Is Macallan Cask Strength 'worth' $240

Birdie1212
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know this has been discontinued but there is a store near me with a number on the shelf for $240 each (probably why they are on the shelf), I remember this as being a really great pour and now its gone these could be the last I see......should I grab one. My family back in the UK, who loved this release from Macallan, say I would be nuts not to. My brother just saw one in a London store for $500+.

I don't think so.  I've been drinking the Mac CS for quite a while, and I have plenty in reserve, but when it's gone, it's gone.  There are better places to spend your money on what was a $60 bottle 2 or 3 years ago.

11 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I don't think so.  I've been drinking the Mac CS for quite a while, and I have plenty in reserve, but when it's gone, it's gone.  There are better places to spend your money on what was a $60 bottle 2 or 3 years ago.

As collectible as (old, age stated) Macallan is, the cask strength is not worth $120, let alone $240

Thanks all, makes sense, much better options out there for the money like Glenfarclas 105 for example, just not seen the Macallan in forever and I travel all over the US on business.

I have the feeling we'll see this again for $60 as a new release within the next 10yrs.

I think I've got a few of these in reserve myself. They're good, but I don't think I'd pay more than the $60 I did.

We are in a time now where the best strategy is to tie yourself to the mast and try to stick to affordable readily available pours until this mania blows over, no matter how long it takes.

17 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I have the feeling we'll see this again for $60 as a new release within the next 10yrs.

I think I've got a few of these in reserve myself. They're good, but I don't think I'd pay more than the $60 I did.

We are in a time now where the best strategy is to tie yourself to the mast and try to stick to affordable readily available pours until this mania blows over, no matter how long it takes.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this again, but I don't think it will be near $60.  The regular 12 year is almost $70 in VA.

I believe prices will come back down when the historic levels of aging whisky/ey come of age and flip the demand/supply situation we're in right now.

Edited by The Black Tot

24 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I believe prices will come back down when the historic levels of aging whisky/ey come of age and flip the demand/supply situation we're in right now.

Paul, you could be right! Or you could have been out at sea too long and started seeing those dugongs turn into mermaids... :D

I suppose it could come back at the inflationary equivalent of what $60 was in 10 years but I am not sure that it will occur that quickly. Especially with outfits like Macallan that have tried to position themselves as "the best of the best" and will likely try hard to maintain that facade as long as possible.

Only way to know for sure is to wait ten years and see! If I make it that long...

After a few weeks Bruce the dugongs don't even need to turn into mermaids, really...

Of course no one can predict the future. But I look at the big oil cos right now and have to think that the situation is not too far different (ie the whiskey makers are in their boom phase that oil was in 8yrs ago, and are setting up the conditions for the glut that oil now is going through. Funny that, from exploration to production is almost the same 5-7yrish lag that producing something like an OWA is :) ). I think Diageo has grown used to these higher margins, and may actually NEED them now.

When (I don't think it's an if, nothing stays on top forever) we hit a whisky glut, as has happened before, I think Diageo will be disproportionately punished the way they are disproportionately gaining in the present market.

It's true that Macallan is now a household name, so you're right, who knows? Maybe the independent bottlers will take the new make they're buying from Macallan today and give us the cask strength bottles we want for a $60 equivalent, just in a different bottle.

No matter what happens though, there's going to be lots of 12yr cask strength malt to drink in 2026!

I think there's plenty of more reasonable alternatives in the cask strength & sherried space: GlenDronach Cask Strength, Glenfarclas 105, and Aberlour A'bunadh should scratch that itch just as well as the Macallan. I did, however, grab a couple extra when it started going the way of the buffalo...

I've paid up to $90 with no regrets (this was after it was canned, but unfortunately when I was first discovering it), but agree with the group - easy pass at those prices.  

$90 was about the most I've paid, but most came in the $55-70 range.  These have been gone for awhile now and I don't really know what the secondary market says about it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.