Booker Noe still alive?

Josh
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today I saw an interesting conversation on Twitter involving Sku and the new Booker's barrel proof rye set to be released sometime in the future. Sku posted a link to the label on the TTB website. It's here: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=16034001000224 and it contains something of a bombshell. The back label reads: 

Dad always liked the challenge of rye grains. He created a rye whiskey and laid these barrels down in his favorite rackhouse...

How's that a bombshell? you may well ask. Well, if you look at the neck band below it, it says that the whiskey is seven years old. Problem is, Booker Noe died eleven years ago, or so Beam Suntory would have us believe! Could Booker still be alive?

Uploaded Images

• Sku first put 2 + 2 together.
  •  
Screenshot_2016-02-25-20-13-31.thumb.png

The reaction was swift across the bourbon enthusiast community on Twitter.

Screenshot_2016-02-25-20-29-47.thumb.png

As Keith said above, what IS Beam not telling us?

Edited by Josh

You think they put it in tuns @ 7+ years like Saz 18 was put in tuns?  Easier than faking a death.

Well... back in his younger days Freddie always liked to run with the band, so my best guess is that Booker, Michael Jackson and Elvis are on a large party boat somewhere, on extended tour! 

Party on!  :D

My assumption(s) would be that the juice was vatted in stainless whenever the folx doing the tasting thought it had the best mark.    ...Or, it contains some amount of 7-year old along with older juice of indeterminate age. 

We may never know, since much, if not all of the info arising from any/all distilleries is to be trusted as mainly or entirely BullShit, no?

21 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You think they put it in tuns @ 7+ years like Saz 18 was put in tuns?  Easier than faking a death.

You say that like you've done it before.

20 hours ago, Paddy said:

Well... back in his younger days Freddie always liked to run with the band, so my best guess is that Booker, Michael Jackson and Elvis are on a large party boat somewhere, on extended tour! 

Party on!  :D

Did he ever associate with Tupac?

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

My assumption(s) would be that the juice was vatted in stainless whenever the folx doing the tasting thought it had the best mark.    ...Or, it contains some amount of 7-year old along with older juice of indeterminate age. 

We may never know, since much, if not all of the info arising from any/all distilleries is to be trusted as mainly or entirely BullShit, no?

2 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Or it is 12yo rye, and they will put the real age on there when it hits the shelves.

Sure, sure all very likely explanations. Too likely, if you asked me.

Can anybody prove that his death wasn't faked?

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Sure, sure all very likely explanations. Too likely, if you asked me.

Can anybody prove that his death wasn't faked?

Easy enough. All it takes is a shovel (perhaps a back hoe would help!) and some DNA testing equipment. And maybe a clothespin and some vicks vapor rub because he sure ain't gonna smell very good...

9 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Easy enough. All it takes is a shovel (perhaps a back hoe would help!) and some DNA testing equipment. And maybe a clothespin and some vicks vapor rub because he sure ain't gonna smell very good...

Excellent idea! That's the only way to get to the bottom of it. I won't be at the Spring Sampler, but we may be at the Festival in September. I'll start pricing diggers.

The labels submitted for TTB approval aren't necessarily accurate with respect to either age or proof.  Heard from a rep (yeah, I know, take it with a grain of salt) that it would be a 14 year rye.  If so, I'd be very interested in trying this.

30 minutes ago, Tony Santana said:

The labels submitted for TTB approval aren't necessarily accurate with respect to either age or proof.  Heard from a rep (yeah, I know, take it with a grain of salt) that it would be a 14 year rye.  If so, I'd be very interested in trying this.

I'm very interested regardless of age. I'm a little worried what it will cost though...

1 hour ago, Tony Santana said:

Some astute people have pointed out that the age and proof on the TTB submitted label are the same for every version of Booker's labels that get submitted. It's a placeholder. Fred Noe himself has referenced the 13-14 yr age range. As for cost, think Booker's 25th cost if not a little more.

22 hours ago, flahute said:

Fred Noe himself has referenced the 13-14 yr age range.

And the cover up begins! From Fred on down to Tony's rep!

Edited by Josh

The Booker's table at WhiskyFest Washington DC last night said the next release of Booker's will be in April and called "Bluegrass".  It wil be a regular sized release (whatever that is) unlike the late 2015 release "No Secret" with the green label instead of a tan label which was smaller than usual.  I posted my comments on their remarks on the upcoming Booker's Rye on the "Booker's Rye" thread.

Looked for Fred; didn't see him.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
added the last line after rereading Josh's latest.

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The Booker's table at WhiskyFest Washington DC last night said the next release of Booker's will be in April and called "Bluegrass".  It wil be a regular sized release (whatever that is) unlike the late 2015 release "No Secret" with the green label instead of a tan label which was smaller than usual.  I posted my comments on their remarks on the upcoming Booker's Rye on the "Booker's Rye" thread.

Any chance you asked or heard anything about the Knob Creek 2001 (like is it really 15 years old)?

35 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Any chance you asked or heard anything about the Knob Creek 2001 (like is it really 15 years old)?

I totally forgot to ask.  That question was even written on my crib cards.  I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I totally forgot to ask.  That question was even written on my crib cards.  I'm sorry.

No problem.  Thanks for sharing all the useful info.  Sounds like it was a great time.  Maybe I'll try to make it next year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016, 1:32:52, Harry in WashDC said:

Booker's Bluegrass has been released about a month ago from what I've seen. It's all over Colorado. Am I missing something?

18 hours ago, IanShafer said:

Booker's Bluegrass has been released about a month ago from what I've seen. It's all over Colorado. Am I missing something?

Nope.  I already bought a bottle, too, but was embarrassed to admit it.  This just goes to show that factual info is hard to come by even from unimpeachable industry sources.

OR

Maybe "they" were drinking more than I was and thought I was asking about the LE rye even though I was holding a Booker's "No Secret" and was asking about the next release.  If the LE rye comes out in April, then I'll take the blame for misunderstanding what "they" said.

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Nope.  I already bought a bottle, too, but was embarrassed to admit it.  This just goes to show that factual info is hard to come by even from unimpeachable industry sources.

OR

Maybe "they" were drinking more than I was and thought I was asking about the LE rye even though I was holding a Booker's "No Secret" and was asking about the next release.  If the LE rye comes out in April, then I'll take the blame for misunderstanding what "they" said.

Haha. What's to be embarrassed of? I heard it was a good release. I was about to get a bottle for myself. I haven't had a bookers I didn't like. 

I think you're  making a mountain out of a mole hill and I believe this conversation is disrespectful to the Noe family. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Paul.

BUT, in a sense he lives on in his namesake bourbon.  As was posted by someone else above, I've never had a Booker's bourbon I didn't like.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.