but it looks like Costco is getting into the Tennessee Whiskey game with this one:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15224001000270

Anyone hear where this one might be coming from?

Also ran across this one and thought I'd post it here for your amusement:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15220001000041

Perhaps Collier and McKeel since they have, or at least had, a master distiller named Mike Williams? But they aren't that big as far as I know so I would be surprised if they could produce the volume needed. Unless it has something to do with their recent sale to a spirits company in California called North Coast Spirits.

They are located in Nashville I think. SKU seems to confirm they are the likely source.

Likely to be pretty young stuff I would guess. Approach with caution...

There are no distilleries in Columbia, TN that I know of. Tenn South Distillery is about 20 miles south in Lynnville but presumably also relatively new and small. They produce Clayton James Tennessee whiskey. Whether it is sourced or they are distilling it yet is another question.

 

Edited by tanstaafl2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Perhaps Collier and McKeel since they have, or at least had, a master distiller named Mike Williams? But they aren't that big as far as I know so I would be surprised if they could produce the volume needed. Unless it has something to do with their recent sale to a spirits company in California called North Coast Spirits.

They are located in Nashville I think. SKU seems to confirm they are the likely source.

Likely to be pretty young stuff I would guess. Approach with caution...

There are no distilleries in Columbia, TN that I know of. Tenn South Distillery is about 20 miles south in Lynnville but presumably also relatively new and small. They produce Clayton James Tennessee whiskey. Whether it is sourced or they are distilling it yet is another question.

 

Interesting. According to SKU's info, Collier and McKeel are distilling at Corsair. Seems like a roundabout way for Costco to source whiskey and, like you said, surprising that they can supply sufficient quantities. Very interesting, indeed.

Edited by mosugoji64
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about their current product, but the bottle of Collier McKeel I bought about 3 or 4 years ago was the worst whiskey I've ever had.   Overbearing notes of plywood with a distinctly fishy finish.  I hope they've learned a few things since then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think SKU's info may be outdated and Collier and McKeel now have their own distillery in Nashville. But I don't know all the details. And it still seems like a big obligation for a relatively new small distillery unless they are getting additional whiskey from other sources. 

In any case not one I would be rushing out to try!

Edited by tanstaafl2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaulO said:

80 proof mystery whiskey always raises a red flag with me.  :unsure:

At least the bourbon is 103 proof and still 7 years old. I will probably give that one a spin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been less than impressed with the Costco bourbon offerings in Indy over the past few years....Kirkland and occasionally Woodford, MM, MM46 and EC12.  Sometimes they are even out of Kirkland.  Great for wine, vodka and blended scotch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2016, 2:22:13, mosugoji64 said:

At least the bourbon is 103 proof and still 7 years old. I will probably give that one a spin.

the 7 YO George Dickel store Selects are 103 proof.  Maybe a coincidence but made me wonder if it's not coming out of Tullahoma....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2016, 3:11:29, mosugoji64 said:

Don't know if anyone saw this, but it looks like Costco is getting into the Tennessee Whiskey game with this one:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15224001000270

Anyone hear where this one might be coming from?

Also ran across this one and thought I'd post it here for your amusement:

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=15220001000041

Saw that Wondertucky and my mind immediately went to Pennsatucky on Orange is the new black....

Link to post
Share on other sites

My local Costco has the Kirkland Tennessee whiskey but, much to my dismay, is out of the Kirkland  bourbon that was sourced from Beam. I wonder if they will get the "Tennessee straight bourbon  in next?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The internetosphere is now assuming Costco is sourcing their bourbon from BT based on that Insider Louisville article.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2016, 2:22:13, mosugoji64 said:

At least the bourbon is 103 proof and still 7 years old. I will probably give that one a spin.

Me too, they're building a Costco in NE Greenwood.  I don't know if there will be a grand opening to invite everyone, or if I'll just have to tell them I don't need a membership to buy booze.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ken_mays said:

The internetosphere is now assuming Costco is sourcing their bourbon from BT based on that Insider Louisville article.

Someone please tell BT to send wheated, or mash bill #2 at 7 years and 103 proof to the Greenwood store.  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about the laws in IN, but in GA, the liquor store has to be a separate area not in the store and they cannot require a membership to buy in the liquor store.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Indiana, if a grocery or pharmacy sells alcohol, it is in it's own section, but still within the store.  Only a liquor store can sell cold beer.  Oddly, a liquor store can not sell cold soft drinks.  Because of this, many liquor stores have pop machines outside by the door.  Stores are not allowed to sell alcohol on Sundays or during elections.  A bar that serves food or a restaurant can serve alcohol on Sundays.  Micro breweries and wineries can also sell on Sunday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎50‎:‎56‎, GAbiker said:

the 7 YO George Dickel store Selects are 103 proof.  Maybe a coincidence but made me wonder if it's not coming out of Tullahoma....

Have to agree. That seems too likely a coincidence otherwise. Not many places have a lot of 7yo TN whiskey to sell I should think.

  • I like it 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

As I was fond of the Beam-sourced Kirkland bourbon, I was disappointed to see it replaced with this "Tennessess Straight Bourbon Whiskey," which also reflected a significatnt price jump from $21.99 to $29.99. If this new bourbon is Dickel sourced, wouldn't it be "Lincoln Process"? Those charcoal-filtered whiskeys aren't usually called bourbons, but i thnk they may be legally called bourbons if they fit all the other bourbon criteria. Perhpas a member more knowledgeable in this area can shed some light on the subject. If Dickel has some 7-y-o 103-proof charcoal-filtered stock to sell Costco, can Costco call it bourbon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, mosugoji64 said:

At least the bourbon is 103 proof and still 7 years old. I will probably give that one a spin.

Good luck with that one. We stopped at the Louisville Costco on Dec. 28 as we headed south. They were all out of the K bourbon since before Xmas. So we decided to check other Costcos as we traveled--9,300 miles and lots of Costcos. Found it in Tucson but nowhere else. Stopped in Louisville on the way home last month. Still no K bourbon and didn't expect to get any.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Tennessee whiskey qualifies as bourbon. It just depends on what they want to call it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, charcoal filtered whiskey can be labeled as bourbon. E.g., Virgin Bourbon, which I have seen for more than 40 years and I'm pretty sure is still on the shelves here, is boldly labeled as charcoal filtered. It is cheap stuff, but it is bourbon.

Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 4/7/2016 at 1:55 PM, Flyfish said:

Still no K bourbon and didn't expect to get any.

Last week my helpful Costco clerk checked for Kirkland Kentucky (Beam) Bourbon at other Illinois stores, found 5 bottles here,  4 bottles there, but all too far away to make the drive worth it. Anyone tried the Kirkland Tennessee Bourbon yet? At $30 a liter I have to pass when Knob Creek 750s sell for less.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, just when they were starting a store in Greenwood.  Sorry Dickel, not really in my wheelhouse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.