Wild Turkey-Whiskey Baron Collection

VAGentleman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was at a tasting with Eddie Russell last night and got to ask him about these new releases coming out (http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2016/02/new-whiskey-labels-lagavulin-woodford.html).  He said they've been tasting some old brands made at the distillery and decided to do some limited runs and try to get them close to the taste of them.  They will all be the same mash bill as WT and RR, they will just be looking for different profiles for each.  The old Ripy will be non chill filtered and big and bold while the Bond and Lillard will be softer and charcoal filtered.  These will be in 375 bottles and are mostly for the gift shop but some will be sent out for retail.  He said he thought they were being done in small runs of around 500 cases each.  There will most likely be a few more down the road 

Hmmmmmmm, Sounds interesting.... & tasty, at least in the case of the 'Ripy'.     I'll have to be sure to stop at The Turkey during the Sampler.

I'd be more interested in Wild Turkey going back to the taste profile it had in the 90s. Why not release a limited run of specially selected age stated turkey?

22 hours ago, jsrudd said:

I'd be more interested in Wild Turkey going back to the taste profile it had in the 90s. Why not release a limited run of specially selected age stated turkey?

I think that's what the Russell's Reserves already are, jsrudd.

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

......Or, at least as close as they can get in mass-market Bourbon, given the differences in production, and maybe even wood, from those to these.    I think Rare Breed, and RR are the closest, though way above the price, of those days.

15 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I thought that Russell's Reserve was going for a different, more elegant, taste profile. Is that wrong?

In Japan (where I am), both Russell's Reserve and age stated WT are both available, but the age-stated WT is not really any good unless you find older bottles. 

On 3/6/2016, 5:30:25, jsrudd said:

I'd be more interested in Wild Turkey going back to the taste profile it had in the 90s. . . . .

I'd be more interested in the profile they had back in the 60s.  I would also like the Easter Bunny deliver me a negotiable check well into six figures.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:32 AM, squire said:

I'd be more interested in the profile they had back in the 60s.  I would also like the Easter Bunny deliver me a negotiable check well into six figures.

Maybe come July might find a basket you missed under some bushes.  Or maybe that easter egg that wasn't found.  Sure, explore the basket, but whoa, maybe back quickly away from a months old easter egg. 

• 9 months later...

I guess it's time. Old Ripy has an MSRP of $49.99 for a 375ml bottle.  Same with Bond and Lilliard.  Since these are supposed to mimic pre-prohibition Bourbon they are coming in non standardized bottle size as was often how bourbon was bottled back than. 

I thought pre-prohibition bottles were 32oz. quarts or 16oz. pints?  Maybe a stoneware jug of several gallons. :blink: No metric stuff.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, PaulO said:

I thought pre-prohibition bottles were 32oz. quarts or 16oz. pints?  Maybe a stoneware jug of several gallons. :blink: No metric stuff.

The whole "mimicking of pre-prohibition bottles" thing seemed about as hokey as the notion that these really are similar to pre-prohibition whiskey. Not that most of us, including me, could really tell one way or the other.

Nothing about this release motivates me in any way to buy a bottle. Of course if it is free I will still try it if offered... B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.