Canadian Rockies 21yr

SebastianLloyd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Originally only available in Taiwan this has now hit the shelves in Canada. They bumped the ABV to 46% which is nice to see. Flavour profile sounds interesting; vanilla, butterscotch, caramel, pepper, citrus and lilac are commonly used in a variety of reviews I've read. Seems to be very well-received too.

Anyone here tried it yet? I believe this is only available in Canada (the 46% bottle) but I know that people travel for rare bottles.

Update: Just read that this is a 100% corn whisky.

20151113_165930-551x1024.jpg

Edited by SebastianLloyd

12 hours ago, mark fleetwood said:

21 year old corn whiskey? Who's overseeing their barrel inventory? Diageo??

"The Fountana Group Canada is the brand owner, and it turns out the whisky was produced by Highwood Distillers..."

I read most of my information from blogs, so it could be incorrect. 

I found out a lot about it here: http://therumhowlerblog.com/whisky-reviews/canadian-whisky/canadian-rockies-21-year-old-batch-001/

Makes sense.  Highwood purchased the Potters stock, which included large quantities of very old corn whisky.  I'd expect this to be quite similar to the Ninety 20.

7 hours ago, SebastianLloyd said:

"The Fountana Group Canada is the brand owner, and it turns out the whisky was produced by Highwood Distillers..."

I read most of my information from blogs, so it could be incorrect. 

I found out a lot about it here: http://therumhowlerblog.com/whisky-reviews/canadian-whisky/canadian-rockies-21-year-old-batch-001/

Thanks, good read. 

So I've been sipping this bottle for a week so far and my first impressions are not so positive. This is a very light whisky, bottled at 46% but drinks like a 30% (I cant imagine this was originally at 40%). The nose is a mix of butterscotch, air freshener (like Febreze) and corn grain. The taste is of Werther's Original and other caramel like candies, very one-dimensional. The finish was very short, so short that I didn't even have much time to ponder it. When I added a few drops of water it opened up the nose more allowing the butterscotch smell dominate the grainy corn but the flavour becomes even more stunted and starts to taste like sugar water.

Personally this is too gentle for me, I need more oomph in my whisky, SPICE! OAK! And some tobacco dipped in brown sugar syrup then rolled in toasted pecans and peppercorns. I think I was expecting something bourbon-like with the description's I've read but what I got was alcoholic corn syrup. Those not big into whisky or want to ease into it during their beginning endeavors may enjoy this.

On 2/6/2016, 6:26:49, SebastianLloyd said:

So I've been sipping this bottle for a week so far and my first impressions are not so positive. This is a very light whisky, bottled at 46% but drinks like a 30% (I cant imagine this was originally at 40%). The nose is a mix of butterscotch, air freshener (like Febreze) and corn grain. The taste is of Werther's Original and other caramel like candies, very one-dimensional. The finish was very short, so short that I didn't even have much time to ponder it. When I added a few drops of water it opened up the nose more allowing the butterscotch smell dominate the grainy corn but the flavour becomes even more stunted and starts to taste like sugar water.

Personally this is too gentle for me, I need more oomph in my whisky, SPICE! OAK! And some tobacco dipped in brown sugar syrup then rolled in toasted pecans and peppercorns. I think I was expecting something bourbon-like with the description's I've read but what I got was alcoholic corn syrup. Those not big into whisky or want to ease into it during their beginning endeavors may enjoy this.

Thanks for the notes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.