What I learned from quitting drinking for a month

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

24 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I wish.  THEN, I'd peruse the duty free shop every time I made a foray into Maryland and Virginia to purchase "domestic" products.

So basically it's the third world devoid of even those little benefits!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 3:58 PM, bullitt said:

I'm on the plan as of Wednesday, just to see whatever benefits may be revealed. I'd like to see less bloated feeling, a reduction in my waistline, less indigestion, better sleep. Let's see how it goes. If I achieve all my goals there's always tequila.

Okay so here I will post what I found out by quitting the bottle for a little over a month. I did feel initial desire to drink at first especially when I wasn't feeling any better. When I drank I was getting heart burn symptoms and indigestion. A burn associated with before, during, and after sipping bourbon. I changed my diet. Ate more frequently throughout the day. I drank more water. I exercised. Nothing was decreasing in tight waistline or solving my burn issues. I decided to lay off until I figured it out ad began to feel improvement. Last Monday I went to a new Dr. He simply said try any one of the new over the counter acid relief pills. You take one per day in the morning. Within 24 hours I was feeling better. No more burning. No burning in my throat when I laid down to go to bed. So here I am three days into my Prevacid  treatment plan and I am feeling good enough to do some sipping. What a difference it has made in being able to enjoy my bourbon! To me it actually tastes better. I started out with a no sissy in Wild Turkey 101. All good. Have moved to Russell Reserve 10y, all good. I am very relieved and hope I've figured this out. Sleep is still hit and miss  but I'm attributing it to getting older. I still have to work on the fat loss and get more lean. My goal is something like 20% body fat, the gut will go some at that. Gym membership is on the horizon. Things are going very smoothly.

Good for you, Bullitt.  Best news in there (speaking as an old faht) is that you checked with a doctor.  One never knows at our age.  Heck, one never knows at ANY age.

I haven't stopped for a month and don't intend to but I haven't had a drink in 8 days or more and can't say I've missed it, of course I've been occupied with being sick from pneumonia to take my mind off of it but not a big deal.  Never really thought it would be as I've never been one to become addicted to anything including cigarettes although I smoked for several years.  What I've noticed however is that I've lost around 10 pounds but chalk up the majority of that to the pneumonia.  

Pneumonia is a real drag.  I hope you start feeling better soon!

I just got over some pneumonia too about 6 weeks ago. I still don't feel completely normal. The weight I lost came right back once I felt better. It was all water and dehydration for me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Went to see my Orthopedic Dr the other day. 

I was told that I need full knee replacement s in both knees.?

thats tough on its own to cope, but he also told me that I need to lose 30 pounds by December 6 I order for him to do the surgery. He will not do surgery on anyone over 39 BMI. 

He is the best knee surgeon in my area and I will have him do it. 

Tough thing  will be giving up the bourbon/Scotch for 90 days. I may have one or two during this time but this will help tremendously by not having a any. 

Any my suggestions to help me through the 90 days ?

30 pounds!!! 

I can do it!!!

Hmmm. I've been on a doctor-ordered diet for about a month, and I've drank hardly any alcohol at all for the past couple of months, but I never related the two. So, it sounds like I've stumbled into doing something right. ;)

Tim

Walk as much as you can, for as long as you can stand it.  It takes time away from eating and drinking! 

That and a proper diet are your best options, as most other forms of exercise are much more difficult. 

Best of luck!

P. S. Yes, you can do it! 

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

Walk as much as you can, for as long as you can stand it.  It takes time away from eating and drinking! 

That and a proper diet are your best options, as most other forms of exercise are much more difficult. 

Best of luck!

P. S. Yes, you can do it! 

Thanks for the encouragement Paddy!!

walking is a killer for me. But I will do what I can. 

I swim for an hour each morning and ride bicycle 10 miles every day

If you haven't already tried this, walk in the pool. The water gives great resistance, thereby burning calories, and H2O provides buoyancy, taking some stress off of your joints. 

I've been dropping some summer weight, about 8#, by bicycle commuting, eating less (often), and slow sipping one shot max per night.  Makes me enjoy the whiskey better.  Makes the small bunker seem bigger.

22 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

I've been dropping some summer weight, about 8#, by bicycle commuting, eating less (often), and slow sipping one shot max per night.  Makes me enjoy the whiskey better.  Makes the small bunker seem bigger.

The big question is: will you still bicycle commute next week when it's raining? If so, good on you. Cycling is a great way to lose weight.

7 minutes ago, flahute said:

The big question is: will you still bicycle commute next week when it's raining? If so, good on you. Cycling is a great way to lose weight.

Yeah, last year I bought rain gear so I could ride every day, except for icy street mornings.  

40 minutes ago, Prof_Stack said:

Yeah, last year I bought rain gear so I could ride every day, except for icy street mornings.  

Good man!! I ride in the rain as well. It keeps the weight off and allows the bourbon habit to proceed without weight gain.

I just lost 30lbs + since June or so. I went from around 240 to 207 as of this morning.

I just cut down on portion size and started a regular gym routine. It helps a lot to make the gym a habit. I also found a couple regular workout buddies and that helps a lot.

I cut out the beer but kept a little bourbon every other night or so. About 1oz 3x a week doesn't seem to affect me much. I gave up all soda pop though.

On 9/17/2016 at 2:06 AM, flahute said:

Good man!! I ride in the rain as well. It keeps the weight off and allows the bourbon habit to proceed without weight gain.

Ha - I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and know that if you ride in Seattle, you ride in the rain!  I've heard that all y'all in Seattle don't tan much - you just kinda' rust.  Truth or Dare???  J/K . . . . . . . :lol:

And I've lost 26 pounds since last Thanksgiving and showed up at my 50th high school reunion last month about 5 pounds over my football playing weight from those days.  Just more exercise, less fatty foods, some IPAs with my son-in-law, and better bourbon!  At my age, it's never easy.   :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I have decided to take a break from drinking.  I have been stressed out from a real pain in the rear client at work the last six weeks or so, and I think it has caused me to imbibe more than I normally do, and in a more concentrated fashion than usual.  In addition to that, I haven't been eating well or exercising as much as I typically do.  Figured a break would help me focus on dealing with work stress in a healthier manner.

I'm finishing up week two of no booze having gotten back on the workout train.  Next week I'm going to try to maintain that, and also focus on reestablishing my more normal healthy eating habits.  I'll consider having a drink or two next weekend if I'm happy with my progress.  If not, I guess I will stay dry until I get where I want to be.  It has bothered me a few times, but going to bed seems to remove the temptation pretty easily.

Eric, only a weak-willed individual would give in to the temptation to forgo a chance to imbibe a nice Bourbon....Just MHO.    HA!   Kidding!

Anyone who has the strength of character to take a few weex off, is a man of stout heart and strong will in my book.    AND, when such a man returns to the fold, he is likely to find increased enjoyment in the re-acquaintance process.

Good on ya!

I'm borrowing one of my favorite phrases from an internet bourbon guru,  Bourbon should be fun!  If it ain't fun your not doing it right.

Kudos' for having priorities and knowing it can be fun! 

I'm still on my diet; it's going on three months now. I've had no alcohol. I've lost 17 pounds, so far.

Tim

• 4 months later...

Thought I would give this thread a bump. I was on vacation last week down in Fla. and drank my fair share, I had a glass in my hand all the time..(isn't that a Bob Seger line?) it was nice, but since last Wed. when I got back I have abstained and am going to try and see how long I can actually go without it. 

Today marks the longest I have been without a drink for quite some time (many years) So tomorrow will be a record. I am not going to make any promises to myself on how long, but so far it has not been so bad. Some slight headaches, body aches, which could be from lack of alcohol, but who knows with this shitty weather we are having around here. In Florida all of my aches disappear within a day.

Today was probably the hardest day so far..but managed to get thru it ...so far. I guess I just want to see how quitting will affect my body and mind.

Anyone else on a vacation from bourbon?

Oh yeh, this was a first for me while fishing and drinking, I had a few when I pulled this in, I was like... what the hell?

octo.jpg

octo1.jpg

3 hours ago, dSculptor said:

. . . Anyone else on a vacation from bourbon? . . .

Not a vacation, but for some reason I have only been pouring, maybe, up to an ounce on most nights the last two weeks in spite of having no other alcohol and not really missing the larger OR the second pour - even missed a couple nights and didn't think about it.  Change in the weather?  Shift to WTRB/WTMK Decades higher proof with their more complex flavors?  I am not going to think about it while it lasts.

I've now been on my diet for 7 months. I could count the drinks I've had in that time on both hands. I've had maybe two drinks in the past two months.

I have lost 32 pounds, and I've lost two pounds in the last two weeks. So, I'll continue not drinking. My current goal is to get to not obese on the BMI charts. That will take losing another 17 pounds. What fun!

Tim

Don't worry folks. Since I've returned the first of March I'm taking up a lot of yourall's slack. And my taste buds are in full bloom again. Once happy sipper here. :P

Edited by FacePlant

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.