Flask Bourbon - The Ugly

PowderKeg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recently received a freebie stainless flask after signing up on a NDP's website and opted to put it to use this weekend.  Soaped it up and gave it a real good cleaning before filling Sat a.m. with the last of my Larceny on hand.  Partook of a reasonable amount 4-8 hours later, but left some in the flask overnight.  Went to finish the remaining off Sun eve and this is what came out:

FlaskBourbon1.JPG

That's after @ 30 hours in the flask.  Needless to say, my desire for an evening nightcap plummeted.  Didn't notice any off-color or off-taste when partaking of a portion of the contents during the day Sat, but I wasn't looking too hard at the water bottle I was using as a makeshift sippin' glass either.  Didn't bother tasting the remaining, uh, contents, but couldn't detect any obvious metallic or off-odor.  Here's a quick 'n dirty side-by with some Henry McKenna BiB:

FlaskBourbon2.JPG

That's just nasty....

I picked up a very similar stainless flask at the KBF a few years ago and didn't notice a reaction like this after @ the same timeframe (and pre-cleaning) before enjoying the contents in a glass.

Guess I'll try cleaning it again and test it with some bottom shelf for a longer period to see if this is could be a recurring issue.  If so, it's either off to the the display shelf or the recycling bin...

Edited by PowderKeg
edit

That's pretty terrible.  I'm beginning to think these Chinese "stainless" flasks need surface passivation with concentrated nitric acid before they can be trusted!

I would definitely toss that flask!    If you wanna risk another wash and another fill... well, it's your time and your Bourbon (assuming that's what you put in).

I've had a couple "freebie" flasks like this and I've tossed 'em after the first experience.    I've also had Bourbon in a few different flasks for extended periods without any such results.... I had Bourbon in one which I filled and forgot (when the engagement for which it was prepared was postponed) for almost 3-months, and found no such issues upon pouring the contents.     A properly manufactured/prepared flask should be capable of storing a Bourbon without changes like this for at least that long, IMHO.

7 hours ago, TheNovaMan said:

That's pretty terrible.  I'm beginning to think these Chinese "stainless" flasks need surface passivation with concentrated nitric acid before they can be trusted!

Yes, surface passivation with concentrated nitric acid was what I was thinking, as well...I won't use any foreign stainless steel product before I give it a thorough surface passivation.  Surface passivation is the only way to go.  Besides, it's fun!  In fact, I'll surface passivate Chinese stainless 2 or 3 times for good measure.  Once usually does it for Brazilian stainless though, followed by a good wax coating...

I only use glass containers.  When I was looking at pictures of antique bottles, I noticed that a lot of the glass flasks from the 19th century are nearly the same size and shape as current maple syrup bottles.  So I save and use those.  You could also just re-use pint or half pint glass liquor bottles.

"surface passivation with concentrated nitric acid" - yeah...  Ok, this is more hassle than a freebie flask is worth.  Got a few 200ml bottles (glass and plastic) that'll get emptied and drafted for future use instead.  I'm just glad I didn't fill it with what I was reaching for first - OWA or the last of the SB blend - that would've been tragic...

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:07 AM, smokinjoe said:

Yes, surface passivation with concentrated nitric acid was what I was thinking, as well...I won't use any foreign stainless steel product before I give it a thorough surface passivation.  Surface passivation is the only way to go.  Besides, it's fun!  In fact, I'll surface passivate Chinese stainless 2 or 3 times for good measure.  Once usually does it for Brazilian stainless though, followed by a good wax coating...

Tell us more about the fun part of passivation! And, for good measure, how you apply a good wax job to the inside of a flask. I love science but haven't seen any really fun passivation since my last visit to a specialty machine shop.

We going to get into the effect of ethyl alcohol on lead solder?  I had a heck of a time finding a flask that explicitly said it did NOT have lead soldered seams.  Made me think using those plastic flasks of various sizes was a better idea.  After all, I only use them when fishing. 

7 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Tell us more about the fun part of passivation! And, for good measure, how you apply a good wax job to the inside of a flask. I love science but haven't seen any really fun passivation since my last visit to a specialty machine shop.

Come on, Fish!  Maybe, you need a refresher course!   You just need some pliers, 30 weight ball bearings, 3-in-One Oil, gauze pads, and 10 quarts of anti-freeze.  Preferably Prestone.  But, Quaker State will do.

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Come on, Fish!  Maybe, you need a refresher course!   You just need some pliers, 30 weight ball bearings, 3-in-One Oil, gauze pads, and 10 quarts of anti-freeze.  Preferably Prestone.  But, Quaker State will do.

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Nice Joe.

Fetzer valve. LOL,  Next you'll be telling us about Thevenin equivalents.  I just use a paper cup and rubber gloves.

EDIT - BTW, I found my flask.  It still has WT101 in it.  I don't  think I've ever put anything else in it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

ah, lead in whiskey, so underappreciated.  That delicious looking result from your flask makes the gourmand's mouth water anticipating the bonne femme savory piquant result, perhaps its risen to have au poivre qualities.  But if it's coulis, it's still good for flamber.

Edited by B.B. Babington

Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. My personal preference was for Lux, but I found Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor - heady, but with just a touch of mellow smoothness. Life Buoy, on the other hand.....

Edited by flahute

Geez - you guys are all SICK puppies!   Thevenin equivalents (as an alum of MIT '70, I think I remember what those are), the comparative taste of soaps (how many times did my Mom wash my mouth out with dish soap?!?) and the joys of drinking lead (we're not going there, are we?) - too funny.   Thanks for my Sunday morning belly laugh.   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen

9 hours ago, Scotch Neat said:

Now I know what happened to all those China made dog bowls that were recalled.

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/January-2013/Petco-Recalls-Radiation-Tainted-Pet-Food-Bowls/

Many years ago we had a dog. She refused to eat from metal dog bowls. Kinda makes me wonder now….:unsure: And, are my flasks made of the same stuff? :o What's a mother to do? ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.