Jump to content

Willet 7yr rye


This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

I saw a bottle of this on a shelf . Is it a good rye and is it worth 79.00?

 

Willet is usually standard MGP rye at 110 proof or perhaps barrel proof. Same source as Bulleit or Smooth Ambler but a little higher proof and a little older than Bulleit. Generally good whiskey but whether it is worth the cost is a personal decision. I prefer to buy SA if I can find it but SA reported they were running out and it does seem to be getting more scarce.

Edited by tanstaafl2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The MGP sourced rye has "distilled in Indiana" on the label.  I think in the past, Willet had some ryes from other sources in KY.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PaulO said:

The MGP sourced rye has "distilled in Indiana" on the label.  I think in the past, Willet had some ryes from other sources in KY.  

True but not in quite some time I don't think. Most everything is MGP now. Some of the really old ones might be from KY but the best of those, presuming they have any left at all, are likely long gone and/or cost hundred's of dollars. Or are so woody you can pick your teeth with them!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PaulO said:

The MGP sourced rye has "distilled in Indiana" on the label.  I think in the past, Willet had some ryes from other sources in KY.  

Willett does have some 3 year old rye 'out and about' now, which is their own distillate.  Matter of fact, I hadn't seen it until today.

Doesn't it seem like yesterday they were releasing this at 1 yr old? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Willett does have some 3 year old rye 'out and about' now, which is their own distillate.  Matter of fact, I hadn't seen it until today.

Doesn't it seem like yesterday they were releasing this at 1 yr old? 

Did they release it at 1yo? I only remember the 2yo release. I haven't seen the 3yo yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tanstaafl2 said:

Did they release it at 1yo? I only remember the 2yo release. I haven't seen the 3yo yet.

Bruce, I think they sold the 1 yr at the gift shop only (if I recall correctly)...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Bruce, I think they sold the 1 yr at the gift shop only (if I recall correctly)...

Ah! That could well be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2016, 9:06:42, BigPapa said:

I saw a bottle of this on a shelf . Is it a good rye and is it worth 79.00?

 

It is a good rye. It is not worth $79.00 in my opinion. I would happily pay $50-$60 for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 2/2/2016, 10:57:51, amg said:

It is a good rye. It is not worth $79.00 in my opinion. I would happily pay $50-$60 for it.

If you can find Redemption Rye barrel proof (@ $70 plus tax around here when not on sale), you get something very similar made by MGP.  The Redemption BP is the MGP 95% rye mash bill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot

Willetts are very "barrel by barrel".

I've stopped risking my cash on them at $10/yr, though, as I have had disappointments with the rye. I usually like 8yrs+ on a rye, but baby Saz and Ritt are exceptions to that.

I haven't had a Willett under 6 that was my thing.

I'd much prefer someone give me a taste beforehand so I could know if it was worth it. If it's not your thing, a bottle at barrel proof takes a while to get through!

Link to post
Share on other sites

These Willett ryes can be very polarizing.  I love them, some hate them.  They aren't cheap, but if you like them, they are hard to beat.   

They can tend to be VERY minty, but I think that is great.  Almost like a cask strength mint julep. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.