Trip planned/booked

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Check out my planned itinerary below. feel free to point out any flaws in the plan, or places I may be cutting myself short for time:

We will be driving up from Texas the Saturday before Labor Day, spending Saturday and Sunday in Nashville, before heading on the the Sister-in-law's place in Knoxville on Monday.

Tuesday morning we drive into Bardstown-

Heaven Hill - 1:30 PM

Willett - 4:00 PM

Colonel Nelson Inn for the night. 

Wednesday -

Bulleit @ Stitzel-Weller - 10 AM

Jim Beam - 1 PM

Maker's Mark - 3:30

(Plan to try and squeeze in Westport Wine & Whiskey as time permits Tuesday night or Wednesday morning).

Wednesday night, we will move to the Beaumont Inn

Thursday-

Wild Turkey - 9 AM

Four Roses Distillery - 12 PM

Buffalo Trace - around 3-4 PM

Buffalo Trace Ghost Tour - 7 PM

Friday-

Four Roses Warehouse & Bottling - 10 AM

Then we hit the road back to Knoxville

Saturday-

Long haul back to Texas

Uhhhh, unless the venerable GENERAL Nelson has been demoted ... That's General Nelson Inn in B'Town.   HA!

OOOOOOH, the BT Ghost tour sounds like great fun.   Always wanted to do that one, never seemed to have the time.    Let us (me at least) know how you like it, please.

One note about your scheduling.....

Jim Beam at 1:00 followed by Maker's at 3:30 could be doable; but a bit tight.    Might not leave a great deal of time to shop and relax at JB.     The drive to MM isn't a quick one.     Plan accordingly.

That was my biggest concern too Rich. I'm hoping we can do a bit of shopping/hanging at JB before out tour time. That was really the only way I could fit Bulleit@SW in though.

And my apologies to the General, I stand corrected. My brain was fried after working out all the logistics. (And I still have to figure out where to stay/what to do in Nashville).

I would cut Bulleit and replace it with Cox's Creek 4R aging facility, which is right down the road from Jim Beam and therefore a much more comfortable transition. Plus, when you tour Cox's Creek, you'll get money off your ticket visiting the distillery the next day.

CC is different from the distillery, and any bourbon geek will want to see them rack houses and the dumping area/picking room. 

Also, what recipes the CC gift shop doesn't have, you get a second crack at the next day at the distillery gift shop. The distillery is beautiful, but you'll roll your eyes at the marriage proposal story :rolleyes:, which is pretty much purely for significant others :)

I haven't made it to Bulleit/SW or MM yet, because they're really not close to anything else.

Westport is also pretty far into town, away from all the other action. Great place though.

Paul, I do have Cox's Creek on the schedule for Friday, our last day there. Maybe I should look into re-arranging a bit.

My Brother-in-law is a big Bulleit fan , and I wanted to be able to say I'd seen SW, so I do want to keep it on the schedule if possible though. And Westport is only about 15 miles from it.

Anyone stayed at The Beaumont Inn? It isn't super-close to anything, but looks like it's got a pretty good bar, despite their love of Kentucky Owl...

Based on Paul's suggestion (and my obvious error in the location of 4Roses Warehouse in relation to everything else), we've revised our plan a bit:

Tuesday-

Maker's Mark around 11 AM (as soon as we hit town)

18 miles drive to-

Heaven Hill at 1:30

1 mile drive to-

Willett at 4 PM

3 mile drive to General Nelson Inn

Wednesday-

12 mile drive to-

4 Roses Warehouse & Bottling at 9 AM

5 mile drive to-

Jim Beam at 12 PM

28 mile drive to-

Bulleit @ Stitzel-Weller at 3 PM

17 mile drive to-

Westport Whiskey & Wine

68 mile drive to-

Beaumont Inn

Thursday-

23 mile drive to-

Wild Turkey at 9 AM

8 mile drive to-

4 Roses Distillery at 12 PM

21 mile drive to-

Buffalo Trace at 3 PM, Ghost Tour at 7 PM 

36 miles back to Beaumont Inn

This plan lessens the distance traveled and also gives a little more breathing room on day two.

It's a little longer trek from Bulleit to the Beaumont on Wednesday, but Westport falls in between.

This also leaves Friday completely open for anything we may want to add, or those "I shoulda' bought..." runs back to anywhere.

This sounds like a solid, well-thought-out itinerary.   You'll do great!   I hope you have great weather, and an all-around good time.   I'd almost bet on it, in fact.

I haven't been inside the Beaumont in years!  I think you made a great choice, as you will get a true 'old' Kentucky experience there!    

Thanks for the input. now if anyone has any suggestions about Nashville...

I don't know where you're staying, but if downtown, I'd definitely recommend a lunch, early dinner or bar pour (or three) drop in at The Southern. 

We don't have a hotel picked out in Nashville yet. Looked at the Hutton and Indigo, as well as the Gaylord, but not sure we want to spend the $$$.

Found Moonshine Hill, which is 30 minutes away, and looks amazing, but it's booked almost solid for the whole year, and every day in September.

If you like your architecture, Nashville has a bitchin' state capital building.

Also, if you like a bit o' that country music, everyone has to tour the Ryman Auditorium (formerly Grand Ole Opry) at least once in their lives. I'm still trying to see a concert there, but scalpers keep gobbling up my tickets in the first few seconds. Kind of like limited edition bourbons!

I think you're a little tight between MM and HH. I've never done the drive out to MM, but isn't it pretty low speed limit all the way? People talk about giving it a lot of time to get out there, I don't think it's 18mi at 60 on straight roads. If MM opens at 10am, I'd shoot to be there for then. It depends how long the tour takes. I'd think could be an hour?, and then some gift shop action? Maybe 11 is OK, but if you're there a bit earlier, you can get back to Bardstown, a stone's throw from HH, and have a leisurely lunch, which will stand you in good stead for the afternoon of tastings ahead :)

Edited by The Black Tot

MM has no set time for the tour, it's just the next one available when you arrive. We'll shoot to get there earlier, but we are driving in from Nashville that morning, so we will have to get an early start

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

If you like your architecture, Nashville has a bitchin' state capital building.

Also, if you like a bit o' that country music, everyone has to tour the Ryman Auditorium (formerly Grand Ole Opry) at least once in their lives. I'm still trying to see a concert there, but scalpers keep gobbling up my tickets in the first few seconds. Kind of like limited edition bourbons!

I think you're a little tight between MM and HH. I've never done the drive out to MM, but isn't it pretty low speed limit all the way? People talk about giving it a lot of time to get out there, I don't think it's 18mi at 60 on straight roads. If MM opens at 10am, I'd shoot to be there for then. It depends how long the tour takes. I'd think could be an hour?, and then some gift shop action? Maybe 11 is OK, but if you're there a bit earlier, you can get back to Bardstown, a stone's throw from HH, and have a leisurely lunch, which will stand you in good stead for the afternoon of tastings ahead :)

Paul is right, there is no straight or fast way to get there. Must be awful to drive to in a big semi truck and if you get stuck behind one on those curvy little two lane country roads you are going whatever speed they want to go! And it must be a nightmare in bad weather. Unless you just get lucky plan for extra time for that drive.

I figure worst-case scenario, if we don't get in early enough, we can skip Maker's Mark, and maybe hit it Friday morning.

Thanks Kelly. This trip plan inspired me to do and book my sampler plan.

A contract could still appear suddenly and ruin it, but there it is.

This is great, you can work out the kinks for me and then I hijack your plan a month after you go. :)

3 hours ago, kjbeggs said:

I figure worst-case scenario, if we don't get in early enough, we can skip Maker's Mark, and maybe hit it Friday morning.

Always good to have a back up.  But, be sure to NOT miss Maker's. It's beautiful , well done, good tasting, beautiful, lots of new things to see with the new still in (provided it's on the new tour), has a great gift shop (if you're into that), and lastly it's beautiful. :D  For your other options on that day , HH is a very nice gift shop, with some nice displays and tasting avail, but you can whack it out in an hour.  And, Willett is rather pedestrian at this juncture in their evolution.  

Don't miss Maker's....

I'm glad you highlighted this, Joe, because I'm going to Maker's for the first time this sampler.

I'm combining it with an Independent Stave tour, which is just down the road once you've made it to Loretto. Never been there, either.

We will definitely get to Maker's, just may have to move it to Friday, depending on how long the drive from Knoxville takes.

I'd love to hit Independent Stave too, so that might be a good Friday combo.

On 3/4/2016, 1:15:15, smokinjoe said:

Always good to have a back up.  But, be sure to NOT miss Maker's. It's beautiful , well done, good tasting, beautiful, lots of new things to see with the new still in (provided it's on the new tour), has a great gift shop (if you're into that), and lastly it's beautiful. :D  For your other options on that day , HH is a very nice gift shop, with some nice displays and tasting avail, but you can whack it out in an hour.  And, Willett is rather pedestrian at this juncture in their evolution.  

Don't miss Maker's....

Based on Joe's ringing endorsement, I've officially moved Maker's Mark to Friday, so we will have at least a couple of hours to spend there before catching the 1:00 PM Tour at Independent Stave.

Thanks to all for their tips/suggestions.

If you're going to cut out MM on Tuesday you could add in Barton's it's right in Bardstown.

On 3/4/2016, 11:51:27, dcbt said:

This is great, you can work out the kinks for me and then I hijack your plan a month after you go. :)

I'll send you my spreadsheet with all the distances/locations, etc.

On 3/9/2016, 8:18:29, kjbeggs said:

I'll send you my spreadsheet with all the distances/locations, etc.

Right on, thanks.

On March 7, 2016 at 6:05:01 PM, kjbeggs said:

Based on Joe's ringing endorsement, I've officially moved Maker's Mark to Friday, so we will have at least a couple of hours to spend there before catching the 1:00 PM Tour at Independent Stave.

Thanks to all for their tips/suggestions.

Tours, are tours, for the most part.  Each distillery goes through the basics, tries to dumb it down to reach the broadest audience, and each sprinkles in a little of their own folklore.  Info and facts at the level we enthusiasts work at are tough to come by.  But , that's cool if you just go with the flow.  For me,  Maker's just does that exceedingly well.

I'm 54, and have been through "It's a Small World" at Disney more times than I like to admit with my family.  But, every time I exit the boat, I'm happy and smiling, and it's like that too, every time I leave the Maker's tour.  The content is basic for both, but both do that really, really, well.  

And like Disney, Maker's is beautiful...In case, you haven't heard...:D:D:D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.