Coopers' Craft Bourbon

Richnimrod
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just saw a press release for a new 'premium' Bourbon from Brown-Forman (in Monday's Detroit News).    It apparently is being bottled (or soon will be) for a Summer release in 8-Southern States (doesn't say which ones).

It's to be called Coopers' Craft Bourbon.   The label on the stubby, round bottle shown in the pic can't be read clearly; but I assume from the article referring to it as 'premium' that will be a Straight Bourbon.

No proof is readable, nor is an age statement.      I know the proof must be on the label, not so sure about the age statement or anything else.

Anybody have any information about Coopers' Craft Bourbon????    The states of distribution?   Proof?   Age?    Distillery?   Anything else?

(Mods: Feel free to place this query  in the Premiums thread or elsewhere, as you see fit.)

At 82.2 proof there seems to be more water than craft in this particular bottle and at an MSRP of $30 or so it seems likely to be little more than 4 years old given the current price structure of whisky these days.

Not real clear when the charcoal filtering takes place. Would be interesting if it goes through the charcoal filtering process described in the article (with beech and birch rather than maple) prior to barreling but is labeled as straight bourbon as that might help put to rest the long standing argument about the fact that Dickel and Daniels is bourbon that they just elect not to label as such. But I presume they could pour it through the charcoal after barrel aging. Not sure how that might affect the taste but have to think it might make it a bit sweeter or "softer". That is how Dickel's MGP sourced rye is done, albeit with maple charcoal, and it seems to mellow that a bit.

They're using a different mashbill than OF, with slightly less Rye and more corn, so that it won't be as "spicy." It sounds like everything they're doing with this one is designed to create an entry-level bourbon that will appeal to people who like the concept of bourbon more than the taste of it. Sounds like good business I guess.

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

At 82.2 proof there seems to be more water than craft in this particular bottle and at an MSRP of $30 or so it seems likely to be little more than 4 years old given the current price structure of whisky these days.

Not real clear when the charcoal filtering takes place. Would be interesting if it goes through the charcoal filtering process described in the article (with beech and birch rather than maple) prior to barreling but is labeled as straight bourbon as that might help put to rest the long standing argument about the fact that Dickel and Daniels is bourbon that they just elect not to label as such. But I presume they could pour it through the charcoal after barrel aging. Not sure how that might affect the taste but have to think it might make it a bit sweeter or "softer". That is how Dickel's MGP sourced rye is done, albeit with maple charcoal, and it seems to mellow that a bit.

I know good old Evan Williams Black touts on its label that its Charcoal filtered.  Pretty sure that is after barrel aging

5 minutes ago, VAGentleman said:

I know good old Evan Williams Black touts on its label that its Charcoal filtered.  Pretty sure that is after barrel aging

Good point. Many products probably are. So more PR BS than anything really meaningful I suppose.

5 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

The Jim Beam ads feature an attractive woman bragging that the bourbon is aged twice as long as it has to be--as if four whole years was some fantastic selling point. Read enough labels and you may find that being aged in oak barrels is somehow special. Or, hold your breath now, the bourbon is distilled from organic, gluten-free grains and based on a family recipe passed down by William the Conqueror. The new bourbon sounds like OF in new bottles to me.

As I read the following blurb from the B-F spokeswoman," that MoWhiskey linked above, I couldn't help but think how this is almost exactly the verbiage and features of bourbon releases during a much darker time for the industry, when they were trying to promote "light" bourbons as a lighter, softer, more mixable spirit to compete more with clear spirits...during the glut...Certainly there has been a change in fortunes for B-F and the other distilleries since those times, and their goal is not based in desperation like then, but they still are trying the same things because that target market exists.  

"Brown-Forman spokeswoman Andrea Duvall said that Coopers’ Craft... giving it a less spicy flavor profile.

... it is filtered through charcoal made from beech and birch wood, giving it extra smoothness and oakiness, she said.

“It’s a lighter, softer flavor that brings out the oak, with a bit more citrus notes,” Duvall said. “Because of its a lighter flavor profile ... it’s versatile, very mixable, and intended to be really good in cocktails that are easy to make at home.”

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Certainly there has been a change in fortunes for B-F and the other distilleries since those times, and their goal is not based in desperation like then, but they still are trying the same things because that target market exists.  

I think the good thing is that this target market is following the trend instead of driving it. 

I totally agree with Joe.     And, I'm not sold that this the best use of the first new release for BF in Twenty Years!

Of course, as Joe points out, the market exists; and maybe the prognosticators at BF are putting the right spin, on the right juice, at the right price to grab a share of it.

It doesn't make me want to open my wallet, however.    I understand that distilling whiskey is a business, and that profits must be made when/where they can be; but that doesn't mean this offering will appeal to me, or to many here, I imagine.

Hmmmmm... Maybe instead of groaning about how B&F is releasing this "light" bourbon for yuppies and how it's not something a real bourbon enthusiast would buy, we should be talking it up as the next big trendy bourbon! Heck a bourbon bar ain't worth it's salt if it doesn't have Coopers Craft on the shelf! Then maybe these whiskey wannabes will go grab a few bottles of that instead of the Eagle Rare or the Bakers or the 4RSB.

2 hours ago, MOwhisky4me said:

Hmmmmm... Maybe instead of groaning about how B&F is releasing this "light" bourbon for yuppies and how it's not something a real bourbon enthusiast would buy, we should be talking it up as the next big trendy bourbon! Heck a bourbon bar ain't worth it's salt if it doesn't have Coopers Craft on the shelf! Then maybe these whiskey wannabes will go grab a few bottles of that instead of the Eagle Rare or the Bakers or the 4RSB.

RIGHT YOU ARE, MO!      I'm fairly certain that Cooper's Craft is the next Pappy, and about to EXPLODE onto the market.  

While we poor idiots try desperately to find a single bottle, the smart collectors and flippers will be grabbing cases, cornering the market by hook and/or crook, leaving us out in the cold again.    Darn!!!

My post was more of an observation of the message comparisons that I thought interesting, if not ironic considering the different market environments, rather than an opinion on what I thought about the marketing message of Cooper's Craft.

From what I've read, I would be interested to try it (new mashbill and everything).  The emphasis on smooth, less spicy does lower my expectations - which might lead to a nice surprise (and if  not - I can't blame them for misleading me; and I didn't expect much).  The rye-spice kick is what I love about OF, but it sounds like this is going to be closer to the WR profile.  

On 4/13/2016 at 0:12 AM, Jacket said:

Yea - but it's Mila Kunis, so I'm tempted to overlook that minor detail....:)

Yea, she can stand over a barrel and brag as long as she wants. I can take it!:)

On April 13, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Jacket said:

Yea - but it's Mila Kunis, so I'm tempted to overlook that minor detail....:)

44 minutes ago, ebo said:

Yea, she can stand over a barrel and brag as long as she wants. I can take it!:)

Yeah, and she can pop my bung while she's at it. :lol:

I recently saw a dodgey looking NDP brand from MN called Coopers Mark.  The origin of the whiskey is a mystery as far as I know.  I wonder if B-F's people will ask them to change the label?

Big Red pitched this as less expensive than MM.  I thought, well of course it is!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.