The "Premium" Version of the SB.Com Blend

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm staring at a bottle each of ORVW 10 yr and Lot B 12 yr, and thinking seriously of combining the two for a "premium" version of the sb.com blend.  Wondering if anyone has tried this before, and if so, how were the results?  I love the regular sb.com blend, and the thought of blending these two bottles is very tempting.

Why not just do a couple ounces of both in a small container and let them mingle for a few days and see?  I don't think I'd dump a half a bottle each of both on a whim.

That said, I'm not an SB blend guy, think its a waste of W12, but to each his own.

Steve, I really think that the ORVW 10 year has been stellar the last couple of years, while the Lot B's have been rather meh to my tastes over the same period.  So, I would not be as prone to trying that mingle in fear of not getting something that is as good as the 10 by itself.  But, if I were to take a stab at it, I would heavily weight the blend towards the 10, and only look for the 12 to add a bit of dryness.  Say, 5:1 10 to Lot B.  My preferred ratio on the SB Blend is much closer, and more along the lines of a 60:40, OWA:W12.

Or you could try W12 and ORVW.  I may have to do that, but my 2015 ORVW is great on its own, as is the W12.  I'd stick with blending a small batch, and see if you like it!

If I had multiples of Lot B and ORVW, I'd likely do this blend too.

Or you could do a OWA/Lot B blend. That way you are closer to the standard SB blend, don't put any lovely ORVW 10/107 at risk and perhaps salvage some value from the typically (for me at least) lackluster Lot B. I don't know why but I think even a basic W12 is about as good if not better than most Lot B's I have tried.

I would highly recommend starting with a small sample before you start mixing full bottles.

I have a vatting that started as ORVW and Lot B. I found the Lot B very lackluster on its own, but I think the vatting was better that either of them individually. I have since added a little PVW15 and WLW, and it is pretty darn good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.