What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2016

Vosgar
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some Ritt354 tonight. Light on the rye profile, very bourbon-like.

Received a bottle of the High West Rendezvous Rye that has received an extra 20 months in used Manhattan barrel.  It gets good comments, so I have high hopes.  

On April 26, 2016 at 0:30 PM, Madhatter said:

Received a bottle of the High West Rendezvous Rye that has received an extra 20 months in used Manhattan barrel.  It gets good comments, so I have high hopes.  

I just finished a bottle of this whisky and have another ready to open next fall!!!

A well-meaning friend recently gifted me a bottle of Templeton. With a splash of Stagg Jr added to it, it's not too bad.

HW 21yr. It's fun to go to the bar and have them pull my personal bottle out for a quick after work nip.

Especially on a cold, rainy afternoon

B

Sent from my iPhone

Was given a sample of Whistlepig 10yr from a  fellow enthusiast. 10 yr, 100%rye a nice hit of rye spice ( better be at 100% ) I am very inexperienced with ryes but I am enjoying this very much. Layers of vanilla, clove, spice. I don't see myself taking one to the register at the going price but I am having fun on this little detour into rye land.

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Was given a sample of Whistlepig 10yr from a  fellow enthusiast. 10 yr, 100%rye a nice hit of rye spice ( better be at 100% ) I am very inexperienced with ryes but I am enjoying this very much. Layers of vanilla, clove, spice. I don't see myself taking one to the register at the going price but I am having fun on this little detour into rye land.

Whistlepig can be good, it's just too damn hard to enjoy it without feeling like you need to take a shower afterward.

On 5/5/2016 at 0:53 AM, flahute said:

Whistlepig can be good, it's just too damn hard to enjoy it without feeling like you need to take a shower afterward.

:D  Thanks.  I, too, like it but . . .

Started with Rittlepig, finished with Pikesville. Pikesville is the winner.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Started with Rittlepig, finished with Pikesville. Pikesville is the winner.

Hmmm, with the cost being relatively the same, I may have blended my last batch of RP.  Additional research is required, of course.;)

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye is really hitting the spot. Lots of spicy goodness and a nice long finish. Too bad this bottle's almost gone.

My brother-in-law was in town this weekend, which means it's rye whiskey time. We had some baby Saz, Saz 18 and a private selection Jefferson's 10yr that was pretty damned good. So good in fact that he drank about 1/3 of the bottle :D

Pikesville.  My first bottle of this stuff.  Amazingly good, and for 110 proof, easily drinkable neat with virtually no burn at all.  Amazing.

Willett 3 year old rye to celebrate the Blues opening win against San Jose. This is 3 years old? Lots of folks are doing this aging thing wrong (or maybe, just maybe starting from vastly inferior stock) because this is a really damn nice rye.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

In a rye mood which is rare for me these days. Finished off my Rittlepig blend. It was a good save for the Whistle Pig standard that I didn't like, but I won't purposely recreate it. Following with basic Rittenhouse BIB. Sometimes I love it, sometimes it just so so. Tonight is a so so night. I'll follow this with some Pikesville to see if two extra years makes a difference for me when the 4yr old Ritt is not being particularly impressive.

Winter has returned to the bluegrass, so I've taken solace with a dose of WTRR, which was promptly followed by a helping from a PS KC bottle.  Winning! 

Last evening, after a little Famous Grouse 18, had a nice pour of one my Astor SAOS CS ryes (8 or 9 years old, I forget).  The SAOS is just an amazing rye--scratch that, simply an amazing whisk[e]y.  I put more water in than normal, as I wasn't quite in the mood for CS, and the flavor still shone through.  Beautiful stuff (Grouse 18 good as always as well).

20 hours ago, Hrchokie said:

Picked up a bottle of Willett Rye today. Anybody ever had it?

I've had numerous Willett Ryes and they've all been good. Anything above 3yrs old currently on the market is sourced from MGP in Indiana. (Except the 20+ year old ryes that are from an unknown source). Unfortunately, the pricing has gotten out of hand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.