What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2016

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got a few bottles of rye and bourbon for Father's Day.  The two bottles of rye were Pikesville (probably my favorite rye) and Ritt BIB.  It had been a while since I have had a bottle of Ritt BIB.  I occasionally get it at a restaurant my wife likes but I get it on the rocks because it is just too complicated to request it neat.  I decided to open the bottle and enjoyed a couple of pours neat.  It is certainly a top shelf rye regardless of price which in this case was $19.

Baby Saz.  Man, what a great rye.  Probably my favorite BT product outside the BTAC.

On 6/18/2016 at 6:25 PM, mbroo5880i said:

...it is just too complicated to request it neat.

Huh? How sh*tty is the bar at that restaurant that they can't manage a neat pour?

On Topic: I usually only have 1 bottle open at a time, and last night I got just below the half-way mark of a standard SAOS 7 year. No, not all in one night. Parents were visiting last week & Dad was using it in his manhattans.

Edited by GrPeMi

On my way back from the Bourbon Affair and have a delayed flight which is extending my layover in Minneapolis so I'm doing what any of us would do - have a drink. 

Sipping on a Knob Creek Rye. Never had it before because it's about $50 in Seattle. When I ordered, the bartender asked if I wanted a single or a double. I said single. If this pour is a single, I wish this bar was in my town. Needless to say, I have a lot to work with here. First impressions are favorable. 

Opened a High West Yippie Ki-Yay batch 4 last night.  It's definitely got a lot of young MGP Rye in it, but the barrel finish is a home run.  It's not as good as MWND, and is significantly hotter, but it scratches the itch.  It'd be a regular buy at half the price.

13 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Opened a High West Yippie Ki-Yay batch 4 last night.  It's definitely got a lot of young MGP Rye in it, but the barrel finish is a home run.  It's not as good as MWND, and is significantly hotter, but it scratches the itch.  It'd be a regular buy at half the price.

I enjoyed it. The wine influence is very strong, though. It's almost in barrel-aged cocktail territory.

Lost a friend tonight, so I'm having a tall pour of a PS KC in his honor.  He will be missed by many...

19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Lost a friend tonight, so I'm having a tall pour of a PS KC in his honor.  He will be missed by many...

Oh no! Sorry for your loss. I'll drink a toast to you and your friend this evening.

I'm working through a bottle of (ri)1 that I've had open for a while, and I'm trying to kill off.  I find this a very variable rye---some days it's awful, and some days it's good.  I'm not sure what if any difference there is between this stuff and Knob Creek rye (besides proof, obviously), but I shan't pay the premium for this stuff again.  However, today is a "good" day and I'm enjoying it.

Had some HW YKY last night and then stopped at a local store and saw it for $60. I have to go back and get another bottle. 

$60 is a great price. I think it is north of $70 here and maybe close to $80. If I didn't have a bunch of it already I would definitely get more at $60!

What Steve (AKA Flahute) said above re: KC rye.  I've had gallons of KC bourbon but bought my first KC Rye last month.  I like it.  Typical of KC vs. other stuff, it is rough and ready.  Do not think you will go gentle into that good night - better than coffee at jolting you awake.

Doing beef ribs today (about a 4 hour session at 225F).  Hence, I need something to keep me company for the next three hours ( as I'm about an hour into the cook session).  Pikesville 80 proof with LOTS of ice and a splash of Solerno blood orange is working just fine.  Taking bets on who is done first - me or the ribs.:P

EDIT - Of course, I'm watching a Weber kettle, not the oven.  Even I know the difference.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
clarification

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

What Steve (AKA Flahute) said above re: KC rye.  I've had gallons of KC bourbon but bought my first KC Rye last month.  I like it.  Typical of KC vs. other stuff, it is rough and ready.  Do not think you will go gentle into that good night - better than coffee at jolting you awake.

A great description of the KC Rye, Harry.  Some ryes are herbal, some earthy, some minty.  The KC is one of those that shmacks ya good!  Big, bold, and Spicy.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

A great description of the KC Rye, Harry.  Some ryes are herbal, some earthy, some minty.  The KC is one of those that shmacks ya good!  Big, bold, and Spicy.  

I agree with the both of you. Given that it was my first rumble with this whiskey I wasn't sure if it was just me or if it was as bold and prickly as I thought it was. Glad to hear my palate wasn't deceiving me.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I agree with the both of you. Given that it was my first rumble with this whiskey I wasn't sure if it was just me or if it was as bold and prickly as I thought it was. Glad to hear my palate wasn't deceiving me.

Yessir!  But ya know what puzzles the tar out of me?  It's how the KC Rye has that prickly boldness, while JB Rye and Old Overholt are so utterly bland to me.  I'm not sure of the age of KCR, but can it be just the proof bump?

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Doing beef ribs today (about a 4 hour session at 225F).  Hence, I need something to keep me company for the next three hours ( as I'm about an hour into the cook session).  Pikesville 80 proof with LOTS of ice and a splash of Solerno blood orange is working just fine.  Taking bets on who is done first - me or the ribs.:P

EDIT - Of course, I'm watching a Weber kettle, not the oven.  Even I know the difference.

Harry, one can learn a lot from you, I think I've got cooking/smoking on the Weber down.  Now, I just need to keep bourbon in the nearest trash can at all times...I'm putting a WT101 in my office right now.

Really? I've only had it once, but it didn't taste much like rye to me. I need to try it again. I only tried it at a party after a few other drinks. I'm also into mgp rye, so that gives a much bigger rye spice than others.

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Really? I've only had it once, but it didn't taste much like rye to me. I need to try it again. I only tried it at a party after a few other drinks. I'm also into mgp rye, so that gives a much bigger rye spice than others.

Could be a difference of palate, which is what makes whiskey so great. Could be the drinks you had before altered your palate temporarily. It's most likely your affinity to MGP rye. At 95% rye in the mashbill, it's going to taste a lot different from a Beam rye in the low 60's% (or lower, approx.).

Enjoyed a lovely pour of Jeff 10 rye.  Not a NCF batch, but still a delicious rye!  

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yessir!  But ya know what puzzles the tar out of me?  It's how the KC Rye has that prickly boldness, while JB Rye and Old Overholt are so utterly bland to me.  I'm not sure of the age of KCR, but can it be just the proof bump?

I've been trying to come up with smart reply since last night but I got nothin'.

Best I can speculate is warehouse location. Maybe the KC Rye comes from a higher floor and gets more of the barrel involved. I was tasting some char in there so it's possible I guess.

I opened a bottle of regular Saz from the bunker.  I don't like to use the word baby.  The bottom of the bottle has an 08.  I hadn't had any of this for a long time.  Basically, we don't get it around here anymore.  First impression - man, this tastes a lot like some of the MGP rye I've tried.  It has that apricot sweetness; reminds me of early Willett bottlings of Indiana rye.  I had to check the bottle to make sure it said KY. :lol:

I guess that's why some of us have bunkers/collections.

I had a small pour of some saos rye .it was great.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Started with Pikesville - always a satisfying and rewarding pour. Following with Michter's Barrel Strength Rye. I still hate them, but this is a fine pour. 

Hmmm...repeat of Tuesday's post. Pikesville - last pour from the bottle - just a beautiful pour. I'm happy to make this a regular. Following with Michter's Barrel Strength Rye. I really want to hate these guys, but this is fantastic rye whiskey. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.