Barrel Strength Bulleit

Smithford
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Equally interesting is the fact that they list 50ml, 100ml, 200ml and 375ml on up to the 1.5L on the application.  Would be nice to buy a 100 to try instead of a whole bottle.  We'll see what happens.

So far despite Bulleit being most likely Four Roses whiskey (although who really knows with Diageo. Might be a good place to mix in some past its prime 17yo bourbon that didn't get "accidentally" mixed in with 4yo corn whiskey...) it seems like not having Jim Rutledge available to help put together a good blend (I presume he at least had a hand in everything at FR from Yellow Label on up) has left Bulleit as an average whiskey at best despite the source, at least for me. Not sure a barrel proof version of an average whiskey is going to be anything more than, well, average.

Proof of course will be in the tasting I suppose and I will likely give it a shot if the cost isn't absurd. And knowing myself I probably will try at least one even if it is... :unsure:

I can't recall where I read this.  Wasn't there something about 4 Roses ending their contract to supply Bulleit?  

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

I can't recall where I read this.  Wasn't there something about 4 Roses ending their contract to supply Bulleit?  

Yes.

This barrel strength is old enough to still be 4R distilled however, though it's always possible something else is mixed in.

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

Cowdery's blog I think had this a year or so ago.

Edited by dcbt
typo

I can't say I won't try this, but I've just lost interest in Bulleit bourbons, in general. 

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I can't say I won't try this, but I've just lost interest in Bulleit bourbons, in general. 

I'm with Joe on this.   I haven't a taste of any Bulleitt in a very long time that made me want another pour.    Of course anything at barrel proof, especially if it's un-filtered may make me change my mind.

I admit to liking their rye, but why buy their bourbon when 4R is available and usually cheaper? And in BP expressions to boot?

(I'd just as soon buy Dickel rye anyway, it's a couple bucks cheaper and tastes identical to me.  I guess it's good to have a fallback option if you find yourself killing time in some chain restaurant bar some day.  :P )

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes.

This barrel strength is old enough to still be 4R distilled however, though it's always possible something else is mixed in.

You never know with Diageo.  They could have another one of those accidents.  :lol:  

I had an opportunity to become reacquainted  with Bulleit Bourbon in an airport business lounge of all places. I had forgotten how much I like it. I will be trying this if the price is $50 or less.

2 hours ago, weller_tex said:

I had an opportunity to become reacquainted  with Bulleit Bourbon in an airport business lounge of all places. I had forgotten how much I like it. I will be trying this if the price is $50 or less.

$50?  I'll take the over!!!

With Bulleit 10 at $50, I can only imagine where the barrel proof will be priced.

Just a guess, but I am thinking this will match Stagg Jr pricing.  $55-70 depending on the store and location in the country.

On 2/10/2016, 10:39:44, ken_mays said:

I admit to liking their rye, but why buy their bourbon when 4R is available and usually cheaper? And in BP expressions to boot?

Makes perfect sense to me.  If I'm going to invest in a FR at barrel proof, I'll go with an original bottling rather than gamble that a Diageo product might, or might not, contain 4R.  Sure, the distillate may be old enough to be 4R, but in reality, we'll never know because Diageo has a history of not being transparent with their bourbons and I doubt they'll give a straight answer. 

Just reread this thread.  I  will pass until some good number of you all tell me it is worth a purchase.  Unless my wife, a lover of "Orange Bulleit" cocktails, tells me otherwise.

OB = 1.5 B, 0.5 blood orange liqueur (like Solerno), walnut bitters - rocks or up.

If she tells me to "GO GET MORE BULLEIT!", the BP will work as well as the basic.  Won't it? ;)

Math:

Non age stated+Diageo+already have proper 4R private selections = I don't trust it/don't need to know

No spendy.

• 4 months later...

Bought a bottle of this some time back but hadn't opened it sacrilege, I know... But I corrected that tonight. At first I was unsure but while slowly working through the first couple of ounces it's got a very good flavor and the finish is long and smooth. Just enough sweetness to balance out the proof and oak.

In my opinion a good solid barrel proof pour. I don't recall what I paid for it but if I run across it again I'll definitely consider adding a backup bottle.

I wasn't impressed with the normal Bulleit and was a bit hesitant on this one but pleased all the same

I grabbed a bottle at Keystone Liquors when I was in Bardstown a couple weeks ago for 49.99.  It's not yet available in my home state of SC so I made sure to bring one home, along with JW Dant, JTS Brown, and Old Fitzgerald.

I have yet to open it but will try to remember to post here when I do.  Have too many open right now!

I tried this at the Bourbon Affair and liked it. They had it for $57 at the gift shop so I bought two of them.

I have never cared to much for the orange label.  I don't dislike it but I find there are better choices for my taste for the money.  A friend offered to sell me the new Bulliet BP so I bought it.  It is an easy sipper, not super complex, but is a well rounded bourbon that goes perfect over ice IMHO. For a BP proof it is very smooth with little heat.

Lots of things I like better than Bulleit (and I don't care for the B10 at all), but i got to sample this a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was pretty darn good.

I'll pick up a bottle once it is available here, assuming the price is decent.

• 8 months later...

I find it to be quite delicious. KY only. Enjoyed lots of ripe banana and deep vanilla flavor as it opened up. 

How did they not call this "Bulleit Proof"??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.