Port Dundas Single Grain Scotch????

GeeTen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We just got the 12yr and 18yr Port Dundas Single Grain Scotches in yesterday.  Anybody tried this stuff?  I've "heard" that it's very close to the Glenkinchie in style.  Much lighter and smoother than other single malts, tho'.

I know the story about Diago closing the distillery in 2010, in particular and that single grain scotches have been mostly used in the "blended" scotches (J&B among others), in general.

Just looking for some input from the "experienced" palates on SB.   :)

TIA for your replies,

F.

8-)

Edited by GeeTen

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

We just got the 12yr and 18yr Port Dundas Single Grain Scotches in yesterday.  Anybody tried this stuff?  I've "heard" that it's very close to the Glenkinchie in style.  Much lighter and smoother than other single malts, tho'.

I know the story about Diago closing the distillery in 2010, in particular and that single grain scotches have been mostly used in the "blended" scotches (J&B among others), in general.

Just looking for some input from the "experienced" palates on SB.   :)

TIA for your replies,

F.

8-)

Single grains are gaining in popularity after being regarded as a second or third class whiskey in the single malt dominated world which itself is relatively new as a creation of the scotch world to deal with their own glut period some years ago (rather like the "premium" single barrel bourbons that began appearing in the 80's). Now that single malt has become so popular they are running short, a bit like bourbon!). Most whisky in the past was blended whisky (and probably still is) but older grains are gaining in popularity  in thanks part to people like John Glaser of Compass Box. Older grains tend to reflect more barrel influence and are a bit more bourbon like (mostly corn but need more age due to used barrels and cooler aging environments. I generally like them but tend to look for 18 years and older. Used to be fairly inexpensive but now they are getting more popular and as a result more expensive. Many grain distilleries have been consolidated and enlarged resulting in the closure of other longstanding distilleries.

Haven't tried it, but I don't see how a single grain Scotch could bear even a slight resemblance to Glenkinchie, which itself is quite malty and rich for a Lowland malt.

On 1/30/2016, 5:43:18, Megawatt said:

Haven't tried it, but I don't see how a single grain Scotch could bear even a slight resemblance to Glenkinchie, which itself is quite malty and rich for a Lowland malt.

THAT'S what I thought when it was "mentioned" . . . . :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I REALLY liked the limited edition Port Dundas blend from a few years back (2011). Youngest in that blend was 20yrs old, and they blended three different cask finishes into one.

My hometown is Dundas, Ontario, so there was a bit of maudlin sentimentality involved. But it is exceptional, and I have a few of 'em stashed.

I'm tempted to try the 18s, but I clipped my own wings after an epic rum run last month, and probably won't be back in the game until April. If they last that long, I might give the 18 a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.