What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2016

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened my first bottle of Northern Harvest rye with my team in NY on Thursday.  Brexit added some stress and this was a nice way to relax.  Great QPR here.  Ok, well maybe not from the USA but is from the North American continent.

Edited by El Vino

Having the tail end of my bottle of Ritt354. Really enjoying it. Hopefully the store I got this from a year ago still has some. 

Kicking off the holiday weekend with Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye - the Kentucky Bourbon Affair barrel pick. It's a freshly cracked bottle and first impressions are extremely favorable. There's a wonderful mix of sweetness and rye spice. Going to let it sit for a while and see if it changes at all.

Had just a taste of the Booker's Rye without much time to savor it but my immediate impression was "this is complex and will take some time to really get the nuance"

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a bottle of Baby Saz this week. I opened it and tried it neat. It has a real nice spiciness without being overpowering, and then finishes with a nice warm finish.

I then put it on ice and enjoyed a pour. It is a very nice drink.

Out on the deck with SWMBO with two fingers of 3yr Willett Family Estate Single Barrel (their own juice) over a spherical Tavovlo ice ball with an embedded sprig of fresh mint.  It's a celebration of another annual physical with great HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) reading and a 26 pound weight loss from last year.  I just knew whiskey was good for you!   :P 

14 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Out on the deck with SWMBO with two fingers of 3yr Willett Family Estate Single Barrel (their own juice) over a spherical Tavovlo ice ball with an embedded sprig of fresh mint.  It's a celebration of another annual physical with great HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) reading and a 26 pound weight loss from last year.  I just knew whiskey was good for you!   :P 

Congrats on the good numbers!  Keep enjoying your whiskey.  It is good for you!

10 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Congrats on the good numbers!  Keep enjoying your whiskey.  It is good for you!

Many thanks - following it up with a nice pour of Stagg Jr. before putting some prime porterhouse steaks on the grill tonite.  Life is good, yes?   :D

I was tasting some rye in My cabinet. After pouring some double rye. I started reaching for the SAOS 7YR rye...

Then I realized double eye was 2 and 16 year MGP rye. SA was 7 year MGP rye.

So I poured some of both to get my first glass of Smooth West Triple Rye.

Oh wow is it going down nice!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Started on a sample of Sazerac 18 which a good friend was kind enough to send me, awesome stuff. Moved onto a 2014 Michters 10 year single barrel rye, which obviously doesn't match up but is still good nonetheless.

Cheers all!

4 hours ago, beasled said:

Started on a sample of Sazerac 18 which a good friend was kind enough to send me, awesome stuff. Moved onto a 2014 Michters 10 year single barrel rye, which obviously doesn't match up but is still good nonetheless.

Cheers all!

Rumor was some of the early bottles of the Michter's 10 rye were much older than 10yo and from the same source as the Saz 18. No proof that I know of and Michter's certainly isn't talking.

• 2 weeks later...

40g of Bulleitt Rye.  Metallic taste is unusual, but the overall flavor is good.

I've been drinking these rye whiskies this summer, among a couple others. I'm particularly a fan of rye with little or no corn.  

0708161651a.jpg

I've been song a lot of whistlepig lately. How do you like it?

2 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

You have been what??

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

1 hour ago, Thig said:

You have been what??

I am guessing maybe "seeing"?

Yes.

Seeing.

I miss my real keyboard. Cel phonetics are mice but I havre big hams.

17 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

In my opinion WhistlePig is fantastic (and Boss Hog is a show stopper). Massive fruit spice and vanilla notes drown out all the marketing missteps and even the crazy price for what it is. And it's an absolute shame that Beam isn't putting out a 10 year Alberta distillate based on WhistlePig/Masterson's/LockStock/Jefferson's success. 

For the money though, Hochstadter's Vatted--it also has a wee bit of Alberta distillate--is the best of the very good photo'd lot. 

7 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

In my opinion WhistlePig is fantastic. 

Inspired me to pour some WP 10yr CS from a private selection . . . and I keep forgetting how fantastic it is!  

7 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Inspired me to pour some WP 10yr CS from a private selection . . . and I keep forgetting how fantastic it is!  

I haven't seen the WP 10yr CS local, but I did see it pop up and then sell out on Caskers. I'll have to keep a close watch for it to come back, as I've been wanting a bottle for a while now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.